Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbmcdavit

Please help me decorate my dining room

AboutToGetDusty
10 years ago

So I'm loving my new kitchen (thanks to Gardenweb!) and it's time for some TLC in my dining room, which is now open to the kitchen (post construction). For practicality, I want my dining room to look great but the table will be used all the time (we don't have an eat in kitchen). I would like something that is distressed or slightly distressed, about 74" long but that expands, and 40-42" wide. I have a new PB rug and a new PB mason jar chandelier. I may keep the black chairs, but definitely want a new table and bench. Ideas on how to pull it all together? I feel like I have the decorating equivalent of writer's block!

Comments (17)

• AboutToGetDusty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture that shows part of the kitchen, my new stools, new rug, and old table and chairs. I like the pretty gray-washed super distressed trestle tables, but I need a table that feels nice, not rough to the touch. And I'm worried I like the trestle because it's trendy. I've always like farm tables...but will a pine farm table look too cutesy-cute in this space?

• AboutToGetDusty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a view of the dining room with my new chandelier and the oval table that I want to get rid of. I plan on taking down that painting and put up an antique window (6 pane) that was turned into a mirror.

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Love your spaces! I love the idea of a trestle table and the six pane window. I actually have both and love them. The trestle table is really not trendy and in my opinion would look great in your space under your new chandelier, which I love by the way.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Here's one that I really like and it would look great with what you have plus take any wear and tear well. I like this as it has a slight contemporary edge to it as do your counter stools. My sister bought this one and paid over 1500.00 and she has 12 grands that are active, the table works well.

Here is a link that might be useful: trestle table

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

DH is making a table like this for our new lake house. I like that it melds a bit of industrial with a traditional look.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Dee, how does your DH make this table?

• AboutToGetDusty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Love both examples...my concern, and this is something I may just have to toss a coin about...I can't find a table that has the distressed look but is not rough to the touch that is 40-42" wide (yayagal, that table is only 38" and too long as well - bummer. That's a great price!), and about 74" long (76" would be the max, but I could go with 72"), and that expands with leaves. Tall order with any style, so I'm thinking custom, which is more $$. And that's where I'm really nervous. What if I don't love it in the future?! If I go custom, DH won't go for another dining table again - this will be it so I'll have to make it count ;-) Dee, what material is that table top? Is that a metal base? Gorgeous!

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Mine is rustic made from reclaimed pine and so smooth on top but knots and character that comes from reclaimed wood. Bought mine from Antique Tables Made Daily out of Sperryville Virginia. Take a look at their website. There tables are incredible!

• sis2two
    10 years ago

If you want I can post a picture of mine this evening. Dh has to load pics. Im challenged in doing it.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Your new kitchen and DR spaces are so pretty! I can't offer anything as to the table, but just a word of caution about a bench. They seem to be trendy now and my son and DIL just bought a table and bench/chair set from CB for their new house. They had both sides of the family over for a housewarming and her brother (early 30's) said to me...under his breath....that the bench was very uncomfortable for a longer, family dinner. Think about it....how long would you be comfortable sitting at a picnic table on a hard bench with no back support? I say get nice chairs with upholstered seats....if you have kids you can always cover them with Sunbrella fabric for easier cleaning.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

The picture I provided is an example I used, not my table. That one has a live edge; the one DH made does not. He made it out of lengths of cherry. We haven't stained it yet.

He was a welder so he will make the base out of mild steel. He says it's pretty easy and the profile is simple. He has made other, smaller table bases out of metal.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Love love love your rug! Sorry can't offer an opinion on your table, and forgive me for saying, but I hope you will be satisfied with the paned window/mirror replacing the painting which may actually be a better choice for that location....my concern is that the multipaned mirror may not look right sandwiched between two multipaned windows. At any rate, everything is coming together so beautifully - good luck with the table!

• AboutToGetDusty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! Dee, I'd love to see the table your DH makes you! Peegee, I love my new rug too...just hope I can pull it all together. Good point about the windows...I'll have to check and see how it looks before committing. I have the window-mirror already - it was an actual window from my in-law's house and it's super cool - I will find a place for it, if not there, then somewhere! Sis2two, would love to see your table. Thanks for pointing me toward that company. Looks like they make beautiful tables.

• gardenpea_gw
    10 years ago

What about these from world market? DD has the Verona and it has held up and is really heavy and solid for the price and looks nice, not cheap. She/we have been pleased so far. She got all chairs, no bench, but you can pick any kind of chair. But it might be too long with the built-in extension and short without it. The Lugano one fits your dimension and the reviews I read were good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verona table

• gardenpea_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry. Don't know how to post two links at a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lugano table

• gardenpea_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry. Don't know how to post two links at a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lugano table

• AboutToGetDusty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joaniepoanie, good point about the bench - but the bench would definitely be for the kiddos! I figure if I move someday and have a larger dining room, then I could always put the bench somewhere else, and get new chairs.

Gardenpea, my current table is from World Market (bought it more than a decade ago!) It served us well, and is solid, but I no longer like the style or finish. The Lugano looks like the same finish. Plus, I am hoping to find leaves at the end instead of ones that are inserted in the middle (personal preference).