Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyg215

the travertine over the fireplace is up...

Suzy
13 years ago

if anyone remembers, i was polling on here on which to use for my fireplace, the travertine or the stacked stone. we went with the travertine and i'm in love. the mantel will be painted on wednesday (the same color as the built-ins). will post finished product later in the week. it's being grouted and you can hardly see the lines that you see in the pic below.

Comments (24)

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Oh wow, that looks great!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Shazam! Can you share details on that tile? And is that what is used inside of the mantle area?

I am in love with that stone!

oh, and by the way....FAHHHBULOUSSSS

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Lovely!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Very sophisticated.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow! The new fireplace looks fantastic! I love that travertine. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see finished pictures with grout and the painted mantle.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

That looks amazing! Well done.

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

That's absolutely beautiful!!!

• User
    13 years ago

Just stunning!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

That is absolutely beautiful! Before I read your post I thought the wood was a different color stone and thought how beautiful that combo looked. I'm thinking beekeeperswife might be thinking like I was.

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! Great job!

• msrose
    13 years ago

Beautiful! The little bit I can see of the room reminds me of a Candice Olson room.

Laurie

• User
    13 years ago

Very cool!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Love it!!!!!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Wonderful!!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

WOW, that's gorgeous. May I ask, how was the substrate (the original fireplace) prepared for the travertine?

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

It's beautiful!!!
    You must be thrilled with the outcome!

Please post pics when this gorgeous FP is all complete:)
    Would love to see this in the room.

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

beekeeper: the inside surround is the slab of the same travertine that the tiles are made from...silver vein cut travertine. i would have done the whole thing in slab but it was way over our budget.

flyleft: no particular preparation. it's just painted drywall. the slab surround was stuck on w/epoxy. the tiles above the wood mantel were put on using mortar.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

WOW again, srg. Just epoxy on painted drywall, and then mortar on painted drywall? Wow again. I'm bringing my husband over to see this. Of course, we have a brick monstrosity we have to tile over, but this gives me renewed energy...can't wait to see the finished-finished pics.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I love the large scale running bond...though maybe that will kind of disappear once the grouting is done. Really marvelous!

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

^

I have fireplace envy - that is stunning!!!!!!!!!

Can u post a before pic?

• catkin
    13 years ago

That is flippin' gorgeous!

• susanka
    13 years ago

Stunning indeed. I love it. Congratulations!

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

a before pic:

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago