Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miz_m

Chalk Paint Projects

Miz_M
11 years ago

Lynxe, here are more pics of the game table. The gold outline on the chess board is used with metallic gold craft paint.

I'll post some of our other projects, too, for anyone interested in chalk painting. I'll do each project in a separate post, so please give me a minute, I'm slow. :)

I use my own mixture of Plaster of Paris + latex paint. Sometimes wax after (Johnson's Paste Wax, or Minwax), and sometimes we poly instead of wax, mainly for tabletops.

Game Table, Before:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (28)

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Harlequin Table

Before (pic inside thrift store, we got the table for $55.)

{{!gwi}}

After (I used leftover interior trim paint from our house mixed with PofP for the lighter color, and brown craft paint for the darker diamonds...we poly'ed the top):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And, our assistant, Aurora. She is a vital part of our team. (She's actually the neighbor's dog, but loves to come visit us). :-D

{{!gwi}}

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got a phone call, expecting company (actually my Dad, he's bringing over a piece of furniture for us to paint), I'll be back later to post a few other projects.

Thank you for looking! :)

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Wow. Amazing transformation! I especially like the soft glow of the paint - nothing to glaringly harsh - and the here-and-there glints of the wood showing through.

Now that I've seen the table top close up, I realize I wouldn't be able to get that look with black paint alone, since our table lacks the lovely grain that yours had. If I were to try this, I'd have to do the some kind of faux graining.

Did you also paint the undersides?

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still waiting, here's another.....

Our very first experiment with chalk painting. I'm not proud of this piece, and I would do so much differently looking back, but it is what it is. We found it on CL, it had been sitting outside for years. I love natural wood, and don't like painting just anything, but this was very damaged, we got it for $50, and I wanted to experiment. I understand any hate directed towards us for painting over a sweet Art Deco piece like this. ;-)

The woman we did it for loved it, so all is good.

Before:

{{!gwi}}

Stripped and sanded the top, restained:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

French Provencial China Cabinet...a very common project, I notice on the web. The pics didn't come out well, it's actually a very light gray (chalk paint). Restained the buffet top. I had a hard time painting this one, I like the maple color and vintage look, but up close, it wasn't a nice finish (plastic-looking):

Before:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

Staged:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, Lynxe, just saw your post.....

I do paint the undersides, my SO (and painting partner) is VERY anal about our pieces! :-D

And thank you so much! The most challenging part is doing the grid for the chess squares, luckily he's talented in that area, because I'm NOT!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plant stand, was bored on a rainy day, and got this for free. This is using craft paints, not chalk paint.

Before:

{{!gwi}}

After (it now sits on my patio):

{{!gwi}}

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another rainy day project, was tired of this plant stand looking so plain....but now I don't want to put a plant on it, I want to see the top. :)

Again, using craft paints over wrought iron.

Before:

{{!gwi}}

After (legs are purple)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last post....these are Mexican pine nightstands I've had a long time, wanted them more colorful for our guest room...

Before:

{{!gwi}}

After (work in progress right now):

{{!gwi}}

Thank you for looking at my projects! :)

• nutsaboutplants
    11 years ago

Amazing!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, nutsaboutplants!

We sold most of the pieces,, and are now working on redoing my Dad's bedroom furniture. He owns a motorcycle shop, has a Harley (at 70!), and wants to go from light oak to flat black with hammered metal silver accents.

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

Thanks for showing that make your own chalk paint can look as good (or in your case better) than the expensive stuff.
    Love all your projects.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, ingeorgia!

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Very AMAZING projects!

And I thought my neighbor was creative when she pulled a metal table base off my trash pile, painted it neon green, set a large clay saucer (also painted green) on top to make a plant stand. Silly me, you have taken it to a new level.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mustangs!

I appreciate the kind comments. :-)

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Your projects and fabulous. Love all of them. You and your SO do wonderful work.

Was curious are you the same MIZ M that posts at HGTV??

• lefleur1
    11 years ago

Not only are your projects wonderful ~~ but ~~ your sense of decorative design for scale and balance shown in the vignettes is wonderful too.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, lilsophie, thank you! Yes, it is me (Jill) .... I still visit HGTV, but it's too hard to post pics there. My computer does not like that site. Nice to see you!

Thank you, lefleur! I used to be a merchandiser, really miss doing it.

I appreciate the kind compliments very much! :-)

This post was edited by Miz_M on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 16:09

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to post an example of a piece we found that I wouldn't even consider painting. It would make me cry to see this beauty painted. It went to a couple who just bought an historic Arts and Crafts bungalow in Ft. Worth, and I made sure they weren't going to paint it. :-D

Quarter-sawn Tiger Oak:

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Look at this beautiful grain, she was rough when we found her:

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

HI jill, I thought that was you. So happy to see you. And so glad your doing good. It's good to see. :)

Your pieces are amazing. : )

• User
    11 years ago

Your talent is incredible. I am in awe. I sure wish you were closer...and I don't even need anything LOL...I would buy from you just because it is so wonderfully creative. c

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lilsophie, thank you, that means a lot. :)

Thank you so much, Trailrunner! I admire the talent on this board so much, I really appreciate the compliments! :)

• loribee
    11 years ago

Wonderful, wonderful....including the fab vignette's!~

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

Those are just beautiful - you have such vision and talent! Thanks for sharing!

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

My daughter and I love to play scrabble when she visits. We have done this since she was young. Grandma was always there too, we toast her before a game...so many memories.

Daughter is legally blind, getting harder for both of us to play. I love the game table and also the table with all the colors. Have been putting off painting a large scrabble board on the kitchen table. Want to use colors off the norm, teal instead of blue, rust instead of pink, etc. Have found a way to enlarge all with pics from the net to use as a pattern. Tiles are an easy deal with a stamped leather letter tool. Need to get on this project.

Thanks for reminding me to work on this.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Miz M, your projects look great. I think I'm going to have to try chalk paint after all. Yours doesn't look as thick as the furniture I saw at a craft mall. Love your black table.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all! I really appreciate the kind compliments. :)

Technicolor, would love to see your scrabble board! Thank you for sharing your sweet story. :)