Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Shopping for Ornaments

oldbat2be
10 years ago

I'm taking down the tree and putting away the decorations (yeah!) and for once am thinking ahead to next year. It's time for new ornaments and lights and I'm assuming - please correct me if I'm wrong - that now is the best time to do so.

I really liked the color combinations desert_solitaire (green and white and silver) and thefoxespad (orange and green) put together, on oakleyok's '2013 Christmas Tree/Decoration Pictures' thread (combined in below picture), so I'll be looking for light green, orange and silver in particular.

Where and when do you shop for ornaments? If now's a good time, I'd love to prepare for next year.

Second - what kind of lights do you use? I *think* I switched to LEDs a few years ago and that may be the problem, but I find the tree is far too bright. I'd like it to glow versus light the whole downstairs.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Comments (24)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I'm afraid I have to purchase new lights too. One strand didn't light this morning and it's time to make the switch. We have 2 trees - the artificial one gets white lights and the live tree colored. So now I'm searching. Tomorrow I'll visit my local hardware store and hope they still have their display with the lights lit - that will make it easier to pick the ones I like.

I ordered 10 ornaments from Pottery Barn at half price and free shipping 2 weeks ago so I don't need anything for the tree. But I would like to find a new garland for the fireplace. Frontgate has some really pretty ones.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 12:13

• teacats
    10 years ago

Try Amazon! Might be some ornaments AND lights there!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Last year, right after Christmas, I made the rounds and purchased ornaments from department stores and small owner décor shops around town. I found several at half price of more. I even had a man try to buy back from me, glass ornaments at full price, that I had just bought for 70% off. He was also making the rounds. Glad that I didn't take him up on the offer, as the brown glass ornaments are my favorite. ;)

• nhb22
    10 years ago

oldbat2b - Saw these (see link) on Pottery Barn.. Good price and for a good cause and free shipping!

If you want to make a bunch at a reasonable cost, try finding the glass ornament balls. I purchased mine at Michael's. Bought a vial of silver glitter and went to work. I also made red and bright blue balls.

The glitter is on the inside of glass, so no mess. You cannot tell in these photos, but the balls look more like Mercury Glass (depending on how much glitter you use. In the light, you can see through the balls.

I tied silver satin ribbons to the glass ball finials. They looked nice hanging on the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn ornaments

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I don't do it much any more but I used to love stalking the post-holiday bargains. I've linked below to a general markdown schedule for Target. Depending on how busy your local area Target has been, there are some AMAZING deals, especially once prices drop to the 90% discount level on their holiday sales.

My biggest and best post-holiday scores were both from Target. One year when I happened to be in the store the day the markdown hit 90% there was a huge glut of lights still in stock. I got 100-string sets on sale for .20 each. Ended up buying several cases worth and for the next decade+ I was set! If there was a light missing on the string at the end of the season dismantling, out they went (to be recycled by my green hubby).

And then there was the year I happened to be there when the stock guys brought out cases of the holiday themed candy that is my husband's favorite-M&Ms. Those were .35 for a large size bag. At the time he used to bring M&Ms in for the office candy dish so again, I hauled off several cases.

Ah bargain hunting...I do miss it but keep telling myself the best bargain is to have spent -zero- since I really don't need a thing :). But if you do, check out Target!

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Target's Post Holiday Markdown Schedule

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Maybe it's just the stores where I live, but if you are looking to redo your tree (or outdoor lights or any larger project), you'd better not wait longer than the weekend after Thanksgiving, and even then might mean going to several stores. When we needed to replace our outdoor lights a few years ago, I made sure to buy them before Thanksgiving because I knew I hadn't been able to find any after Thanksgiving the year before. If you just want to look and see if you find a trinket here or there or if you aren't particular what kind of mix you wind up with, I still wouldn't bank on it. Wrapping paper and stick on bows seem to be around past Christmas, but not a lot of decorations.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The shelves here are like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard, bare as can be. Like Lascatx said if you haven't purchased early you might as well wait for next year and pay full price early.

If my weekend isn't too hectic I may go to our local gift shop that has beautiful décor items and Christmas decorations and see if they have anything left. The ornaments that I coveted before Christmas were ridiculously priced. Over $20 for one so they will probably have many left.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

I found the same thing. Also, I checked out the Target website. Everything was still half off, not 90%, yesterday. Only one Christmas tree was on sale and it had a 1 star rating. I guess only the stores have the markdowns. :(

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Over the last few years I've bought 2 trees worth of ornaments online thru Nordstrom, Macy's, Horchow, and pottery barn the week after Christmas. The ornaments were usually 50-80% off! Great time to shope for ornaments.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Yesterday I stopped at my local nursery which features a huge Christmas decor shop from November 1 until the end of January. I picked up 4 strands of white lights and 5 of colored ones for 60% off - and they're incandescent! Not LED - hurrah. I'm sure I could have found them cheaper elsewhere but I'm not interested in running here and there hoping to find what I want.

They did have some lovely ornaments, artificial trees and garland but I managed to walk out with just the lights. I know an artificial tree is in my future but just not yet.

Tomorrow I have to return a sweater to Lord & Taylor so I might wander around the mall and see what's leftover.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Newhomebuilder, can I ask how the glitter sticks to the inside of the glass ornament? Or is each one filled with glitter?

Thank you! Those are lovely. (So is the little guy!)

