Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snbtwins

Thoughts on fabric sample for drapes in living room

Snbtwins
9 years ago

Hi. I am finally ready to think about window treatments in our living room. I have had this fabric swatch for months but I can't seem to commit. I think it definitely goes with the room but I think the fact that they are striped silk may be holding me back. Is this very out of style now? Will they date the room?

Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:2137387}}

{{gwi:2137388}}

{{gwi:2137389}}

{{gwi:2137390}}

{{gwi:2137391}}

{{gwi:2137392}}

Comments (17)

• springroz
    9 years ago

That is a pretty fabric, and a beautiful room, but I think your gut is right. It seems a bit shiny. And a bit monochromatic. I think you could use a little more punch.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Very pretty fabric. I think it would be very nice in there but I'd also look at linen drapes ,which are a bit more casual and I think would therefore suit the room better, maybe.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I don't think they're out of style, nor will they date the room. They would look fine. But I never use a fabric I don't absolutely love. So I would pass and find something else.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Are you doing just panels or full-drawn drapes. If just panels I think it will be ok but for full-drawn drapes you are right to be hesitant. Those drapes will produce a very grey and, as mentioned, monochromatic room - unless that is what you are looking for. It's hard to tell - but what colours are in your rug?

It looks like you have pulled the background colour of it for pillows and throws (and dog) so maybe consider doing the same thing in your drapes. But, it really does depend on the look that you're going for and if you want the drapes to be a part of the decorative look of the room or not.

• nini804
    9 years ago

I think it is absolutely lovely...and really perfect for the room. Your rug has a lot of color, and I think your drapes SHOULD be a bit more subtle, color-wise. I admit, though, I am probably biased. My mother, as an incredibly generous gift, gave me a designer to do drapes (and other things) in the dining room of my old house. Working with her, I chose the most gorgeous fabric I had ever seen....a Cowtan and Tout striped silk with soft shades of champaign, raspberry pink, and soft green. I kid you not...I love those drapes like a family member. ;) When we built, I had the workroom re-do them to account for the fact that our new house had 10' ceilings vs. 9. The fabric is 15 years old now...and I still adore them. Striped silk "ball gown" drapes will never be out of style to me! I have loved them ever since I first heard of Gerrie Bremerman in Southern Accents.

• User
    9 years ago

I also think the fabric will make perfect curtains for the pictured room. Some elements need to be understated and elegant. The room has plenty of interest and the red rug and accents give it lots of color. The shine and drape of the material will add another layer of detail I think you'll love. (Would definitely not go to a more casual fabric with a dull finish like linen, which would just would absorb light.)

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

The silk seems a little dressy for your current room. And a stripe fabric can be tricky to work with. Example: a pinch pleat secured every 5 inches can highlight one section of the stripe over the other. That's just something you need to keep in mind regarding all wide stripes. What style of drapes are you interested in? Panels? Do you need them to close? Will you be keeping all the furniture?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I tried to do a mock up. This is pretty bad but may give you an idea?

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

No opinion on drapes, but what a cute Cavalier!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You have a lot of red as an accent so it only makes sense to me to have the drapes include the red...

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I think the shiny, silk drapes are a bit too formal looking for your room.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Striped silk "ball gown" drapes will never be out of style to me! I have loved them ever since I first heard of Gerrie Bremerman in Southern Accents.

Yup. I love Gerrie Bremermann, too, especially her stuff before she started incorporating MCM.

That said, I would like to see some red incorporated somewhere else. Perhaps a stripe like AD shows, but in a silk that you like. Or, perhaps use the fabric you show, but add a trim on the leading edge that incorporates some red.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 11:56

• nini804
    9 years ago

Oh, yes! Trim! Love trim!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think your striped silk is lovely and will be perfect in your room. I am thinking of using a striped silk in my bedroom with a leading edge trim that I found while searching for key tassels.

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses!

Some of you asked about the rug, it is red, gold and green and the raised flowers are silk.

{{gwi:2137394}}

The drapes would be stationary panels and most likely pinch pleat.

As far as what look I am seeking, hmm good question. I guess I am leaning towards more subtle. I was thinking of adding more drama in the adjoining dining room. That room has the same color walls (BM camaflouge) one triple window and a red oriental rug. I added some pics in case that influences anyones opinion as to what should go in the living room. The dining room is a work in progress. The table is new, the chairs are old and will be replaced at some point. I attached a pic of the buffet that will be on the wall to the right of the table, with the mirror above.

{{gwi:2137395}}

{{gwi:2137396}}

{{gwi:2137397}}

holly-kay, oaktonmom, mamorella, Tibbrix, springroz- Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. They are appreciated!

nine804- Thank you! I did a search and your panels are beautiful (as is your entire house!!).

kswl- Thank you. I love the panels you have in your dining room, they are a similar color scheme as my room.

ratherbesewing- Good point about part of the stripe being hidden in the pleat, something to consider. I have no plans to replace the furniture any time soon. I have too many other things that are higher on the priority list right now.

aktillery- Wow, great job, thank you so much! It looks pretty, I think the shine in the panels will pick up the silk flowers on the rug. I like it!

bonnieann925- Thanks, we love him, he is the best!

AnnieDeighnaugh- Good point about including red in the drapes.

kitchendetective- Good idea about adding a trim with red in it.

I looked online and I found this trim that may work, but of course would have to see in person if the colors work.

{{gwi:2137398}}

Thanks again for the responses, keep em coming :)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

If you're planning on just stationary side panels I like the idea of picking up the gold and green of the rug but not the red. Just my thoughts. Does the sample look good against the rug? I think having the drapes flow from the neutrals of the rug (gold and green) would look nice.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I think you ought to bring in the red with throw pillows and a throw. If you incorporate the red in your drapes, it will be very expensive to change your .color scheme in the future if you ever get tired of red as an accent. I think bold accent colors should be added as 'accessories', not the big ticket items.