Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has Anyone Repurposed Items in their Home?

Posted by aktillery (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 11:37

I made a lamp out of a piece of pottery for my mother-in-law. I then wired it and added a shade.

I think she really liked it. It was definitely her style!

Here is a link that might be useful: And another idea!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has Anyone Repurposed Items in their Home?

I am sorry I thought I had uploaded my photo@

Here it is... the lamp...

o

Yep! I got an old dresser and 2 wood bookcases I turned into a entertainment center.

Here is a link that might be useful: a few more photos

o

Oh that is so lovely Iruehl!

o

I love repurposing. We took down all our upper kitchen cabinets and replaced them with open shelving. I used the old corner cabinet along with one of the small upper cabinets to design a new floor cabinet! I also repurposed a dresser for a kitchen cabinet. I have done lots of other stuff too, but this is the latest...I think :)

Love the lamp, and the entertainment centre is gorgeous. What colour did you use on the backs of the bookshelves?

o

I have to take a picture. I have had these two hanging baskets for YEARS. like a basket with a big arch over it for hanging on the wall. I never hung them once. I have been carting them around for probably 10 years. I think they were from potterybarn. Well I needed a nightstand that my baby couldn't hurt himself on, so a week ago I finally hung them! One is hung so the bottom is on the floor and the other one just above it. Now I have a place for kids books, my ipad, to put my glasses, chapstick, probiotics tiny bottle for the baby, bottles for the baby, a bottle of water for me, etc. And none of it is easy to knock over and it is convenient. Yay!

I also have repurposed my DR to a playroom, and the smallest bedroom in my house to the cat room this year. Such a big impact on our lives!

I have a very tiny walk though laundry hall from garage to the house and having litter boxes in there, and cat food in the living room and cat beds in the DR. was just a mess. Now it is all nicely containted in one room and the cats seem happy too.

My older DS (3.5) never wants to leave his playroom. The DR was basically a dumping ground for stuff, with the DR table being filled with things that needed to be put away, and we never used the room to eat in.

I cant' wait to see more great ideas. :)

o

Great idea Pommy!

o

(Please ignore the rolled up rug and pad in the corner ...)

This was an awful phony-colonial china cabinet with a sort of shaded walnut finish, an out-of-scale broken pediment, and really bad ornate gold metal pulls.

Took off the pediment, changed the pulls for fat nickel knobs, and painted everything.

Now it houses office supplies and things in my workroom/office.

Old China Cab

o

I am in love with that lamp aktillary. :)

such good ideas pommygirl and bronwynsmom.

Love the painted EC too.

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 12:34

o

This is an old pic, but our kitchen table base is from an old sewing machine.

Photobucket

Foyer has a church pew.
Photobucket

Old Table Talk Pie display shelf.
Photobucket

Antique sideboard, now vanity.
Photobucket

Another table w/ sewing machine base.
Photobucket

One more sewing machine base (coffee table!). This pic and the one above are from our beach cottage.
Photobucket

o

Sueb20, I love the idea of using a sideboard for a vanity cabinet.

o

When we arrived our house had had a bar in the pool table room. They took the bar and pool table and left the attached shelving unit that was used for bar ware. I took it down and used it as a TV stand for our family room. A few years later when we switched to flat screen DH brought it upstairs and added a shelf on top to hold a larger TV that would not fit in the entertainment center my dad made me while I was single. Today that bar shelf, is sprayed black and is in my DD's room for all her books. It didn't need much as far as additions. It was solid oak and stained in a way that already blended with what we have.

o

Love this thread! And that lamp....WOW. I love it, want it, and need it! :-D

We use this Jacobean sideboard as a TV console. I got this baby for $150. a few years ago. Excuse the lamp cord, haven't plugged it in yet.

Yes, that's my vulture on top of the TV, his name is Buzz, and he has real feathers. I had him up there for Halloween, and decided he should stay. I tried to find a little Santa hat for Christmas. He makes first time guests here laugh. :-D

This post was edited by Miz_M on Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 13:07

o

We found this hutch on CL a few months ago, perfect in the office for storage.

o

Miz M, I love the sideboard! I would love to do something like that, but we have a million components I need to fit in it and I'm having a hard time finding one on cl that I think would hold our stuff.

One re purposed thing that works well for us is I used an ikea billy bookcase for our microwave and cookbooks when we redid our kitchen.

Photobucket

o

I had ordered this pear tree with sugary pears in three colors. Well, it was delivered by UPS withe box upside down when there was clearly an arrow saying this end up. I called Home decorator's and they sent out a new one. Now what to do with the old one. So I ripped the old one apart and saved the pears, some of the "berries" and few leaves.

