Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justretired_gw

Can you educate me on Kilim rugs?

justretired
9 years ago

Hi. I admit I am not at all knowledgeable about rugs. We just purchased a park model home in Arizona and it is a blank slate. I wish to decorate in a Southwest style and am drawn to Kilim rugs due to the Tribal design (and reasonable price). Pottery Barn has some nice ones on sale right now.

The park model has laminate floors and I am planning to purchase a rug for the living room area. As I look at photos of the Kilims they are often shown on top of a sisal or seagrass rug. Is this because they are not appropriate in an area where there will be a lot of foot traffic? Are they light weight and will wrinkle or move? It is hard to tell from the pictures so I am looking for experienced "Kilimers" to help me with my decision.

Thanks so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Kilim rug

This post was edited by justretired on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 15:08

Comments (17)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I have several kilims on hardwood floors and I use thin pads to keep them from sliding and to reduce wear. They have been just fine for years.

I looked at your link and I noticed two things: 1) they suggest use of a rug pad, and 2) the kilims are made of recycled plastic (PET); I have no idea what the performance or wear characteristics are of this type of product.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Wow! The linked PB run can be rinsed off!

I have a wool kilim. It was in my kitchen forever. Now it is in DD's breakfast room. It has worn very well. Like all rugs, it needs a pad under it.

Kilim rugs are flat and pileless. I'm don't mean to imply that that is a bad thing. I've just noticed that sometimes people don't understand that. Also, they traditionally have small "slits" where the color changes. The slits are tiny and the rug is so tightly woven, that it is not noticeable unless you look for them.

If you prefer the more geometric patterns, you might also consider a Kazak rug.

• amck2
    9 years ago

The material and care instructions make me think that the PB one might be similar to the Dash & Albert rugs I've used in my kitchens. DD has a large one under her dining table. They are great in high traffic areas and are easy to keep clean.

I don't know if I'd choose it for the LR, though, unless your style is very casual. While practical and attractive, the feel of that fabric isn't luxurious underfoot.

• justretired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I do plan to use a pad, no matter what rug I ultimately chose.

Kudzu: I wonder about the recycled plastic also. I admire the thought behind it but do not want to spend $500+ and be unhappy in a year. Glad to hear from someone who has the rugs in their home that it might be a good alternative.

bbstx: From the pictures it did look flat. I am not sure it would be a deal breaker but would be different from what I am used to that is for sure. On the other hand we will have in in our park model in Arizona so I do not really need thick and cushy as I do in Minnesota! What do you mean the "linked PB run can be rinsed off?"

amck: Knowing that they wear in high traffic areas is important to me, thank you for your reply. We will live casually in Az. but I still need to decided if that is the feel I want under my feet. Food for thoughtâ¦.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

âÂÂrun" is a typo. Should be "rug". My comment was a reaction to the notation by PB that it rinses off. My wool Kilim has to be professional cleaned. Being able to hose it down sounds great!

Every time I write "Kilim", iPad wants to autocorrct to "Kilimanjaro"!

• justretired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Of course, bbstx. I was not thinking! Yes, auto correct comes up with some interesting edits:)

Also, thank you for your suggestion to look into a Kazak rug. I will research.

They can probably be rinsed off because they are made out of plastic!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Yes, bbstx, it is a flat weave rug, rather than knotted with tufts for a pile rug.

The weave is often called a 'slit weave' or 'tapestry weave'. The slits occure where ever there is a vertical (to the loom) line or color change in the design. The designs will tend to favor horizontal (weft) color changes for this reason.

I had some wool kilim runners in the halls of my old place. They were small enough for a large washing machine and came out beautiful with Woolite in cold water, hung to dry. I recommend a carpet mat.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 0:09

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

The pattern may be killim, but the materials are not. A good kilim rug I made of wool.

I love them and every room in the house has one, largest is 10 X 11. Have never had them cleaned. I hang them across step ladders and wash off with hose after vaccuming (when needed). They have never shrank or changed colors. I've bought a few from Overstock at great prices I and never been disappointed. The country of origin didn't make a difference either. Mine has lasted a good 15 years and are easy to remove spills.

My go to for rug pads are the solid outdoor rugs with backing. They hold true and you don't have dirt getting through the killim to mar floors or spills. Much less expensive than rug pads.

Lilylore: Have washed in washer too and never an issue. Roll them up while still damp to keep folds out, then let dry opened up.

Did I mention loving my killims?

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

I love my kilims but mine are the PB pillows, not the rugs they have some texture to them which makes dog hair stick. Despite the arduous cleaning they are my very favorite.

I also have a couple of old Indian trading blankets/rugs these have less texture so less clinging.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Interesting that some of you wash your wool kilims. Mine had water spilled on it in the kitchen and the colors bled just a bit which, I'm told, is not unusual for vegetable dyes.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

OP, I just got an email that PB is having a sale. Use code SAVEMORE. It starts at 10% off $100 or more and goes to 25% off $1000 or more.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Kilim rugs are one of the environment friendly options to decorate interiors with. They are generally made from sisal grass which are elegant looking. You can use latex pads to prevent them from slipping.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

How interesting. I've never seen a kilim made of sisal.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"The pattern may be killim, but the materials are not. A good kilim rug I made of wool."

Pottery Barn says their rug is kilim "inspired" ... I take that to mean they are not claiming it is an actual kilim rug, just their take on one.

• User
    9 years ago

I bought one of the PB indoor-outdoor kilims when I started my kitchen renovation. I returned it because the colors weren't totally true to what I'd seen on the screen, and I didn't love it in the space. And it would take some time/effort to get it to lay flat; they're shipped rolled up and if I'd kept it, I would have put a few books or hand weights on each corner for a couple of days, and I'm sure it would have been fine.

But even though I returned it, I thought it was a great deal, and a great fake. I have a bigger kilim in my breakfast room that I bought in Tehran about 15 years ago. The PB indoor-outdoor version didn't look ridiculous next to it. I love the idea of being able to hose it off; my Iranian kilim gets spilled on tons by 2 kids and it looks fine but gets cleaned regularly by professionals.

If for some reason you'd prefer a "real" kilim (real being in the eye of the beholder, since unless you know a really trustworthy carpet dealer, you're probably not getting the full story anyway) Ebay has tons of Turkish and Iranian/Persian kilims.

• justretired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I feel like I can continue my search for a kilim rug without worrying if it is appropriate for my situation.

Bbstx: I appreciate the coupon code and still have a few hours. I may order the one I have had my eye on. Can always return it if the colors are not what I was hoping.

I knew when I posted the question that I would get great advice. Thank you all so much!