Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetoo

Help me choose hardwood flooring to match cabinets

sweetoo
9 years ago

Howdy! Can anyone offer suggestions for hardwood flooring that will be installed through our whole main level (new construction)? And I only want prefinished... And it must be durable for a high traffic household with lots of children.

I prefer a medium color, semi gloss, not too yellowy or orangey. Maybe on the reddish side? I like the look of dark floors but don't like the way that show dirt. I also don't like my floors too light. I hate the look of oak grain, and loooove the grain and variation of walnut, and exotics like Tigerwood.

Oh, and here's the catch: it must go beautifully with our stained kitchen cabinets. I've posted a photo of the showroom so you can see what color they'll be. Countertops haven't been chosen yet...probably black on the perimeter, and white with gray/black flecks on the island...something like delicatus or Alaskan white. Wall will be cream, maybe?

What do you think??

Comments (13)

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and I like lots of movement in my granite, and I also like wild grains and variation on my floors, but don't mind evenly toned floors either .....will that look bad? If so, I'd rather keep the wild granite and have more even floors.

Thanks in advance!!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Most hardwoods do have a reddish tinge to them, Have you looked at Cherry or Brazilian Cherry.

If you`re looking for something with a more simple grain look at Maple. However, we chose Maple because of the lack of red in it.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think a medium tone floor with reddish undertones would be lovely. Sorry, but I would not do black countertops with those cabinets....too much dark on dark and could look gloomy....you need contrast here. I would do a perimeter counter in the same shade you choose for the flooring...then do a wild pattern tying everything together on the island.

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you think of this? It's tropical walnut...

• Dumitavi
    9 years ago

Congratulations on the kitchen, Soony, it looks beautiful.

If this was my house, I would go with either a maple cinnamon from Heidelberg Flooring or a Marbled Walnut from the same company.

Or, if you wanna stay close to your home, you can go to Mirage Flooring, one of the best flooring company in the world IMHO, and get one of their maple floors.

They also offer some nice exotic floors. But, if exotic floors is what you're after, Indusparquet has some breath taking floors to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirage Flooring

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice!! I probably will avoid the black granite, and go with a reddish brown maple, or the walnut I pictured above.
    PS: It's not my kitchen, wish it was, but it's the showroom:D

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Congrats! I don't know much about pre- finished floors, so I can't help you there. I agree that your beautiful, dark stained cabinets won't look their best with a dark granite. Have you looked at Quartz?

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dilly, I haven't really considered quartz...I really like the large swirls and bling found I some granites. It's just really tough getting the flooring to complement it.

I agree about the dark granite, but what do you think about this: a White Island with dark granite??

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Like this....

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or this....

• User
    9 years ago

Soony,
    As you look in the picture, you will see glass block running all along the back counter area.
    That is to the outside, allowing bright sun to shine through during the day.
    If you have a wall that you could actually do that with, and you will have to contact the builder and show him that picture, then I would say that wouldn't be too dark at all.
    But, if you aren't willing to put the extra money out to have all that glass block installed, (and if you look closely, the glass runs all the length of the room actually, and then glass door at the end of the room also, probably allows additional light in), then I would think twice about the black on black for your kitchen in that picture.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I think the creamy antique white cabinetry would be a nice compliment to your perimeter cabinets.

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Butterfly, sorry I didn't explain clearly. For those photos I was actually just looking at the island, and wondering how that white island would look with my dark cabinets. I have tons of big windows though...

Dilly, I agree, creamy cabinets would look amazing, but I have kids, and I think the splatters and streaks would drive me batty. The kitchen is sunny too, so I think that would make it show more...