The pear tree:
Photobucket

Made this wreath using some of the pears, "berries," leaves and added small tangerines and pine cones.
Photobucket

More pears used here as well:
Photobucket

Lit up:
Photobucket

o

Thank you, Noellabelle! :-) We had to remove the second drawer (I saved it for future use), and I'm looking for a metal grille, similar to the ones in French Provencial china cabinets. Having a hard time finding one! The Playstation (for my BoyMan) is in one of the side cabinets, when we watch Netflix, DVD, or he plays his games, we just open the cabinet door.

o

We have a piece of furniture that we've never used for its' intended purpose....years ago, my father in law was into woodworking, and I asked him to make me a recycling cabinet, designed to hold garbage cans. I had found a picture in the JCPenney catalog of what I wanted. The lid is on hinges, and the doors open up, but when he built it, it was too nice to use it! He built it just going off the picture, and the measurements in the catalog, and all out of scrap lumber, too!

So now, it's our entertainment stand, and the dvd player is inside, instead of garbage cans.

o

Wow you are guys are genius!

Browny- I too used a sideboard as a bathroom cabinet.

o

Oh, I love to repurpose. Love the lamp and sideboards turned vanities. So pretty!

Here is a on my island for the dishtowel:

Here are two more repurposed wooden boxes for cooking utensils and the second one for napkins, salt/pepper at the breakfast room table.

Many of my lamps were made at a locally owned lighting store out of things they found, or I found and took to them. Two of my favorites are a lamp made from a wooden candlestick:

and another from a TV dog lamp (from the 50s):

I use a vintage wooden water bucket to hold dog toys. A vintage wooden rice bucket for the trash in powder room. I have a large wooden grape harvesting basket from Belgian I used as a side table in the great room. I'm not home, so I can't take pictures.

I almost forgot one of my favorite things (I have many! lol ). A wooden shutter I found and had repurposed into a door to conceal the TV equipments and DVD storage. Here is the before:

and the after:

o

Miz M, look at the grille options available from Van Dyke's Restorers. You could have something made with one of them that would suit your sideboard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wire Grilles from Van Dyke's

o

We have a playstation too (first for us, and now our kids!). We did have enormous black tower speakers flanking ours, but dh asked for much smaller ones and I was happy to oblige. : )

But I need something that fits the tivo box, ps, center speaker, cd player, receiver, a dvd/vhs player, and a blu ray...plus dh wants to find a vintage record player and make a slide out for it! I am debating if maybe I could get some sort of tower stand for components and have the tv on the sideboard, but our room isn't that large so swinging that might be iffy. But I will drool over yours!

o

Bronwynsmom, thank you so much! I've done numerous searches, but somehow missed this great link. I'm so excited! :-)

Noellabelle, I totally understand. My fiance installed speakers in the ceiling (I was biting my fingernails the whole time, paranoid at how they'd look, but they're very unobtrusive, whew!). :-D

o

Very nice lamp aktillery!

I love re-purposed things cause they are totally original. We've made a lot of things out of other things.

Two items in this pic - the chalkboard used to be the mirrored back to an antique sideboard which was damaged and needed more work than I wanted to give it so DH put MDF where the mirror was and painted it w/chalkboard paint. The headboard is made from old closet door shutters. I also have a corner shelf and a small cabinet made from shutters.

Photobucket

Recently posted this head/footboard bench on another thread. Still needs more work. I also have another one that's similar but painted.

Photobucket

Very old pic of my blacksmith GF's tool box, which is well over 100 years old. We've used it for a coffee table for 40 years, it's taken all the abuse 3 teens could dish out and looks better than ever. Occasionally gets some stain and wax. I guess the zinc washtub is also re-purposed. The man who sold it to me for $2 said it was a gold pan but it's too big and heavy for that I think. On research I found similar tubs called French washtubs so not sure of it's provenance but it makes a good container for things.

Photobucket

This is part of an old dilapidated wrought iron gate that DH found for free at a yard sale. He took it all apart, reconnected the 2 pieces and painted it. Black stovepipe in the background.

grill from old gate

I've posted this before many times but it's one of my fav things. I had bought an original oil painting for $2 with this frame but it was an awful yellow color and I had a better frame for the painting so DH made a box with shelves, attached this frame to the box, and painted the whole thing antique white. At various times it's had bone china teacups as here, a collection of small handmade pottery items, or my collection of glass fishing floats.

Photobucket

o

I turned an old tv cabinet into a kitchen cabinet

recycled cabinet

recycled cabinet

and a treadle sewing machine cabinet into a stereo cabinet/tv stand. Excuse the glare in the picture.

