Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nami_gw

Black furniture anyone

nami
16 years ago

Does anyone have furniture thats painted black? Dh wants a black coffee table in the loft(den), I am having the hardest time envisioning that.

I have seen rooms with black furniture and they look more contemporary our style is more transitional and I guess I cant picture a black coffee table with a classic or transitional style of decorating

Help!

Comments (22)

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I've seen black windsor chairs in a lighter transitional room and they looked wonderful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Room with black windsor chair

• runninginplace
    16 years ago

"Does anyone have furniture thats painted black? DH wants a black coffee table in the loft(den), I am having the hardest time envisioning that. "

I just ordered a black coffee table. It's the Thomasville Felicity; here's a picture of it:

As you can see it really isn't particularly modern. I'm putting it in my LR with this couch:

{{!gwi}}

And this chair:

I've also got a couple of very traditional leather club chairs in there, with this table between them:

Here's a view of the LR, looking from where the couch/coffee table are (to show you the color of the room):

I'm showing all this to give an idea of how a black piece of furniture can (hopefully-the table hasn't been delivered!) work a room going for electic traditional/British Colonial style.

Hope it helps,
    Ann

• gpbrodie
    16 years ago

I have a piece of black furniture and I love it. Just keep in mind that while black furniture is beautiful, it is a MAJOR dust magnet!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I have a black entertainment center. Before this one I had a smaller oak one. I love the black!

• nami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Runninginplace I love the furniture you've picked. Especially those cane backed chairs, took me back to my childhood days in Calcutta, India - the city in India where you'd see the influence of the British empire the most.
    I was trying to convince dh to go espresso instead of black bcoz he wants leather couches - the man room and all but I think the black would work too.

The loft is painted Bradstreet Beige not blue as in the above pictures.

Thanks for the pictures, they help.
    Nami

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

kmcg85: Would you mind sharing where you bought your entertainment center?

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Hi Organic! Sure, it is from Hooker. The Hampton Collection, I think. I was told it was discontinued.

• Linda
    16 years ago

organic, Broyhill (among many others) have a whole line of this stuff. Its called Grandmas attic Collection. Its very heavy, very nice stuff. All solid oak.

• amck2
    16 years ago

I chose a number of black painted furniture pieces for our new home. Most of our walls and all of our trim are white, so the black provides some nice "grounding."

I have a dining set and sideboard that are black, a distressed black chest we use as a coffee table, and my MB bed, night tables and blanket chest are all black.

My house is decorated in cottage style and the black pieces don't look too modern at all. I think the color doesn't determine that as much as the style of the furniture.

• ttodd
    16 years ago

Dust, dust, dust, dust, dust, dust, DUST! I also have forced air heat so that contributes A LOT! That being said I love black painted furniture & won't give it up. I agree that it can look very warm, inviting & sophisticated w/o it looking modern. Take the movie Somethings Gotta Give. There were a fair amount of black tables sprinkled throughout the LR. Love the darker wood pieces shown above (should check out that oval table myself!) as posted by Runninginplace and Karen your place looks just wonderful!

• duffy0401
    16 years ago

My mother has the one in this link and I really like it. My friend just got a plain round black one at Bombay Company during the going out of business sale; that is also very nice looking. I think that black can work with transitional style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee Table

• teacats
    16 years ago

Here's a look at Patina -- which has some gorgeous but pricy furniture -- usually only available through designers -- I think ......

Here is a link that might be useful: Patina furniture -- expensive but lovely!

• paddytc
    16 years ago

Karen 76... Love the barstools can you share where you got them. Thank you. Paddytc

Nami..As for black furniture, I think the style of furniture more than color will make something feel more contemporary. I have black tv console, kitchen chairs and a side table and my house feels more farmhouse casual. However, like ttodd said be ready to dust dust dust..

• summiebee
    16 years ago

Karen,
    Do you know where the round end table is from in the one pic? Love it!

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

Sorry some of it is cut out (this photo was for a flier) but here is my old living room with black. Love it, hate to dust it. Not sure if it's going in the new house or not!

• nami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love your tables justnotMartha. Can you share where they are from, please?

Thanks,
    Nami

• malhgold
    16 years ago

If you get a glass top to put on top of the coffee table, that should help with the dust situation. I painted all our bedroom furniture black and went to a glass store and had glass tops made for the nightstands and the dresser. The reflections off the glass seem to help hide the dust.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Check out a few of your local thrift stores, find a coffee table and paint it yourself. I've painted several pieces, and because I like a bit more elegant look, did some gold painting on them, and then lightly sanded. Rather than varnish, I gave them a finish of 2-3 coat of tung oil. I love my hand-done pieces! Two of the tables have Queen Anne legs, another book rack/table is more mission style, and the drop leaf desk I kept in the bathroom with rolled towels is my favorite piece.

Right now everything is in storage while my house is being built, and i'll probably find more furniture to paint. ;o)

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

believe it or not . . . . Target! With two young boys who "drive" cars over any piece of furniture we own I refuse to buy nice stuff until they are driving real cars! :-) Target has a whole line of it - can't think of the name off the top of my head - including bedroom furniture. I've had this stuff for about 2 years and it's held up really well, surprisingly.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

karen 76, can you tell me what is that blue on your walls? It's very pretty, as is your entire space. Very nice.

• karen_76
    16 years ago

Paddy: I'm sorry. I don't know where the barstools are from. I got them from a friend a couple of years ago.

Summiebee, the round table is something I picked up from the TJ Maxx Home Store recently. They only had one, so I snatched it up pretty quick.

Brutuses: Thanks! The paint color is Glidden's Restoration Teal (70GG 54/070).