Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Meeting with an Interior Designer next week

Zoe52
10 years ago

We are getting ready to build a new home. We are meeting with an Interior Designer next week. She already has a set of our plans for our next home. We have also sent pictures and dimensions of furniture and rugs that we will be using in our next home.

Since I have never built a home before, can someone please help us determine what are some good questions to ask her? She already sent us her contract fees and told us she has her own shop where we can go to save money (builder's cost) to find even builders materials (mostly for interior finishes), furniture, lighting, and window treatments.

So what questions should we be asking her before signing a contract?

Comments (4)

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I would talk to your builder first. Many builders can get interior finishes at lower prices than what it would cost you to buy in the store. So I have to wonder if the designer would actually be saving you money? Do a lot of research before you sign on the dotted line. Definitely talk to the builder first.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Don't believe that she will be passing her builder's (wholesale) cost to you!

Make sure the contract protects YOU. For a large project like this I would have my lawyer review the contract. I would assume since you are building and hiring a designer, that you have a "good" budget ... be ready to spend even more.

Make sure the contract states that your designer will itemize the hours spent on your project and state what she charges for materials, for example cost/wholesale plus a certain percentage. Request in the contract that she show you the cost invoices. Request detailed invoices with product #, material/fabric #, yardage, etc.

Hard lessons from working on a large project with a designer that does none of these things. I have no way of reconciling hours or materials ordered and continue to pay, even when the hours are due to a designer error. No details on the invoice, so no proof the error was hers. So ready to be done with her as soon as the last 2 sets of drapes are remade with more fabric. I did not agree to skimpy drapes, but have no proof, so paying for extra materials and her hours to fix the problem.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your responses.

Chispa, we have to tell her our budget and tell her she will have to decide what she can do to help us within that specified amount.

We will be meeting with both this designer and seeing our builder (to sign a contract with him) over the same weekend. We don't know our allowances with him yet. Since he builds all the wood finishes in the home on his own (he has his own woodworking shop), we will not be needing her help in selecting cabinetry or any wooded surfaces at all.

Right now, I am looking to hire her only to look over our plans to see if there are any problems that she can see in it. She will also help us decide what goes in each room. I have sent her a list of the furniture items and rugs that we will be bringing with us.

Mostly, I just want her help in picking out colors and some materials (granites). Also, help with lighting selections, too. I am not sure that we will use her store even though she claims it is a one stop shop. We would like to have the option to use either her stuff or our builder's recommendations. I know that she does decorate homes and provides material for builders who build spec homes in the area where we are moving.

Chispa, I think your suggestions are very good. I will be sure to request this in our contract if we decide to move forward with a designer.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Make sure you know exactly what each contractor is responsible for so that there isn't any overlap or a glaring gap.

We put on a 2 story addition and used a contractor that we had worked with before - but - we already had our own kitchen designer to handle the cabinets, counters, appliances.
    We insisted on a meeting with both contractors to iron out all those little details. For instance the builder's plan included 10 high hats in the kitchen ceiling - the kitchen designer's lighting plan called for 17.

There were a few other things that came up and it was helpful to discuss everything before we got started.

Good luck with your build.