Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yodajo

Need help picking out ceiling lights

yodajo
9 years ago

We are (finally) redoing our stairs and downstairs hallway. The plan is to remove all the carpet, install hardwood on the upstairs landing, redo the stairs and install a runner, install wainscoting, new paint and finally, replace the old lights. This leads to a few questions...

1) We are also planning on redoing our kitchen in the next two years. Should the metals of the lights match the hardware and lights in the kitchen? The kitchen begins at the end of the hallway. I am leaning towards some type of nickel hardware for the kitchen, so I'm not sure if I should rule out any bronze fixtures for my hallway and upstairs lights?

2) I was looking at these lights for the hallway ( http://www.pottehrybarn.com/products/calhoun-glass-flush-mount-ceiling-fixture/?pkey=clighting-all-sale&;) and this for the upstairs (http://www.potterybarn.com/products/calhoun-glass-pendant/?pkey=cseasonal-clearance-lighting&;), but the pendant is going to hang too low, even if we don't use all the chain and I was unsure about the antiqued bronze. Has anyone seen any lights that would work in the space?

I feel like the two spaces (upstairs and hall) need to coordinate well since they are both visible together. I would love to hear your thoughts and see any recommendations you may have.
Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light fixtures

Comments (10)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Have you considered putting can lights in the hall and a hanging fixture (chandelier or large pendant) in the highpoint of the stairwell? Or maybe wall sconces in the hall? I ask, because the ceiling doesn't appear to be very tall and even the current boob lights make it feel a bit low to me.

• yodajo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, that hadn't even crossed my mind! That is a good possibility though. How many would you place in the hall? Here is another picture where you can see they are offset from each other.
    I'm sure there is some sort of standard I can google for can placement?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It looks like you've mixed two styles in your home. Is the door molding staying? My MIL had that original to her home from the early 1900s. That style suits the PB light you posted. But then I see a white paneled door which looks kind of non-descript traditional (it's what I have in my 1999 house) and you mention wainscoting. White too? Where are you going style-wise?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I agree. Recessed lighting for the ceilings, with a semi-flush small chandy for the foyer and table lamps for the rest.

• yodajo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house was built in 1995 and was very country when we bought it. I guess I am going for a more transitional style?
    The doors are staying. The wainscoting will be inset. The oak will all be painted white like this photo, except for the steps and railing. which will be stained just slightly darker (but definitely not dark-just enough to tone down the honey color).

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It was the door molding I was asking about. The style is different than the doors, and not transitional. Seems like it's a later addition in an older style to keep with the country feel. I would correct that and use traditional molding and then plan stair rails and lights from there.

• yodajo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The door molding will have to stay since it in in every room throughout the house and replacing it all in a 3000 s.f. house is not in the budget and I don't have the stamina for that right now. Hopefully it blends in more once it's painted. I am about halfway through painting all the oak trim in this house and what you pointed out never occurred to me. I don't think it looks bad in the rooms I have completed. Is it a glaring oversight that I am just not seeing?

• yodajo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe the trim can be swapped out in the main living and open areas? The rooms I have completed are all bedrooms, baths, etc. I do see your point, especially after looking at pictures online.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

It will for sure not be so glaring once they are all painted the same, maxsam. It's a great step in the right direction, if time and budget are applying constraints.

Painting trim twice is just not a very fun thing and paint CAN build up.

It looks like the interior trim has the flutes/corbels but the exterior trim does not? Or is just at the main doorway?

• yodajo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, every door, interior and exterior, (and windows) have those square corbels. And this house has an excess of doors and windows. :(

I do think it's good to have it pointed out. I hadn't considered it at all and when it comes times to do the kitchen, the fluting and corbels will clash with the look I am going for in there. So, if I can talk my husband into the extra work, I think we can replace the trim in the open areas. I don't care about the bedrooms. The windows are covered by long panels anyway. ;)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH