Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleanfreak_2010

Dining room set

cleanfreak_2010
9 years ago

Hi all,
Not sure which forum is most appropriate for this but thought I would take a shot here. I just purchased a used dining room set from a local consignment shop. Looking to see what I can find out about it. I can't tell if it's 20 years old or 100. I know nothing about furniture, just know that I like this set very much and will be refinishing or painting and reupholstering it.

Does anyone have any ideas on who the manufacturer might possibly be, what style you would call this set, and what type of wood it may be?

Here is a photo, a few more to come...

Comments (32)

• cleanfreak_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of just the chair...

• cleanfreak_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a close up of the table top.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

This is from the late 1960s, (1964-1972), they called the style Country French or French Country, at that time, and caned backs were popular with this type.

These pieces often drew from many types of 18th french forms, but in a low or country version. This piece is a little more refined, the designer being influenced by late Louis XVI or Directoire.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I purchased a very similar set in the 80's, so it's really hard to guess the age. Are there any marking or stamps on it?

• porkandham
    9 years ago

My guess would be 1960s.

• User
    9 years ago

1960s-1980s ... Loosely styled after some "French" designs.

Probably "Fruitwood", which was pecan or other hardwood.

Looks like a NICE set, and it can blend with all sorts of styles.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

my mom had a couple of wood tables and secretary she bought in early 70's from EA that were pecan and looked a lot like that wood...

• cleanfreak_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the replies!

I would almost have guessed cherry from the grain, except that it has all these tiny dark flecks throughout, on the table, the chairs and the leaves. Like a sprinkling of coarse black pepper. It doesn't appear to be anything on top of the finish, but rather below it. I got the set in Augusta, GA, so I would love to assume it is pecan since there are many pecan trees in the area I now call home.

The only 2 markings I could find were under the chair seats: I630 and C-821.

In the store, I didn't like the color of the wood, but now that I have it home, the color looks so much richer. I'm thinking of painting the chairs and the base of the table and using a glaze to enhance the details, but leaving the table top as is. It has a few marks here and there, but nothing too terrible. Just looks well broken in. If I don't love it that way, I can always paint it later.

Any suggestions for paint colors? I have so much trouble knowing what goes with what (which is why I'm poking around on this forum) and all you guys seem to have such great style. The dining room is a light blue-green, as is the adjacent living room. Furniture in the living room is very neutral beiges and browns. I'll be re-upholstering away those red seats as they don't go with anything in my home. Our style is pretty casual, and this set is way more fancy than any furniture I've ever had. Never had a separate dining room before, so I'm looking to pretty it up with this table and some window treatments, maybe a buffet/server along the wall.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome!

• momfromthenorth
    9 years ago

I would NOT paint that wood. It's very pretty and just needs a good cleaning. There are stain markers that you can use to cover up any little nicks in the wood. I would ditch the seat cushions and put new cushions on - something modern or a pretty blue velvet (depending on you style) then the entire set will look brand new. It's much prettier than the cheap wood that is sold today. Those chairs with the caned seat backs will be very comfortable too.

• User
    9 years ago

If you paint the wood in a soft gray blue color that will give it a definite European/Scandiinavian country feel, on the more refined end of the scale as Lily noted above.

If your adjacent rooms are neutral and brown, I would suggest painting the chairs and parts of the table as you've indicated and then upholstering the seats in a fabric that incorporates a blue gray and brown or other color in your living room.

I too think the wood is pecan, and while it is a nice set--- certainly the wood is better quality than anything you'd find today at the price----- it is not "too nice" or valuable to change and has a bit too much orange for my taste. I think the proposed paint makeover would make these pieces fresh and pretty again.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

In the 70's they painted and glazed the chairs and the base of the table and called it Country French Provincial. If that is the appearance for your home, then you are heading on the right track, but it may appear very dated.

If you paint the chairs and table base and then sand them and distress them, add slipcover seats they will then be Shabby Chic in appearance.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Caned backs are such a classic addition to any room. It reminds me about the bygone 60s era. We would suggest trying roman blinds in the rooms with it. It will create a sync with the furniture and make your interiors a work of art.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I am with Sippimom to not paint the wood. First do the re-upholstering and live with it for a year or more. It is lovely wood, and once painted is a real pain to reverse. If you look at the posted photos of painted tables, they are much more country in feel than your set, and not the quality of wood of yours. Although painted wood seems to be current fashion, I think it would in the long run reduce the value of your set. If you decide you really don't like it after some time, then revisit the decision to not paint, but for now, I'd just do the re-upholstering. IME it's relatively easy to pop out the chair pad if you decide later you want to change the finish.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

The only way I would paint that set is with a professional job. You need a great deal of prep, appropriate finish, not just paint, and a spray system.
    The wood is good wood and the finish is fine the way it is. I would live with it for a while, recover the seats and perhaps work on the room, before you make a decision.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I think it's great that your adjoining rooms have blue-greens because that spectrum seems to be the complementary color way for the pecan, though not in grayed out tones. I think I'd start by shopping for some fabric swatches in blues and greens, particularly mid-tone in depth. Playing around with what you want for seat cushions would be a great start to enjoying your new table and envisioning what you want the finished results to look like.