Photobucket

o

You are all very clever. The only thing I can think of is that I use a clay flower pot to help my packets of Equal. I also have an old smoking table for storage in my powder room. It fit perfectly between the loo and the wall.

o

Talk about thinking outside of the box! You guys blow me away with your innovative ideas. You know, one idea can lead to another......

o

This step-back kitchen cabinet between my way too small hall bath and hall linen closet is used to hold extra towels and rugs. In the past it was used to display china/store linens and once held electronics and a TV.

Photobucket

Now here's one for you creative people. I want to turn this old floor radio into a bar cab. Have to figure out how hinge the chassis on the left side to swing open to access shelves that will hold liquor. Have to make the insides, find the hinge and add a base to raise the chassis up to clear the floor when it opens. At least that's what I *think* I need to do. Oh, the only tools I own are a drill driver, a small jig saw, pliers, hammer, chisel. A challenge for sure, but ideas are welcome!

Photobucket

This post was edited by javachik on Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 20:55

o

Wow, you are an impressive lot, ladies! You're making me wish I had room for more furniture so I could steal some of these ideas.

o

Ha ha, most of my house is repurposed old junk (er, uh, I mean vintage treasures). :)

o

Allison, can you tell me about your wooden countertop in the first picture you posted? It's lovely - what is it?

o

My biggest 'transformation' was using a couple of vintage nightstands and making a window seat, not the built in type, but i've done that also. Removed the drawers and all the hardware, and since there were areas when the drawers were removed that left a small space, I trimmed those out with a small piece of molding. I cut a piece of plywood the width of the nightstands and the length of the window, and screwed the nightstands/plywood together. I painted everthing, and then covered it the plywood with foam/batting and had an instant window seat. It was great for holding books and magazines.

o

I used one of these years ago to make a canopy over my GDbed. I turned it upside down, glued on fabric(glue gun), braiding/fringe over area that was glued, and hung. She loved it, and will beep eating tha for GD #2 soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: These

o

Love this thread - you all are genius!

o

brownwynsmom, that's our kitchen island top. Antique pine that was purchased at a local lumber yard - they ordered X square feet for us:

o

Awesome thread these are impressive.

o

Took me a while to go through this entire thread. Some very ingenious ideas on here!

I have also made old furniture into vanities. Here are a couple. Sorry, my photos are terrible.
Photobucket

Photobucket

My latest re-purposing were with these silver punch cups (actually silver baby cups that my grandmother re-purposed into punch cups), silver demitasse spoons, and silver cordial cups. I made Italian tiramisu and served it in the punch cups for Christmas dinner and the cordials for a luncheon along with a peppermint pie.

I took a photo of the puch cups with spoons, but not the cordials.
DSC08157

o

There are some very creative ideas here! It's so much fun to see how things can be used in different ways.

The base of the island in my kitchen was made from two chests that I found several years ago at an antique shop. My husband got a friend to make the top for us.

Photobucket

This "wreath" that hangs in my kitchen is actually the rim from a cotton basket that my Grandfather used when he picked cotton in the early half of the 1900's. It's sort of in rough shape, but I love it.

Photobucket

o

I found some cute rooster coasters on clearance at Target and used them to make a horizontal backsplash behind our sink. It's time for a kitchen remodel, and I'll miss those roosters...so I will probably "repurpose" them again...as drink coasters!

o

I forgot one very important re-purposed item in my decor - my headboard. This was the pantry door from my 1926 house back in Wisconsin. It was in the basement for many, many years before I decided to use it in this way.

photo MasterBedroomBed.jpg

o

I've really enjoyed looking at the photos in this thread. Such awesome ideas and you folks are such talents for figuring these things out. Excellent!

o

Some really creative and artsy people here. Love all the ideas.
Amy T, I bet your MIL loves and appreciates you very much; she should. I have marvelous DILs as well.

o

One more. I use a vintage shoe shine box to hold spare TP in the bathroom.

photo shoeshinebox1_zps11b57fac.jpg

photo shoeshinebox2_zpse579ef37.jpg

o

When I was living in my condo back in CA, I purchased a new dryer, which was brought to my home in the box to be installed. While going thru the cardboard and breaking it down to recycle, I came across two very heavy, smooth cardboard pieces that were shaped similar to crown molding. For some reason, I just couldn't throw them away, so put them put in the garage 'in case I even needed them'.

Months later I decided I wanted to frame the large powder room mirror, and went out to the garage looking for anything I could possibly use, and saw the cardboard 'molding'. I painted it, and used velcro to stick it on, and no one ever guessed it was nothing more than cardboard.

