Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoey75

Tight Squeeze?

zoey75
10 years ago

My husband placed the new vanity in our bath and it is slightly deeper than our last one. The new vanity is a standard 21" depth. The space between the edge of the granite & wall that is bumped out is 23". Is this too small of a space for people to fit comfortably by? It does open up at the tub. I did some research and the minimum requirement is 21" from vanity to wall. I am not sure what to do at this point? Thank you!

EDD: The side of the vanity is not on yet ;)

This post was edited by zoey75 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 11:08

Comments (8)

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Picture & thank you all again!

EDD: The side of the vanity is not on yet ;)

This post was edited by zoey75 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 11:08

• crl_
    10 years ago

Code in my area is a minimum thirty inches. Not sure what code is in your area and whether you need to pass any inspections or if your code requirements are triggered by just replacing a vanity, etc., etc.

We have an old bathroom that pre-dates our local code requirement (and is therefore completely legal to leave as-is) and only has 24 inches between the vanity and the tub. It's not ideal, but it is doable.

I think it depends a bit on the people using the bathroom. If there is only ever one person in there at a time, it is probably fine. If there are two or more jostling about (like when dh and I give dd a bath in our bathroom) it is a bit too tight for comfort for us.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I once cut a vanity to make it shallow enough to fit in DM's small bathroom. You may want to do that, but it would also require you make adjustments to the countertop or buy a new top.

Other option is to just buy a new vanity with sink built in. The shallow (24x17") vanity from Lowes is just one example.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

So you are talking about the space between the corner of the bumped out wall and the corner of the vanity? It seems that once you are past that spot, there is more room to maneuver. It does look tight, but only at that one place. Would you be hitting yourself on the vanity as you pass by? I think it is the kind of thing you would soon learn to do-si-do around without thinking. You would just become accustomed to it. However, if two people are in there at once, I think it would be a problem.

I have learned never to give up function for appearance. It's up to you to decide if this will make you crazy in the long run. A short depth vanity would also make me a bit nuts for lack of space to put things down. Up to you!

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really don't want to have to rebuy another vanity or another top :( I really do need the counter space especially for the kids. Maybe I can cut a few inches off of this one? I think the problem is that it is a 1955 & the bath is just small.

Yes I am referring to the space between the corner of the wall and vanity. There is no way anyone would need to squeeze or bump themselves into the vanity but it is a tighter spot than I would like. And it is only 1.5" of the vanity that is across from that wall, the rest is open by the tub.

I am only 5ft so I am not a good judge of "average" space. But my husband is 5' 9" (average build) and can fit no problem.

It is just that 1.5" spot between the vanity & the wall that is giving me a problem.

This post was edited by zoey75 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 12:20

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Code should not be a concern unless you were changing the dimensions of the bathroom and IRC is 21" between vanity and wall even for the space standing in front of it, so this pinch point while not ideal, should not be much of a problem. 24" is still the IRC minimum required for the door into a bath and with a jamb it's really close to 23".

So my answer is, it's a little tight, but not unreasonably so. I certainly wouldn't want to have a tiny vanity as the solution.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much ineffablespace!! We made no changes in the dimensions of the bathroom. And pinch point is the perfect way to describe it. I really did not want a tiny vanity again, it was hard with the kids (everything they put up there would side into the sink). Our door swing is not a problem, we have 38" between the door jam & cabinet. I really appreciate your reasoning it out for me.

And we couldn't move the vanity to the left because of the toilet & to the right is a closet, it had to be where it is.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Before you decide, use it and see how everyone adapts to it. It may be just fine.