I'm usually a fan of painted furniture but not sure I'd go that route, either. And as some folks are pointing out, it's not something that's so easy to undo.

Congrats on your table!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Pretty dining set! :)

Yes -- a vote to paint the chairs and the table base in fresh white to work with the white-painted paneling in the dining room ....

check out the range of Annie Sloan paints and glazes ....

• teacats
    9 years ago

Inspiration from Pinterest .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- inspiration photo

• User
    9 years ago

Like this, but with a blue / brown upholstery fabric

• User
    9 years ago

Or this

• User
    9 years ago

Chair close up

• suero
    9 years ago

Based on the shape of the chairs, I think that the furniture is Drexel Heritage from the early 1960's.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Cane flexes--you'll get little crackledy bits if you paint that part. I have a feeling the chair pictured above has not yet been sat in!

The little black dots...yeah that was a thing. I have a few dotted pieces.

I'm surprised there is no manufacturer marks on the underside of the table or seats.

• User
    9 years ago

The black dots are paint. It's an antiquing technique with the attractive name of "flyspecking".

• cleanfreak_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the rest of my house is not so refined as this table appears. So I thought painting the table base and chairs would make this set a little more casual, but with a pretty and interesting shape. The table top is in pretty good condition, so thought I would pay respect to the wood by leaving that part alone. The legs of the chairs are pretty rough though....someone's puppy did some chewing here and there, so my intention was to use wood filler, sandpaper and paint to make them look nice again. I'm pretty good with a paintbrush, but no experience at all with wood refinishing. I'm not too worried about de-valuation....I plan on keeping this for the long term and I only paid $300 anyway. Not chump change, but I thought it was a great deal for an 8 foot table (with all the leaves in) and six chairs.

I love all the pics you guys posted, so dreamy.....I think I'm in love with the way those painted tables look, especially that gray one with all the carvings....it made my heart skip a beat! If I went with the gray, I think I'd have to do the table top as well I think. I'm intrigued by those boxy tie-on seat covers, too. I need something that can be somehow moisture proofed or tossed in the washer once in a while. One of my cats loves to sleep on chairs up under a table, and once in a while, as cats will, she pukes. I covered the chairs for my kitchen table in a soft faux leather to address that problem, but I don't think that would look right on these chairs. However, I could sew a layer of vinyl on the underneath side of tie-on covers so the pads wouldn't get soaked.

Have any of you ever seen cane-back chairs painted with a contrasting color on the caning? I was kind of thinking of painting one color on the table base and caning, and then another color on the wood part of the chairs for a two-tone effect. Would that be weird??

Thank you all so much for your opinions and your help! :)

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Painting them will turn that dining set into an eyesore;
    those cane backs will start flaking the second the paint dries.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I would wait a bit before you paint. It may not be necessary. The room is lacking in ornamentation. Even a centerpiece would make the set more homey. I think your room needs a rug more than anything else. That tile looks so cold.

The fabric you choose can do a lot to make the room more casual.

Have you removed the leaf and two chairs? How about a new picture?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

There was someone a while ago on GW who was going to paint her cane headboard, with others posting pics of their painted cane.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: painting cane

• User
    9 years ago

I have cane back chairs; the front surface of the chair back is upholstered but the back surface is exposed cane. It was painted expertly by our own GWer mythreedogs and is in perfect condition......no paint has flaked.

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

I would not paint but would think about staining either the chairs or table darker.

• lindabarbara
    9 years ago

I was so interested in this post because I have a similar set. My set, which includes a large curved china cabinet and a buffet, was purchased in the late 60 s. The wood is fruitwood and if you notice the chair legs are straight and not curved which is Italian Provincial and not French.

I sometimes feel the set is out of date and not in the same style as other furniture in my home. But for the amount of times I actually use the set, it will stay. I'm looking for a " not too fancy" chandelier for the room now.

Just my two cents.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Beautiful set, congrats on your fabulous bargain. Here's more inspiration: painted & glazed chairs, dark table.

Here is a link that might be useful: painted chairs, dark table

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022