I keep thinking I should go to my big box stores and go thru their dumpster to find enough to do a room!

o

I used a sideboard in my bathroom for extra storage.

o

This thread has so many really great ideas! I especially love the idea of repurposing sideboards, dressers or nightstands into bathroom vanities. I want to use that idea for my powder room.
So far in this house, I've had this chalkware santo of St. Roc made into a lamp for our family room. He's mounted on the base with museum putty so as not to ruin the statue itself. Love him!
Photobucket

At the famous La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe, the dining room is closed off from the lobby by multi-paned window walls, painted with primitive, fanciful Southwestern images. The effect is charming and much loved by us all. I took a very old window with a wood frame and painted similar images on it to use in my own Spanish kitchen. I have it propped above one of my kitchen cabs. I have a French pocket door between the kitchen and living room and am toying with the idea of painting it someday, as well.
Close-up of Hood

I use an antique ammunition's box on my living room hearth to hold firewood. It has rope handles.
Photobucket

This old oak washstand was originally made to hold a washbowl and pitcher in ones bedroom . . . or perhaps even a chamber pot. I use it in our foyer as a display stand for one of our statues:
Photobucket

We found these beautiful dressers/chests of drawers at an antique & consignment shop. Instead of putting them in our bedroom, we use them in our dining room. They hold placemats, napkin rings, tablecloths, candles, candleholders, etc. The low one acts as a sideboard when we have company for dinner. It has glass covering the top of it.
Photobucket
I've since lowered the Peruvian Madonna painting:
Mahogany Buffet
Lynn

o

I'm with ya Lynn, who says bedroom furniture *has* to go in a bedroom? I painted/stenciled a vintage style French dresser(no mirror)and use it in my DR as a buffet.

o

I'm with ya Lynn, who says bedroom furniture *has* to go in a bedroom? I painted/stenciled a vintage style French dresser(no mirror)and use it in my DR as a buffet.

o

We are mid project with our latest repurposed project. We found a formerly repurposed victrola cabinet. We are turning it into a little vintage bar.The top was missing, so DH cut and attached one. The front open shelf will be fitted with a wine rack to hold either 3 or 6 bottles whichever fits- that is in design mode. There is a door that closes over the bottom shelf.The door is currently in a vise on the workbench IDK why exactly.Inside will be room for decanters and liquor bottles.
there is a tiny drawer at bottom just adorable for drink stirrers and bar napkins.
I haven't decided what color to paint it.
I bought a smallish vintage crystal martini pitcher and vintage barware to accessorize the top.The fun is in the making. This will be in the shop next month.

o

At our last house, we needed a vanity so we repurposed this library card catalogue. Most of the drawers stayed intact, and a lot of them still had the actual cards inside! I left them in some of them, and the rest I used for my girls' hair ties, soap, toothpaste, etc. and relabeled the whole thing like a card catalogue. Fun piece!

o

Vintage stereo cabinet repurposed as bar. Sorry, can't seem to resize it so it's not blurry. It looks fine on my desktop.

o

This reminded me of the old Simon Bond book...

o

duplicate

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 7:45

o

I love that card catalog vanity! I worked in a library while I was in high school, I wish I could get my hands on that library's old card catalog cabinet!

Annie I love the wine cork backspash -- very clever, and great texture!

o

Annie, that is so cool! We certainly drink enough wine to make a BS. Is that the only place you used the wine corks. How big is it?

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 9:53

o

I'm not at the same level of creativity and talent as the rest of you but I keep buttons in an old, wooden cigar box.

Baby steps people, baby steps.

o

I'm blown away by the creativity and imagination I'm seeing from you all!

Repurposing here is pretty limited, like an old silverplated pitcher I'm planning to use to hold kitchen spoons. We do have a glass fronted cabinet that was probably originally used to hold books, and which holds glasses. I'd like to take credit for the idea, but it had aleady been repurposed when we bought it by having had glass shelves installed. The only other thing I can think of are a couple of old wooden apple crates that I use as additional filing cabinets. That's not working too well, so I'll probably use then in the laundry room to hold detergent bottles.

o

I never took a picture but we used a white marble wine bottle chiller to hold the toilet brush in the old apartment. The brush fit perfectly and it was heavy enough that it stayed in place when you pulled the brush out.

o

Hoky,

That is a great idea. Every time i see those, i always think --- i wish I could think of a good use. So far I only think spice cabinet...

o

Love seeing everyone's creative repurposing ideas.

I just remembered I had temporarily used an old chandy over my kitchen island, then decided it was a great place to hang utensils. I didn't use it for long as finally found a new light fixture. This chandy cost $5. and DH gave it a quick spray of black paint. It was very handy for utensils tho.

Photobucket

o

You guys are really great! I thought I was clever with my coffee table I made in my old living room. Just reunited the pieces again in this house as a place-holder for what I really want in the sitting room. But it is the top from my mom's old kitchen table sitting on the wrought iron holder from an old chiminea that I painted silver. Here it is in its current location.

photo DSC_0200-1_zps24602031.jpg

And if you are NOT watching the show on HGTV called Flea Market Flip, you need to do so. I love seeing how these people transform things into really cool stuff. Well, maybe I should say "usually" transform things into really cool stuff!

o

Love your coffee table BKW! Reminds me that 40 years ago when people were replacing their old hot water tanks in the development we lived in, DH collected 6 cast iron bases from the curb, had a welder join them in 2's, painted them black, and we had 1/2" thick glass cut for tops. We made a rectangular coffee table with 2 bases and a round end table with one. They were the perfect height for LR tables.

