Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junglegal_gw

My fireplace makeover

junglegal
9 years ago

I just bought this place a few months back. It wasn't in the budget to have this fireplace refaced so I attempted painting it. I'm pretty happy with the results. It gives the room a breath of freshness & really opens it up.

Comments (20)

• junglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wasn't a fan of the red brick.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Great job! And I love the painting on the mantle and the orange chair.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nicely done!

• User
    9 years ago

It does look better with your furniture.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Nice!

• junglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This fireplace was installled as an afterthought in the seventies & they did not do a very good job on the masonary or placement.
    Being in FL, I wish it wasn't there at all. It would be a good wall for a sofa!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Great job. I thought it was the original color when I saw it and thought I would not paint it! Love the artwork over your fireplace. Great shapes and colors.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

That looks lovely! Would you mind sharing how you did it? Did you tape the grout or paint the bricks individually? Did you have to use a primer? How many coats did it take? I have an even uglier one that is a whole wall with black grout. Painting the brick has been on my to do list forever..TIA!

• junglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Google fireplace makeover @ Lowes. I used their recommended valspar satin paint colors. One base coat then used an ocello sponge cut to size of the bricks in the darker color. It was super easy.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

Here's a link to the instructions:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace makeover

• junglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Walls are BM revere pewter, chair from joybird & canvas pic from Dot & Bo. This is all a work in progress so if you have suggestions on lighting & accessories, please share.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Much better! I think you could take it a step further and do the mortar and bricks in the wall color, to make it blend into the room even further :)

• sloedjinn
    9 years ago

You've got a a Broyhill Brasilia bar! Call me green with envy.

Also, the paint job improves the fireplace greatly. Such a sloppy job with the mortar and the new paint seems to hide it well.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I noticed that too SloeGinFizz. Took my attention off the fp and onto the other MCM finds!

I would love to see a long shot of the room to get more of the feel of the painted fp please.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

The fireplace looks so much nicer than before. It was a bit of an eyesore and now your cool furniture draws your attention and not the poor brick job of the fireplace. Nice choices.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Wow! Looks awesome.

I hope Anele see this - I remember she has a brick fireplace she does not like :).

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I t sure does! Nicely done!

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

I love how it's still a focal point but now your eye isn't "stuck" on it. Bonus points for the art on the mantle that goes so well with your coral (on my monitor anyway) chair, that I love too!

• Susan Rawlings
    8 years ago

The color of the fireplace really looks great with the color of the room.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Having helped a friend paint her fireplace, I know that was a lot of work. Good job. You could have cushions made for the hearth so you could sit on either side of the opening. I've seen those before. Could be removed in the rare instance you might want a fire.