Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deniseandspike

Is there an intense yellow that would work

deniseandspike
15 years ago

Do you know of an intense yellow/gold or a bluish silver color that would work with my red rust colored curtains, dark brown leather furniture and an accent chair in aqua? This is my living room that doesn't get much sun. It's in the back of the house and gets the morning sun only. I tried a swatch of revere pewter and it looks good in the morning and at noon, but the only time we usually see this room is in the evening and at night--then it looks like battleship gray--a little depressing. I'm going for the vintage 50s look so is there a yellow that would work that would look vintage but not garish?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (33)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

How about EK Mustard Seed?

• deniseandspike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Amy--is there a color match for EK Mustard Seed in BM or SW paints so I can run out and get a sample pot to try?

• yborgal
    15 years ago

We used BM Stuart Gold in combo with our red and olive colors. It's strong, bright and cheery, IMHO. Maybe it would work for you?

• yborgal
    15 years ago

Whoa! It's not that bright IRL. It's strong and bold, but not blinding!!

• lyfia
    15 years ago

D - do you think the color in my living areas would work? I'm not liking it because it is too bright for me especially when it is gloomy and dark outside, but i like softer tones to start with. In bright sun-shine it looks much softer.

If so it is called Filoli Honey and it is a Valspar color. I think you can find it at Lowe's. We got the color from the local lumber yard and it was matched in SW paint. I only wished I'd seen how it looked in dark and gloomy weather as it is way to bright for my liking.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

EK Mustard Seed is what I would use. There is no color match in BM or SW because Ellen keeps those formulas exlusive to her business. Unless, someone here has a gallon of Mustard Seed and the formula is written on the can. When I have purchased EK paints the formula was never written down. Remember it's full spectrum paint and has 7-8 pigments while most paints have 3-4 pigments.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Isn't there a great pic of EK Mustard Seed, on the gold and yellow thread, in the gallery?

It was of a small back room done with a red/rust ceiling. Great way to see both the colors, at work, together.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Here's a few that I like:

BM Shelburne Buff
    {{!gwi}}

Georgiagal's SW Whole Wheat
    {{!gwi}}

Newhomebuilder's BM Decatur Buff
    {{gwi:1548355}}

Bonnie's SW Restrained Gold
    {{!gwi}}

mnhockeymom's BM Honeymoon
    {{gwi:1548354}}

Laurie

• User
    15 years ago

We put Warm Muffin by Behr in our living room, thought it was an off brown when it was on the swatch, but once it was on the wall, it's a soft golden yellow. Everyone who comes into the room loves it. It's warm and not too bright. It would look wonderful with the colors reflected in your pictures.

To give you an idea of what it looks like, here's a not so good picture of it from when we were installing our new front door:

{{!gwi}}

• deniseandspike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll try to pick up some more samples tomorrow to try out.

• Meghane
    15 years ago

This is Miner's Sun from Behr

{{!gwi}}

• deniseandspike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got a few more swatches up on the wall today. I didn't get a chance to go by the Ben Moore store or Lowes yet. I ordered the large swatches from EK so I'll have to wait for those to come in. Here are the ones I tried so far. I'm not sure if you can tell the difference in the day/night shots with my camera flash.

Day:

{{!gwi}}

Night:

{{!gwi}}

Day:

{{!gwi}}

Night:

{{!gwi}}

I couldn't get any pictures without the little ham wanting his picture taken.

I'm liking the blue colors and hubby is liking the darkest yellow/gold color.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

You will like the EK Mustard in that room I think plus her paint has this depth and soft glow that really warms up a room.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

dk, I like the darker gold color myself. The silver blue might make the room too cold looking with your black sofas. Plus the dark gold looks great with the burgundy drapes.

msrose, I love your shelburne buff. I used the BM wilmington in my living room. I'd put a photo up but I don't know how yet.

• Boopadaboo
    15 years ago

I like the blue, but then I am partial to blue with dark red accents. :)

• msrose
    15 years ago

buddyrose - I wish that was my room :) It just one of the many pictures I've saved of paint colors and I don't remember who it belongs too. Wilmington Tan is another one of my favorite colors.

dktrahan - What colors are the samples you painted. I'm not sure I'm feeling any of them. I like the idea of the gold/yellow, but I think those are too vibrant and the blues are too blue. I think a soft silvery blue would look better if wanted a blue.