Imagine my surprise when a couple of years later I saw the identical table in a home decor magazine in an apartment in NYC! What are the chances of that!

This post was edited by luckygal on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 13:13

o

GSChick, we used it in the bar area and in the desk area in the kitchen where we use it as a bulletin board as well. I used 200 corks in the bar area and 300 in the desk area....Both are on the same wall...The corks were sawn in half...DH made me a jig to make it easier. Then I used a hot glue gun to stick them to the wall.

o

Lynxe,

I did that. I bought an old hotel silver one on ebay.

photo 7b52cf01.jpg

o

aktillery- Great thread, so much inspiration!

ljwrar-where did you find the green & white tile and matching pear green wall tiles in your bathroom?! I love the blue commode with the green tile. It looks so fresh and new! It makes my heart glad when someone steps outside the box and makes such a permanent statement. So many play it safe and end up with meh.

o

Pal, I love that idea, I'll be on the lookout for a marble wine chiller now. Great ideas.

My best repurposed item to date is using an old Kohler CI sink as a garden sink. I built a frame and it works wonderfully for rinsing garden produce before it comes to the house.

o

mntnrdredux, is that a LeCornue range?
If so, how do you like it?

I am battling the sin of envy this Sunday...
(Usually it's Sloth, which is my favorite of the seven...)

o

I've repurposed a few things, like an antique buffet that my DH uses as his credenza.

Below is one of my kitchen favorites. This is a vintage candy dish (divided) sitting on a silver holder. On the left is my hand soap, but on the right is a vintage sugar dish filled with water, 24/7.

Why water? Now you all who don't approve of cats on the counters, don't faint. lol It's because my Lizzie cat refuses to drink water out of a bowl and prefers the faucet. I got tired of that so I keep her own "bowl" of water next to the sink and that's where she goes to drink!

photo IMG_4585_zpsa232cd5c.jpg

o

A few examples of our repurposing.
There was no matching decorative tiles available for this guest bath. We made the 1/2 round "tiles" from broom handles.

photo IMG_0964_zpsfd40abbe.jpg

A child's pine nightstand was extended to become a vanity in a guest bath.

photo IMG_0970_zps42874c21.jpg

This vanity (below) is a repurposed dresser that was part of a bedroom set we bought as a temporary measure 18 years ago! The furniture has all been re-stained. The headboard is in one bedroom along with the armoire. The nightstands are in another bedroom along with this dresser in the bath. The tall chest of drawers was cut down and is now a nightstand in another bedroom and the cabinet containing the TV lift in the master bedroom.
 photo IMG_0966_zps7cbd6231.jpg

This is part of the tall chest of drawers, split in two to provide the cabinet for the TV lift in the master bedroom.
 photo IMG_0974_zps76fc094f.jpg

o

I just thought of something else, although not nearly as interesting as what many of you have done. We had a ceramic cookie jar with a hard to hold lid, and one day, I broke the lid. The cookie jar, like the silverplated pitcher, holds kitchen things, in this case, wooden spoons, spatulas, etc.

mtnr, that's a very pretty pitcher. More graceful than ours. And shinier, too. ;)

"I am battling the sin of envy this Sunday...
(Usually it's Sloth, which is my favorite of the seven...)" bronwynsmom, that's one of the funnier things I've read anywhere on this website.

o

prairegirlz,

The tile is original to this 1931 house. The PO replaced the original green toilet with a white one. I found this green one on Craigslist. It matches the original pedestal sink and tub. The original fixtures do not match the wall tile - very common in this neighborhood!

o

OMG, EG3d! You recycled cats as pillows! That's the cleverest use I've seen for them!

o

Every room in my house has repurposed stuff. One of my favorites is this table I did eleven or twelve years ago and it's still going strong. I started with two rusty used commercial table bases, did a faux brass paint job on the stem, and added an old small stainless steel refrigerator door for a top. On the bottom section I bought glass pieces from the plant and flower arranging section at Wal-Mart and a craft store, glued them on with liquid nails followed by grout.

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can even repurpose Tin foil! Crunch it into shapes, spray with primer and paint. When dry mount it onto a canvas.
Photobucket

o

Yes, besides repurposing the 1926 pantry door I found in the basement, I created a tiger stripe pillow and a leopard print pillow from old mini skirts. I even left the back zippers in them. LOL.
 photo MasterBedroom1.jpg

o

Everyone is so creative, talented and imaginative!

sis3...great job on those broom handles....love it!