• pdg777
    10 years ago

Michaels discounts to 70% before Christmas, I think they week before. They are at 50% at Thanksgiving. I agree that most shelves are empty after Christmas,but you can still find some steals. Sears, JCP, Lord & Taylor have some left, as well as Pier One and Bed Bath and Beyond. If you want large quantities of the same type of ornamnet, best to catch Michael's Thanksgiving sale at 50%.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Your topic gave me something to do while watching the Cotton Bowl. lol.

I just purchased decorations and ornaments from Macy's and JCP. The savings was tremendous. S&H is always kind of high, but I would pay that in gas going to the stores.

All of the Macy's ornaments I've bought on sale over the years are by far my favorites.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

peony4 - You use very little to moderate glitter, depending on the look you want. The secret ingredient to hold the glitter in place is liquid floor wax!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I so appreciated getting all the store locations! I've done a little shopping but will make a note to remember to start again next Thanksgiving.

newhomebuilder - that little honey is gorgeous :) Your bulbs are pretty too, I like the ribbons.

maire_cate - glad you found the lights... so far, I've only looked for ornaments. I think I need to research lights more before purchasing any. I found an ornament II liked at Lord&Taylor, so have ordered ten, thanks for the idea.

runninginplace - what great scores! I checked online and haven't found much; was in Target yesterday (buying a dutch oven which I've realized since, I have already) and noticed that they were starting to dismantle the holiday section but that there appeared to be some serious markdowns.

iheartgiantsnauzer - thanks for the recommendations.

teacats, pdg77 - thanks for the ideas, I'll make a note to remember Michaels. I went and browsed through all.

lascatx, hollykay - I think you're right that shopping right after Christmas is the key.

Oakley - glad to hear!

Here's what I found. Loved the Frontgate ornaments shown (out of stock unfortunately). Lord & Taylor had the kissing ball ornaments which I thought were pretty, so I ordered 10. I've received the Tiffany/Waterford/Swarovski ornaments as gifts but have been too cheap to buy myself. I thought the prices were decent so bought one of each.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 8:10

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

West Elm has a clearance sale on ornaments, including dogs, foxes, butterflies, birds, owls

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm ornaments

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I stocked up on the West Elm ornanments this year when they marked them down so can vouch for the fact that they are very cute!

• peony4
    10 years ago

Thank you, Newhomebuilder, for the floor wax tip!

Oldbat2be, thanks, too, for posting these pics, as well. Like you, I wouldn't spend the $ on the Swarovski or Waterford ornaments, but my DH takes great delight in giving me a special ornament each year for one of our dedicated trees. I'll save this as a *hint* for next year. ;-)

I can't believe I'm still interested in ornaments--I've never been an after-Christmas shopper. But I think the snowy weather and my still-thriving poinsettias are keeping the spirit lingering longer than usual.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Probably too late now, but just before Christmas I stocked up on Waterford ornaments at HG for 5.99 each.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Gumps! We recently moved from San Francisco and each Dec. 26th we would head to Gumps for their after Christmas ornament sale. Their ornaments are gorgeous. Still somewhat pricey on sale (b/w $10-30), but so pretty. We would pick up a few to add to our tree. This year I had to order online but so glad I did.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Most of my ornaments are vintage. I collect shiny brights and also tinsel and glitter ornaments (I think that is what they are called!). I find most on ebay, etsy or at antique shops. I shop throughout the year. We also like ornaments with meaning - such as when we travel, a special occasion, etc. I go for that vs. theme.

Edited to add: Oops! I should have said I also have quite a few handmade ornaments. Miss Mustard Seed turned me on to the german glass glitter and I bought several ornaments made with the glitter. Stars, etc. The silver glass glitter actually tarnishes (somewhat) to a beautiful patina.

tina

This post was edited by tinam61 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 15:28

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I received my Christmas decor yesterday and I want to put the tree back up! It looks like I spent a lot of money but the whole thing was under $50. Including the cutest nutcracker ever.

I might have to check and see if I can find more ornaments. Nothing like a good sale!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I was at Lowe's today and they had one rolling rack of Xmas clearance stuff, including storage containers. They had very pretty, gold skeleton leaf ornaments with a tiny acorn on a ribbon. I think they were only $1.22 each. I was very tempted but since I'm not much of a seasonal decorator I put them down. I hope one of you will go buy them.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, kellienoelle - just ordered some of the West Elm ornaments! Thanks, they look really cute :) With free shipping and priced at .99 and 1.99 - couldn't resist.

Love the idea of attaching these to presents next year. AHA - this is how those who plan, feel!

I received the Gluckensteinhome kissing ball ornaments today and love them. Am considering ordering 10 more.
    peony4's DH - HINT HINT (these are great!!)

mamorella - I love Gumps - that's exactly the kind of suggestion for which I was hoping. I just ordered 3 sets of the bottle brush animals. One for me and one for each of my brothers next year. Thanks!

tinam61 - more info please and pictures if you can. They sound lovely!

oakleyok - I love this too. I don't have a lot of ornaments given to me by family but do treasure the ones I have. Adding ones to which my 'gw friends' have steered me, will very much add to the fun of trimming the tree.

hhireno - thanks, will make it a point to swing by this week and look into what my local HD and Lowes have still in stock.

Thanks so much everyone and do please keep posting:)