Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Lamps that don't clash with Mission?

User
9 years ago

I have this Thomasville Impressions bedroom furniture: bedside tables, armoire, 9-drawer dresser and spindle headboard (last 2 not pictured; those pictured are not mine). I do not want to use Mission lamps, but cannot find any that seem to be compatible with the furniture. Any suggestions for style of bedside and dresser lamps? No colonial, early American, please.

Comments (14)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Mission style lamps: Square post bronze (or wood was done, too) bases with art glass or tapered square fabric shades, or vase shaped copper lamps (smooth or hammered copper) with art glass, Mica or broadly tapered cylindrical fabric shades.

Or ceramic lamp bases with a matte glaze in shapes that look like Mission period pottery.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I love mission style, and have a few pieces but haven't wanted to overdo it in my non-bungalow house! So I have some experience in lamp searches.

This one -- or have a look at some of the other Haeger lamps -- maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Or Hubbardton Forge, if your budget allows!

Here is a link that might be useful: HF lamps

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Or something like this?

Two other brands to look at: Quoizel and Uttermost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another lamp

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pal - I like the idea of copper lamps, perhaps with fabric shades.

sueb - Exactly - need to lighten up the "Mission mass." However, I also don't want to discard this furniture in favor of spending significant $$ to replace its quality. I like the Haeger lamps a lot for the bedside tables.

Any suggestions for complementary lamps or should all 4 lamps match (thinking no since the furniture all matches)?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The Haeger lamps are great, I think they are compatible.

I would not match all the lamps and I would vary materials. I would probably match the pair of lamps on the nightstands and then mix the others.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Ceramic base and glass base lamps will work, as will bronze base lamps.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

I agree with Beverly -- glass and ceramic. They're simple, won't take away from the furniture, but will lighten things up a bit. I've got a Mission A&C table as a night stand in my guest room, with a bed that is Spanishy dark wood, and a big dark wood Spanish/Mexican armoire. I just picked up a lamp similar to those in Beverly's last pic for use on that table and it seems to work well.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beverly - You always find nice lamps!

jakabedy - I agree...glass and ceramic.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I would combine ceramic lamps with some kind of metal lamps, probably bronze or iron.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How would plain old ginger jar lamps on the dresser work with these lamps bedside?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or...after many hours searching, these were the only lamps with art glass shades in the right price range that I didn't dislike...

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I think ginger jar lamps would look great. And I like the wall-mounted beside lamps you posted. That will be a nice mix.

These PB lamps might look nice--

Here is a link that might be useful: pb lamps

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jlc712 - They are nice! Thanks!