Not sure this qualifies as repurposing, but certainly recycling...I helped GF remodel her kitchen and I got her old kitchen cabs which we used to make DH's workshop.

o
RE: Has Anyone Re purposed Items in their Home?

An old picture, but the 'art' in the frames is leftover fabric from when I recovered the valance box in my babies room.

o

I took an old metal aquarium stand made a wood base for the top & tiled it & voila instant sofa table.

o

I had a broken lampshade I just couldn't toss. And a hanging light that shined in your eyes when sitting at the breakfast table. So I took some ribbon and hung it over the fixture that is still hanging there. Someday I may replace it, Maybe.

Here is a link that might be useful: breakfast nook

o

No pix-broken camera, so I'll try to describe some of mine.

DH found a rustic gun cabinet for the family room. He didn't store guns in it, so I added some plexiglass shelves to the inside and we use it as a curio for his western themed things.

When we redid the main bathroom, the vanity had an optional shelf, but I couldn't use it due to the plumbing. Instead, I cut it down to 8" depth. I found two candle sconces that I painted brushed nickle and used them as shelf brackets, and added the vanity board to it. Now it holds candlesticks and a basket with DH's contact lens stuff. Matches perfectly with the vanity!

I wanted a little garden gate, but couldn't find one suitable, so I turned a fireplace screen into the gate. Framed out the gate with 2x4's to fit the size of the screen, then screwed the screen into that frame and hung it on a trellis to enter into my garden.

Use a stack of old suitcases as storage & an end table in family room.

Put an old mirror in my unused living room fireplace, then placed candles inside. The candlelight reflects back from the mirror when they're lit. It's gorgeous. Also use a long, unframed rectangular mirror as a runner on my antique buffet that displays my fleur de lis collection.

Turned an antique 5 drawer dresser into my jewelry armoire, by adding ice cube trays for earrings, silverware dividers for necklaces and little boxes from IKEA for bracelets, etc. In the bottom drawer I have my heirloom keepsakes & holiday themed things.

I know there are a ton of other things, but my cold-addled brain is still too foggy to recall. Love the brilliant items shown here by all you wonderfully creative people!

o

When we had the new kitchen cabs put in, I needed someplace to store my kitchen towel. I wanted a place where it could dry quickly, be handy to grab when needed and not hanging damp against my cabinet doors. I decided to use this clean plant pot. It's low slung, sturdy so that it won't tip, is made to get damp and looks good in my rustic Spanish kitchen. I keep it on the counter next to my sink. Works great for me.
Dish towel holder

o

I've used coffee tables to make vanity benches(or just a pretty bench)for a bedroom or bathroom~I sell them in my space at the antique mall. You have to make sure the table is not at risk for collapsing when being sat on, so give it a 'test' before you make a purchase.

My latest has been a round table. I found a pillow that was actually shaped like a large flower(Garden Ridge)and covered it in a leopard print fabric, and used feathers, braiding, and fringe to embellish. Since the legs were showing, I decided to paint them white and then use a dark brown glaze which gave an antique look. It's perfect for a little girls room!

o

Certainly not the really ingenious projects as most posted here but IRuehl's offering made me think of the wallpaper scrap I saved from my daughter's bedroom when she was young-30 years ago. I found a mirror frame, stuck the wallpaper to the cardboard, had lettering made, and hung it over my grand-baby's crib. I noted on the back that it was "mommy's wallpaper when she was a little girl".

Lily's Pad photo DSCF2547.jpg

o

Some really great ideas, some that I will certainly "borrow"!
Thanks for the compliment Annie!

o

Thanks for info ljwrar! I didn't realize that the toilet was green, still dig it.

No pic, but like old library card catalogs re-used as buffets.

o

I was in our game room yesterday and noticed the art on my walls...and thought of this thread. I have purchased old games at garages sales--ones we played with our children and used them as art. With a glue gun I set the boards as if they were in the middle of a game and then nailed them to the walls. I LOVE them!! I love the way they fit the rooms purpose, the memories they invoke and the graphic color they bring to the space.

o

All of your repurposed items are brilliant and I can't wait to put some of your ideas to use in my own home.
Thank you all for sharing.

mustangs, The wall is still empty over my great-nephew's crib.
What a beautiful art piece with so much sentiment.
I just forwarded the link to this post to my niece so that she could see your creation.

PO's built a tiny bathroom out of the existing tiny closet in the master bedroom.
When the shower base leaked and we found water had wicked up the closet walls, we knew we were going to go ahead and do a complete re-do of the master bathroom.
Finding a vanity that was small enough, but still had storage was an exercise in frustration.

