Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim089_gw

Need Advice On Color Schemes For Open Floor Plan Home

Kim089
11 years ago

Hi, my husband and I just purchased our first home in November 2011. All of the walls were white when we bought the home...we CANNOT stand white walls..BUT the living room, hallway, dining room, and kitchen are all connected and open so this makes it difficult to choose which colors to use on which walls. We would like to avoid using just one color, so we are needing some inspiraton and advice on color schemes throughout an open floor plan home. We really prefer light brown and beige colors. I have attatched pics to kind of show you our 'blank canvas'. Haha. The pics of the kitchen are from before we moved in, I couldn't get the same pics with my camera...we are also planning on replacing the laminate with a 'jeweled coral' laminate and doing a tile/stone backsplash before we paint,so it will all actually match. The theme in our house is western and we want it to look cozy! Sorry for the book! lol This is my 1st ever post on this sight!! If anyone would care to share their photos for inspiration, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

To compliment your coral countertop, a muted aqua would look wonderful, you could continue it in to the dining room or go for a soft beige for both dining room and living room. I can visualize it and then bring a little of that color via accessories in to the living room.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Here's a link with lots of Western items and ideas. Hope it helps. Go to Benjamin Moore.com and type in earth colors which would look lovely. All of them would work, it's just what you prefer. A lovely tannish gray paint is called Smokey Taupe by Sherwin Williams. I used it in one large family room and dining room and did an off whitish cream color for the kitchen. Everyone compliments it. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: western decor

• Kim089
    Original Author
    11 years ago

grandmaof3..the pictures of the kitchen were from when the previous home owner lived here..I'm attaching some updated pics. Sorry for the confusion. Also, I have always had a hard time arranging the furniture in our living room since it is so oddly shaped! :( We are thinking about getting a wrap around couch and maybe a recliner to make things easier and look better.

yayagal, thanks for the link! You hit the nail on the head with earth colors! Exactly what I'm looking for..just hard to choose which ones. lol I've seen a lot of turquoise crosses and turquoise western decor, which I think would compliment the colors well!
    Would you mind sharing pictures of the family room and dining room? Thanks again!!

I hate posting these pics because our house is so bare! lol But I always stop to remind myself that we are only 23 and just starting out! :)

• Kim089
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to post a picture of our spare room/family room so you can see how we have it. It was already painted when we moved in. It used to be the garage.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

What a nice starter home! You can most certainly use more than one color in that space. You can use a small piece of trim to cut the color from the hallway to the kitchen. See my dining room/living room color change and white trim piece.

Other than the advice already given, may I add something that I have taught my 3 children when setting up their homes? After painting, lower your pictures and wall groupings to be about eye height to the middle of the subject (unless you are super tall) as this rule will "marry" your subjects/objects to your furniture underneath. Hope I explained that OK. ;)

• Kim089
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I totally understand what you mean with the pictures! :) I LOVE your white trim piece! That is a great idea..it not only allows you to divide the color of the separate spaces, but it adds a lot more to the look of your home. Very pretty! Thank you!

• demeron
    11 years ago

I agree some color would make all the difference. The blog Finding Home shows a really lovely use of BM's Flowering Herb. I have some of her rooms on my Pinterest page. I have Churchill Hotel Hazy Yellow (Lowe's color) which looks tan on the strip but on the wall is a wonderful, not too sweet yellow. I am going to try a lighter shade of it on adjoining walls. I've also heard that you can pick three favorite colors and use them with different emphasis in each room. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowering Herb (not my room, alas!)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES