Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersmom

WWYD - Kitchen window transom

homersmom
9 years ago

Now that I'm squared away on the home office paint selection, I'm moving on to the next item on my 2015 project list. Last year I made panels for the kitchen window and I'm happy with them. What I don't care for is the transom above. To me, it needs something. I don't want a shelf - not interested in dusting more than I have to. Any ideas? My neighbor is a stained glass artist - maybe something along that line? A schoolhouse pendant light?

Comments (47)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I don't think I would do color, but a clear glass design would be lovely!
    FWIW: I know you said you like your panels, but since you don't like the transom, I would have done a roman shade there instead of panels.

This post was edited by ellendi on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 11:24

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A roman shade would indeed look nice, but DH likes to look out at the back yard and I'm pretty sure fabric would obscure the view.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You could check into window film...easy to apply and it comes in clear or colored with patterns like stained glass. Look at solyx for a great selection.

I know you said you are happy with your curtains, but you could raise the rod and add a border to the curtain so that it includes the transom instead of hanging below it.

I always like pendant fixtures and they come in such gorgeous shapes and colors these days. They also bring the source of light closer to where you're working.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Just a humble opinion, but I really like the transom window - especially when I saw it mirrored in the windows by your table & chairs. Makes it work for me.

I note that you have hanging pots and staggered cabinets, and pattern created by your backsplash tiles. It seems enough interest in that area.

BTW, I'm giving you nearly the same feedback I received recently when I was pining to put more color/pattern in my backsplash. It helped to see my space through fresh eyes.

Beautiful kitchen & view!

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

I love what you have now...gorgeous view outside, too!

I would add a pendant light and call it complete!

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I think a hanging stained-glass piece would be spectacular!

Wayfair has them.... here's one that might work: {{gwi:2137449}}
    You can call your glass-artist friend, or here's the Wayfair page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayfair stained glass panels

• annzgw
    9 years ago

I would suggest the same as Annie.
    At the most I'd add muntins/grilles to make squares or diamonds and/or hang a pendant light.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Some examples[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/diamond-muntins-help-windows-look-sharp-stsetivw-vs~2344682)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Unless it absolutely would not look good with the exterior of your home, I vote for diamond pattern muntins. I think it would be a subtle connection between backsplash and transom.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think hanging a stained-glass piece up there is a great idea. It would give the kitchen a splash of color while still letting light in as well. eBay has tons of them.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

My first reaction was to leave the transom as it is and place three small do dads in the space above.

I also like the idea of a different light fixture there but that seems like too much work.

As to the transom: Did you know glass could be etched? It would not be as busy as a cut glass window.

Window film is available but patterns are limited.

I love your kitchen, especially the countertop/backsplash

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

You seem to have a lot of brown in your kitchen. While I like the transom as is, I would do a very simple stained glass piece that brings in another color. Otherwise, I like the idea of a beveled glass piece too.
    Diane

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Not sure why you installed panels at the kitchen sink. I guess privacy isn't an issue considering the panels you installed in the rest of the kitchen don't close.

I would take down the panels, hang a pendant light and be finished. Or I would take down the panels, hang a bamboo roman shade that is fixed in position at the top of the ceiling and be finished.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the mock-up, Beverly. I don't have panels on the other windows. They are all bare, including the slider with transom above. In the winter it's like living in a fishbowl. I love it in the summer since our backyard is wooded and we don't really see our neighbor's homes.

I like window treatments, but could never come up with anything that could work with these windows.

This post was edited by homersmom on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 16:24

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Leaded clear glass, rather than colorful stained, in the diamond design. AND a *fancy* chandelier w/crystals. Think of the sparkle that would come off the window when the light was on!

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

We have a very similar window in our kitchen above the sink. We have nothing on it. I like the clean look of no window treatments in that location. It lets my kitchen be the star rather than any window treatments I might put there.