I finally put to good use the small microwave cart we had used as a temp. fix until we got the cabs in the previous year.

Turned the microwave cart upside down, turned the drawer upside down, removed the plastic casters and added legs and now, it's the perfect fitting vanity, high enough for my husband, for our tiny bathroom.

Apologies....it's been a couple years since I've been here and I'm afraid I've forgotten how to post a picture.

o

And another one. These spice rack "doors" were originally used to sell cookies or crackers. The frames fit on top of boxes of cookies. Shoppers would open the door to reach into the box. I built a wooden rack and attached the frames to it. The space available for knobs was very small, so I used dollhouse doorknobs.
Lisa

spice rack 1 photo IMG_0535_zps37d6d598.jpg

spice rack clos-up photo IMG_0536_zps3375795b.jpg

o

Here is the finished victrola cabinet turned into a little bar. Looks a lot different than the earlier photo I posted.
Lot of great ideas on this thread.

o

My grandmother's organ--her father had it shipped to her while on a business trip to New York in 1918 when she was twelve years old. During my childhood it was stored in an old barn, with a tarp over it, and rats chewed the keyboard.
Not long before her death twenty years ago, she asked if I would take it and do something with it.

It was cost prohibitive to make it a working organ again, so I had granite installed in place of the keyboard. The restorer did some research from the gold markings and determined it was made in Chicago in 1848. The organ has moved with us to four homes since then, serving either in a dining room or foyer.

In this home the organ resides across from the powder room, usually with a silver or crystal dish of mints or chocolates on it.

The print and frame was also from her house--a friend "painted over it" with oil paints, although it is behind glass.

Photobucket

o

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My son had this base from a lighted table that got destroyed. I turned a copper vase upside down, pounded holes in it and husband reassembled.

o

I needed a place to store keys by the front door, but with some special features. My solution was a tissue holder. Dropping the keys through the hole is as easy as placing them on the table, but they remain out of sight. Retrieval is by opening the hinged lid.

photo Keyscl_zps5482b1d1.jpg
 photo Keysop_zps1c9fb632.jpg

My planter was purchased from a shop that sold fountains. They broke the upper part where the water cascaded, and were selling the slate water basin portion at the crazily discounted price of $12.50. It was a clearance/overstock store, and their price for this fountain in complete condition was more than $500.
It is quite heavy, and as they were helping me load it into my car, the store owner asked what I was going to do with it. When I explained that it would make a beautiful, waterproof planter for my house, I could see he was thinking "Why didn't I think of that?" The store sold live plants, too. lol

photo Planter_zps745c4901.jpg

o

Here are few more of mine. These are from DD's room back when she was in middle school. She wanted a makeover from her grade school decor and requested her version of a French bedroom.

I found an inexpensive window frame mirror on sale at HL. I threw away the mirror, bought a cheery poster for it, added glass and this poster cut to fit it. It achieved my goal for a window looking out onto some port scene in the south of France ( it's actually a scene from California) . But it still needed something more IMO. So, I took a pair of old shutters and painted them purple to work with the new room colors. Repainted an old shelf also and hung the whole grouping together on her wall. DD loved it and I got the look I was going for, for only about $35.
Photobucket

I'd wanted to have a window seat built in her room and have it flanked by bookshelves. We used 2 stock upper kitchen cabs , because I wanted the easy access of doors into the storage areas rather than a window seat with the tops that lift up for access. We bolted them together and had a solid surface countertop made for it. I made the seat cushions for the top of it, making them extra thick to use as an extra bed for sleepovers. We also used stock cabs to build her a dresser/hutch combination on one side of the new window seat and a bookcase on the other side of it.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Just an FYI, instead of a regular end table to hold a cup of tea and her book, etc. while sitting on her window seat, I used an small, old wrought iron cafe table and chair, like you might find outside at a Paris cafe. I have no recollection as to why the chair but not the table is in this pic, because it's been there ever since (LOL)!
Lynn

o

Wow! Love this thread and the creativity! No pics, but I repurposed an old wood deep medicine cabinet which I painted white years ago, into a sort-of spice-combination-supplement cabinet placed in the corner on my kitchen counter...keep in it things I want to be close by such as salt, pepper mill, vitamins, stevia, cinnamon, small oil bottle, etc. Regular spices are kept in a kitchen drawer.
2nd repurposing project still in progress: found an old marble fireplace surround top, and am having it built-in to my bathroom as a shelf over the console sink. It has a beautiful curved shape with ogee edge.

o

One more from my kitchen. The cabinet above this counter was once a built in ironing board. We cut down the door and added shelves for oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. There is an electrical outlet for the iron above big boy's head.