Laurie

• deniseandspike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The lightest color is the one the decorator recommended--BM Revere Pewter. The next lightest color is SW Comfort Gray--I actually bought the sample for a guest bedroom but I thought I would throw it up on the living room wall to see what it looked like. The next blue is also one I got for a bedroom but was too dark--BM Stratton Blue.

The lighter gold is SW Mannered Gold and the darker one is SW Chamois. I looked at the Restrained Gold but it looked too tan in my light. I went by Home Depot to look at a sample of Miner's Sun but they didn't have it on any of the chips. My monitor colors are way off so I can't tell from the posted pictures what the colors really look like.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I agree that Revere Pewter might be depressing at night. I have it in my master bath and while I love it during the day, sometimes at night I look at it and think "good thing I don't spend too much time in this room!" Also, just my 2 cents about bright golds -- we painted our dining room BM Stuart Gold (see monablair's pic above) and while I liked it a lot for a while, I got tired of it quickly, and we didn't even use the dining room that much. I think in a living room, unless you really REALLY love bold colors, it could be overwhelming. Just a thought. We just painted our living room SW Blonde, which may be too tan/gold for you, but in the process of looking at colors we also tried BM Harvest Time, which you might take a look at.

• msrose
    15 years ago

dktraham - Here's a picture of Mannered Gold that I saved to give you an idea of how it looks. I forgot to make of note of whose room this is. Anyone recognize it?

Laurie

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here's a couple more than might be along the line of what you're looking for:

Brutuses Gray Cashmere
    {{!gwi}}

Runninginplace's Gray Wisp
    {{!gwi}}

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

oops, just saw on another post where runninginplace said her paint color was Quiet Moments mixed at 50%, not Gray Wisp.

Laurie

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Here are some color samples from SW. I used SW because their swatches are easy to pull from the website. If you want to see a specific SW color or can post the actual swatch of a color I would be happy to add it to your image.

ALCHEMY
    {{!gwi}}

GOLDENROD
    {{!gwi}}

JUNE DAY
    {{!gwi}}

MINOR BLUE
    {{!gwi}}

TRADEWIND
    {{!gwi}}

TRANQUIL BLUE
    {{!gwi}}

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

dkt it's funny that we're going through what seems to be the same color selection process. I honed in on the yellow end for my purposes pretty quickly, I definitely prefer the yellows for your room as well.

I'm ending up with having BM custom mix a yellow in Aura paints because I just wasn't finding a ready mixed shade that worked for me, but I have to say the more I read about & see EK paints the more intrigued I am! I've ordered a sample kit from her, & if I were patient enough I would have waited because I'm thinking Mustard Seed would work well for me - and for you!

I look forward to getting my samples, & hearing what you think when you receive yours.

• User
    15 years ago

I like the yellows better. Like the goldenrod ps.

I do like the color of Boops room though. Love that red little sofa thing.!

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I have EK Mustard Seed in my family room, kitchen, and basement. We really love the color and we get a lot of compliments on the color when we have company.

Here are some pictures - Night and day -

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Hoyamom, I just love EK's Golden Mustard on your walls. I also love your floors. What wood species and stain are your floors? You have a beautiful room.

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

Thanks Lynn - the floors are just plain old Bruce Hardwood with Gunstock stain (now with nice little puncture marks LOL - but that's another thread).

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Thanks Hoyamom, my neighbor has the same floors and I didn't realize that your flooring what the pretty floors she has also. I guess I like Bruce's version of the Gunstock stain.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

My keyboard needs to be replaced and I am tired. I meant "I didn't realize that your flooring was the same pretty floor my neighbor has". :)

• deniseandspike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions and thank you Kelly for putting them in my space--it shows me that I don't like the blue with the furnishings I already have.

I'm definitely going to wait to decide until I get Ellen's color swatches. EK Mustard Seed doesn't look very dark to me on my monitor but I know that doesn't mean much.

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Dktran, you mentioned SW Chamois. We recently had our DR painted Chamois so thought you might want to take a look. These were taken right after the painting was finished. I'm also including a picture of our GR which was painted SW Restrained Gold

SW Chamois:

Restrained Gold:

• deniseandspike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deborah, I can't see your pictures.

• deniseandspike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops, I can see them now. Thanks!

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Hopefully the colors are reading true on your monitor!