Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muffett_gw

Ideas for window treatments needed

Muffett
10 years ago

Hi...I am hopeless at decorating. With the help of the GW kitchen forum, I have muddled through bazillions of decisions and don't want to blow it now. So I am looking for ideas on what to do for window treatments in my new kitchen / dining room space.

I have white honeycomb blinds I will put back up on the existing windows for privacy. However the kitchen window and back door are new so I have nothing! My taste is simple and I'm decorating a 1400 sq. ft. 1955 ranch.

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. :)

Comments (9)

• Muffett
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a view of the back door. Maybe a description of current finishes will help?
    Cabinets and all trim is ultra pure white.
    Wall color is Gypsy Magic (plum) and accent wall / outside door is Aubergine / Eggplant.
    Granite is moonlight - gray / white with plum Flecks
    Finish is satin nickel
    Floor is red oak (?) hardwood throughout

This post was edited by Muffett on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 10:51

• Jamie
    10 years ago

You are emphasizing the wall area around the kitchen window with color. Although I like the aubergine wall with the door and windows, I think the sink wall should be the same color as the wall on either side of the range backsplash.

That doesn't address your wt question. I'm sorry. I looked for a fabric for my kitchen for almost a year. Initially I wanted something punchy, but instead I chose a large scale graphical print in neutral colors similar to my cabs and counters, and I'm happy. Kitchens are so busy -- you might be happies with treatments that are similar in color to your honeycombs, with maybe a border for a touch of definition.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Pretty Kitchen. Something in these colors, style?

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Suggestion: And then for the door, I would do something simple for privacy and for windows near door use the same or coordinating fabric that you use over sink.

This post was edited by zen4d on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 10:47

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

For someone who is "hopeless at decorating" your kitchen looks fabulous!

Take a look at the window treatment thread for ideas.

I love aubergine...have been in my aubergine phase for a couple of years now.

I would get the honeycombs for privacy and light control for the other windows.

I'd then put a valance over the kitchen window. Maybe out of a print fabric that picks up on the aubergine and silver in the room...(Joann's)

or I might get one that adds some green with it....

How is the space by the back door used...will it have a table? Or will it be open as it is?

Here is a link that might be useful: window treatment ideas

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Personally, I love the white wood slat blinds. They're cool and crips and fresh looking, airy, and would be beautiful in your kitchen, which is beautiful, btw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizontal wood slat blinds

• Gracie
    10 years ago

It seems to me that there's no middle ground. You have stark white cabinets, island, and trim against the deep jewel tones of the paint and accent tile. I think you need something with medium tones to bring them together--no white or solid deep colors.

Is the Gypsy Magic paint every where or just over the window? I know from the kitchen forum that your accent tile has a lot of red in it, so I know why you painted in the GM, but I don't think it and the eggplant will be an easy combination to work with. Annie's second photo brings in the reds and the purples on a softer cream background, so I'd try something like that to start.

• Muffett
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

@ annie - I see a trip to Joann's in my future I really like the first fabric you posted.

@ May_flowers - the kitchen did end up without a lot of middle ground. The paint around the window is the "gypsy magic" a medium plum. I will definitely use that color around the hood. I don't think I posted a picture with the Aubergine in it. The aubergine is two shades darker from Gypsy Magic on the same Behr selection card.

I based the paint colors off the purples / plums in the backsplash tile that blends with the plum flecks in the granite.

@ Tibbrix - thanks for the link. I'll go check out the white wood slat blinds.

What do you all use on the back of your doors? I was worried about a treatment sliding around...and yet I do want to be able to open/close to let light in.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You can do Venetian blinds that hook at the bottom so they don't slap around, or they make blinds that are enclosed that attach over the door glass.