freezer and counter photo IMG_0546_zps5bfc067a.jpg

o

@lynninnewmexico:
Love your window seat and especially the custom bookshelf next to it. Can you explain in more detail how you made it? Is the bottom a base cabinet and the top a wall cabinet without doors? It looks way less deep than the window seat, or di dyou pull that forward?

o

Not as creative as most of the other suggestions, bu there are mine:
pillow cases made from too small Lilly Pulitzer skirts (no sewing involved):
 photo 0315131502a_zpsd52fc304.jpg

and from old sweaters; just cut and sew.
 photo 0315131504_zps59371910.jpg

o

Not mine, but interesting what can be done with a flea market mannequin, a lampshade and a roll of tape

o

I also love all the ideas and creativity in this thread! All those different vanities are stunning! I haven't gotten much farther than hanging an old window on the wall and making a spool table.

Too much watching Antiques Roadshow ("this Tiffany vase used to be worth $60,000 until someone drilled a hole in it and made it a lamp, now it's $10") makes me a bit nervous but honestly I just don't have anything too nice to be repurposed!

o

Like Annie Deighnaugh and husband, above, I did something very similar with our old kitchen cabinets. We have one bank of them on the basement floor beside our laundry machines, and one out in an outdoor shed near where I keep my tablesaw. The latter is a true 'shop function'. Your cabinets look nicer, I'd have had to refinish ours to make them anywhere near as pretty.

Here's another repurposing at out place. (It's not quite "home decor" - but my wife does love it.) I converted a small barn on our land into a sculpture studio for my wife, a professional artist. She has to use hand-held, water-cooled power tools sometimes, when shaping glass and bronze.

I made this water containment cabinet from a cut-down fiberglass shower stall, set on a frame I built. The bottom 60% of the stall remains. She can sit on a chair and use her tools and not splash water all over the place!

o

I'm sure some of you have seen this one before, but we never threw out a cork, so I finally found a use for them...split them in half and made a back splash out of them for behind our bar area and the desk area in our kitchen where it's used as a bulletin board too.

o

Annie, what kind of glue did you use for your project ?

I saw your picture up thread, it made me realize this thread was a year old but so deserving to be revived,
I missed it the first time around.

o

Hah! The thread was so old, I'd forgotten I'd already posted it! My bad...

Anyway, I just used a glue gun and stuck them directly to the dry wall. I figured if I tiled the wall, it would ruin the drywall anyway, so why not?

o

Can we start another thread on this? I keep coming back to it and glad people are bumping it up regardless of when it was started.

o

Mine are mostly small things -- like using a glass compote to hold cotton balls in the bathroom -- or a cut glass tumbler to hold q-tips. A hinged CD holder (similar to the tissue box above but a double version) used as a spot to store extra TP.

I have a dresser that is a TV stand for our exercise room and the drawers have my gift wrap rolls and ribbons. A home office armoire that was going to be my craft and gift wrap station became a china cabinet when my dad moved and I suddenly acquired another set of china and crystal and I wasn't ready to make decisions on getting rid of anything.

I have an old radio cabinet that I cleaned up and planned to put a new shelf and door in the top, but the stained glass panel hasn't been made. I'm thinking about painting it and redirecting it's new life for another room now. Another one I haven't done buy we've talked about a couple of times is to put a pull out bed in a window seat to add a guest bed in our gameroom. I think the inflating mattresses are going to keep that one from happening -- take less room and are probably cheaper and more comfortable now that we no longer have a sofa with the pullout mechanism to repurpose.

If a new thread is started, we should try to link this one at the top so these ideas and photos aren't lost -- st least as long as we can.

o

I hung an old "warming closet" over my stove to store pots and pans.

o

I made this island baking center out of a 1970s entertainment stand, just added wood shelf brackets and 2 foot x 4 foot laminated pine top and little shelves on sides from garage sales.

o

I made this island baking center out of a 1970s entertainment stand, just added wood shelf brackets and 2 foot x 4 foot laminated pine top and little shelves on sides from garage sales.

o

I had a large round tufted ottoman I purchased for $49. I have a space at an antique mall, and not everything is antique or vintage, so decided to re-do the ottoman, and sell it. I do a lot of painted 'French' blue furniture, and wanted the ottoman to have the same feel. Using a blue fabric, I placed it over the ottoman and cut(in a circle)to fit the top and about 3" down the side, and secured in place using a glue gun. My big 'tah dahhhh' was a lace skirt I used over the blue fabric, giving a cute feminine look~also glued around cushion top/bottom edge, cutting off a coupe of inches of the skirt. I gathered up what would be the waist of the skirt, and first secured with a rubber band, pulling tightly, than wrapped a ribbon and tied tightly. With the elastic cut from the waist, it created a Pom Pom effect. Adding fringe around the cushion top and bottom edge was the finishing touch. I sold the new 'tuffet' for $140!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here