And now that I know you have a wooded backyard, as we do, I'd suggest removing the panels and leaving the entire window bare.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I like what you have now.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

For sure the transoms need nothing. They are not a privacy issue nor are they part of the "fish bowl". I see no reason for the panels in the kitchen. Why there and not around the corner? It is incongruent. A pendant would be nice, but not necessary or a huge addition.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I'm wondering why you didn't make the curtains long enough to begin with and hang them from the transom. Problem solved.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

k9arlene - the reason I didn't make them "long enough to begin with" is that I didn't think that I would like them hung so high, especially since the cabinets are not to the ceiling.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

As it stands now, the curtains don't line up with any of the cabinets. Maybe someone could mock up the curtains hanging from the top of the transom, not up to the ceiling.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I would go for the stained glass piece in transom area, but I'm in an older home and like that kind of thing. Feel it adds character to a space. If doing a clear beveled transom, the glass artist can add some bevels to pickup on your backsplash design. In the photo, most of your kitchen looks brown and white, I'd rather see some color in the glass transom in a simple design. Rather than installing within the window frame, just hang it in front and take it with you when you move! ðÂÂÂ

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Thanks Beverly. Don't know what anyone else thinks, but it looks good to me and is a simple solution if the op is looking for simple.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Beverly.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Is it necessary to have curtains/shades for privacy?
    The view that could be seen is very nice. I would not put anything on the window. It looks great as is, same as dining (?) area.

There is so many different lines there already - uppers are different height, top of the windows is another, bottom of the transom too. Whatever you'll 'hang' will just exaggerate so many different horizontals lines in small area, regardless where you hang it. If absolutely necessary for privacy or shade, very simple sun shade (different density available) that blends in would be my choice.

I see light above sink - isn't that sufficient? Again, unless absolutely necessary, I would not add anything more hanging there. I think it may clutter-up that corner.

I think your kitchen is very nice as is & view is very desirable.
    Just my .02....Rina

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I really like it as is, such a pretty window!

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I really like beverly's mock up for k9 as it lessens some of the many different lines you have going with varying heights of the cabinets and window frames. The way you have it now just exaggerates the different lines. Just saying.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Ditto oaktonmom's comments. I think the panels hanging from the top of the window frame help to give the kitchen a warm, cozy feeling and pull in the color of your brown baskets. Consider removing the baskets from the diagonal corner wall cabinet to keep everything the same height. By the way, I covet your spectacular views. Do you mind saying what state you are in?

• amykath
    9 years ago

If you really want the panels I'd do what Beverly suggested. It looks great! Otherwise I'd do no panels and add a pendant.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like the majority of responders prefer bare windows. I'll try it and see if I can live with it. I do wonder what a pendant might do for the space. Oh Beverly, are you there? If you see this and care to photoshop some kind of pendant, I would so appreciate it. Thanks much to everyone.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texasgal47 - We are in NE Ohio (otherwise known as the Ohio snowbelt!)

This post was edited by homersmom on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 8:18

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here are a couple of mock ups.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Another

• amykath
    9 years ago

One more idea.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - thank you! What do you think? Yay or nay?

• amykath
    9 years ago

One more

• amykath
    9 years ago

Homer, after looking at everything, I say you take the panels up to the top window (transom) as shown by Beverly and either leave it like that or do the window panels up to the transom and add a pendant. I think both look great!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think I prefer the pendant and the panels up to the transom. I would keep the pendant light in color. I like the one I posted or something similar.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate the mock ups and your opinion - thank you!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Anytime!

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I think those panels are perfect for kitchen windows. And keep them at that same height.

I like the transom, but I also like the idea of stained glass.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I like the panels to the top of the transom AND the second pendant that aktillery posted. The one that looks like an old schoolhouse light.

Pretty pretty kitchen. I like brown. Maybe you could add a splash of green - like a plant.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, but there's no place to put a plant by the sink. My DH's plants are around the corner in the sunroom. In the summer we are surrounded by green. The photo doesn't really show it, but the granite is creme, black, taupe, caramel and gold. My pop of color comes from fresh flowers on the lazy Susan which sits on the island.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Homersmom, you've been given lots of good advice. What have you decided to try?

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm leaving the panels as is (because I don't want to make new ones) and am looking for a pendant.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Another option instead of feeling like you need to make new panels is just alter this set. You could raise the rod above the window and add perhaps a sheer fabric above your current panels. There would just be a seam where the windows change. That way you could reduce all the different visual levels in the space yet keep a lighter look than long panels would provide. Just a thought.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Another option instead of feeling like you need to make new panels is just alter this set. You could raise the rod above the window and add perhaps a sheer fabric above your current panels. There would just be a seam where the windows change. That way you could reduce all the different visual levels in the space yet keep a lighter look than long panels would provide. Just a thought.