Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacers_gw

RH Cappuccino in entry, stairway and loft??

kacers
16 years ago

I have a 2 story entry with a staircase leading up to a great room with vaulted ceilings and staircase that overlooks the entry. We have white trim, light oak flooring in entry, light oak staircase with white spindels and taupe carpet.

I'm considering painting this entire area RH Cappuccino. Thoughts? I don't want anything too dark or anything that appears gold or yellow. We have a lot of nickel accessories and fixtures. The furniture in the great room is black.

Connie

Comments (17)

• kalinka_2007
    16 years ago

Connie
    I have RH cappuccino in my office and a hallway. It is not too dark, it is a beautiful color imo. The undertones are more green than gold or yellow in bright light. I like it more with reveal light bulbs than with incandescent bulbs. Either way i find the color to be rich and very pleasant and its pretty neutral, i have not found an accent color that it does not like :) I have used the velvet finish in my office and then had BM match it in their washable flat, I prefer the velvet RH finish. It has a very light sheen, somewhere between flat and eggshell.

I like it enough that I want to use it in my bedroom but still have not decided. You can get one of the little tiny cans for 4 bucks and play with it. I loved it the moment it hit the wall.

Kalinka

• kacers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Kalinka.

By any chance do you have pictures of your office/hallway?

Connie

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

If it's Cappuccino pictures you want, I'm your gal. I have it in 75% of my house and love it! It's a great neutral but feels very sophisticated and not boring. Kalinka is correct that the undertones are green. In fact, many of my photos of the paint look green on the monitor. Here's a few shots and if you want more, you can click on my name and check out my house album. It's also in my Master Bedroom, Bath, Guest Room, Office and Bonus Room.

Entrance (that's RH Flax paint in the Dining Room)

Great Room (still working on furniture)

Stairway

• kalinka_2007
    16 years ago

Lindybarts is right the photos do have a greenish look but I would say that in my home the cappuccino looks very similar to the color in her hallway (the first photo). I have less light so it reads closer to the flax color.

I think that she just inspired me to use it in some other room. I just love this color.

• kacers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The green comments are scaring me. How do you think the cappuccino would look with the light oak and satin nickel? I love the way it looks with black. I guess I'm looking for a neutral taupe color that looks good with nickel, light oak and black.

Connie

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

You know I think it's daisyadair that has Cappuccino and some lighter wood. Maybe it's oak? Not sure? If she doesn't chime in, I believe she posted a photo on the entry/hallway thread. I think it would still look nice. I would think with a two story foyer, your lighting will be really good and you won't see as much green. I only see it when the lights are very low at night.

My only fear for you is your taupe carpet. Do you have a photo? Some taupes have alot of pink it them. Does yours read more tan than pink?

• kalinka_2007
    16 years ago

Connie
    I have light oak floors that are stripped down to their natural color with a clear matt finish and it looks beautiful. I have not seen a wood tone that does not look good with it.

I think that the easiest way to try it is to get the little 3 dollar can and try it.

• mildredpots
    16 years ago

I LOVE cappuccino in these pictures, but it was too dark in my house. Ended up using Latte instead.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

I have Capppuccino in my entry, dining room, and up the stairs. I am still Absolutely in love with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining room, etc

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Here's a link to a big pic that shows the color better.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• clubcracker
    16 years ago

Ooh, I really like this color! So pretty. I love the Flax too.

If you're worried about green, perhaps consider BM Stone House or the shade darker on the chip - very neutral taupe. I have it in my foyer and hall where there is not a lot of natural light and it's nice and warm, not too dark, but rich.

Mary

• snvanvl
    16 years ago

Ok, I love this color and want to put it on my color list.

I know this is a dumb question but what does the "RH" stand for? I know it is the brand but I have no idea what brand it is.lol

Christy

• patches_02
    16 years ago

Love this color but RH is not available in my area,
    what can i use as a substitution?

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

RH stands for Restoration Hardware. If you don't have one in your area, you can order a sample can online or possibly ask them to send you a chip. You can match this in any other brand paint with the sample or chip. My painter prefers Rodda paint (a local company) and he had the shop match all my RH colors perfectly. I used the Cappuccino and Flax and did all my ceilings (except for kids rooms) in Latte.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Paint Colors

• kacers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for your replies and the pictures! Your homes are beautiful! I stress so much over paint colors but especially this one since there will be so much of it. It also will be very costly to change with the 2 story entry and vaults. I need to get it right the first time.

We have Lowes Ivory Brown in our kitchen, breakfast area and hearth room which I really like but I want something a little lighter for this area.

Connie

• kalinka_2007
    16 years ago

I would go on line and order the little $3. sample pot. I had BM match the cappuccino for my hallway because the local RH was out of it. That was the one color he did not have in his computer. It took him quite a bit of time tweaking it from the stuff i had left over from my office but eventually he got it. The initial match that the computer did was not even close so he played with it until we pretty much got a perfect match.

The one thing he could not match was the subtle velvet finish which is why i normally just use the RH paint.
    Wow.. I just checked and the subtle velvet cappuccino is STILL on back order. I have not been able to get a can of that since before Christmas.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Yes, if I remember correctly, that paint went on back order a few days after lindybarts started posting her pics.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional