Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmetto

Big or small?

scpalmetto
9 years ago

Your advice is needed. I would prefer not to have anything on the floor in our remodeled MB but I am short on storage and think I want to hang a medicine chest. the design of RH's Cartwright appeals to both DH and myself. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1161164&categoryId=search

I am torn, thinking the small is too small and the large is too large. What do you think? A towel bar will go underneath and it is approximately 1 1/2" wider than the small cabinet and about the same distance narrower than the large. The grab bar cannot be moved, that was the only spot having the appropriate structure behind the drywall.

Thanks for you opinions. Here is a mock up of the small cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware - Cartwright

Comments (21)

• scpalmetto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a mock up of the larger cabinet

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the larger cabinet fills the space better. Then maybe a similarly framed piece of artwork to the right? Or maybe even two cabinets?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd cut a big ol' hole in that wall and create a recessed, shelved closet with double doors, like this, only larger and with doors

• scpalmetto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I would love something like that but there is a pocket door behind that space and an electrical panel on the section where the tub is.

Will definitely balance the cabinet with art or open shelves or - something. I am leaning towards the larger one, always better to have more storage. :-)

• teacats
    9 years ago

How about adding a long white shelf across the top of the doorway and further across the room for small items ....

...and add white shelves (perhaps two) across the whole wall area just above the wall handle? You could plan the depth of the new shelves to hold gray baskets or even fabric-covered boxes .....

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Floating shelves are an interesting idea for that wall. I was thinking more of chunky wood ones in weathered tones to match your tile as opposed to one long white shelf as teacarts is suggesting, but that's definitely something to think about. As is whether you want a mirror right by your tub like that.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Will a big one create a conflict with the grab bar? You want to be able to grab it, not carefully insert your hand.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Be sure that when you open the door, it doesn't knock into the grab bar.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Think about what kind of storage you need--for small toiletries that would go in the cabinets you are considering? Or do you need to store larger things such as towels that would look nice on an open shelf, or toilet paper that needs to be hidden?
    The white shelves would blend in nicely with your trim and tub. What color is your vanity?

• graywings123
    9 years ago

It seems like an odd place for a medicine cabinet, which usually is placed near the sink or counter. I know you want to keep the floor clear, but I would put a tall, narrow cabinet there.

And I am wondering how that grab bar is going to help anyone in or out of the tub, given how the tub appears to be sloped at that end.

• mdrive
    9 years ago

i would take the grab bar down...it is so far away from the tub....is this some code issue?

and i would go with the larger cabinet

• autumncolor5
    9 years ago

Between those, I like the big one better.

Is there room for a medicine cabinet above the sink or to a wall by the sink?

• User
    9 years ago

I would go with the larger cabinet. The towel bar being smaller than it will look better than it being bigger than the cabinet. Open shelving is a nice idea but I would rather close my stuff up because you know eventually it'll be a mess... or at least in my house it would : ) nice to close that stuff off.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Is it possible to find something similar without a mirror? I prefer the large size, but not sure about having a mirrored cabinet there. Especially if you plan to hang artwork next to it. I too would remove the grab bar. agree with others it doesn't seem to be close enough to be of use.

How much storage space do you have with your vanities? I can understand your not wanting to cover the beautiful tile and have a standing cabinet. It really depends on what you plan/need to store in the wall-mounted cabinet. And what other options might be available; i.e., a custom-made cabinet or wall-mounted shelf system you might find at Ikea that could be made useful with storage baskets or bins to meet your needs.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

"Be sure that when you open the door, it doesn't knock into the grab bar."

Look at the photo again.
    Or read post #5.
    :)

• scpalmetto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:-), Yes it is a pocket door. The grab bar is really adjacent to the tub, it just looks further away in the photo and it works quite well; I just use it to steady myself as I step out. The curved lip on the tub is great for grabbing.

I've always had a charming little sideboard in that space with a mirror above it but we had a more traditional drop in tub in the old bathroom. I find the sideboard is in the way now and takes away from the shape of the new pedestal tub.

I am just going to use this cabinet for smalls, things I don't want to bend down to get. I have a linen closet adjacent to the bathroom and plenty of space in the vanity cabinets and drawers for things like TP.

I wish I could find a cabinet we like w/o a mirror but have not found the "perfect one." Years ago I had a wonderful antique medicine cabinet (no mirror) and when we sold the house the buyers made sure it was included it in the contract. It really was beautiful and the whole family keeps saying "if only we still had the old one." LOL

Pretty sure I don't want many open shelves, the less I have to dust the better.

So many good ideas, so much to think about......

• User
    9 years ago

These may be to rustic/primitive for you but it's something to look at and maybe consider similar options if you don't like the one you have picked out with the mirror. That is a pretty piece though you have picked.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would not want a mirrored cabinet in that space, large or small. Here is an option for much less money and no mirror - you can find this almost anywhere:

• pps7
    9 years ago

Have both sizes in my house- go with the large. The small is teeny tiny.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I think it will look lovely with the large one and compliment the room very well. It's important that the room function the way you want. I like it,

• scpalmetto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pps7 - Thank you, I'm glad to hear that first hand.

Sasafras - that one was my first choice but we just didn't like the construction when we saw it in person.