Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betmust

Hanging decorative plates

betmust
13 years ago

I am new here and love the ideas i have seen here. I recently decided I love the look of hanging decorative plates. Now my questions are - Where does everyone find them? and how do you hang them? A few I have seen do not have anything on the back to hang them and I am not quite sure what to do with them.

Any help?

Thank you

Comments (27)

• peaches12345
    13 years ago

Use whatever plates you have that you would like on the wall or shop for some attractive decorated plates that would go with your decor. I happen to have a set of Audubon bird luncheon plates that I hang. The hangers for plates can be purchased at stores such as JoAnn's, Michael's, etc. Get them in the correct size for the size of the plates you wish to hang.

• inspiredisabel
    13 years ago

Hi there! I am new here as well and already have found do much help. I hope you do too.

If you have a Home Goods, TJ Maxx or Marshalls nearby that is the very first place I would go for beautiful and inexpensive plates.

As far as hanging them they have those command strip things which do work really well. Just make sure to get the appropriate size. But they also sell a little springy clip thing that you can nail into the wall. You can probably find that in the hardware section.

HTH! good luck!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

My favorite plates are Spode's Blue Room series. I must have two dozen of these around the house. I love the florals.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I don't know where you get the plate hangers, as I've never looked for them, but I would avoid the command hooks for anything breakable. I had a small ceramic plaque that I had to use them on because its hanging hook had not been installed correctly (darn cheap thing from Kohl's). I used the correct size, probably even went a size larger, but still, after less then a year they came loose from the wall and the plaque broke on the tile floor. Not only that, it pulled the paint and the paper layer of the drywall off.

Totally Confused

• biochem101
    13 years ago

I haven't bought plate hangers in a long time, and am thinking of doing a plate wall also.

Does everyone still use the wire hangers with springs that clamp over the edges of the plates? I can't see the little wire tips in photos online and wondered if there was a better way (nothing showing in front)?

• rockmanor
    13 years ago

I think it was Hobby Lobby where I found some different plate hangers that consist of a small brass ring attached to an adhesive (heavy) paper disc. The adhesive is water activated and holds very well. Being cautious, I did buy a size larger/stronger than the instructions said was required. I like not seeing the holder.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I would never do anything adhesive...I think the humidity would eventually get to it and either rip the wall or drop the plate.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I have the old fashioned hangers - cause they are cheap and the plates are hung well above head high and so the hangers are hard to see. and the transferware plates came from Homegoods. I also have some for hanging that I found at GW- my fav place to shop.

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I have found plate hangers (those metal ones) at Walmart in the section where they have kitchen gadgets. Marshall's is where I have had good luck finding pretty plates.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I found my plates at a little shop in a Danish community in northern California called Solvang. They already had hanger things solidly glued onto the backs.

I've bookmarked a site that has a lot of nice hanging options (see link below). Here are a couple pics of things they have. They also sell the wire ones with the springs in a few varieties. I've not bought from this site, but maybe someone else has and could tell you more about if the company is reliable, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Home Displays

• bonniee818
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Cooperbailey!

• msrose
    13 years ago

I just recently bought my first collection of display plates and I got them from ebay and decorativedishes.net. I also found the hangers at Walmart. I've seen several sizes of plate hangers on the internet, but Walmart only had the one and they're pretty tight fitting on my plates, so I hope they don't break.

Laurie

• rosie
    13 years ago

Except for a couple of my most expensive antique plates, I like to superglue hanging wire to the backs, a drop at each end holds the wire on and could be dremmeled off easily enough if needed. I also have a few of the "springy things."

• decordummy_gw
    13 years ago

I am almost ashamed to post this pic (neither the pic nor my kitchen is very nice) but here goes...
    {{gwi:1548604}}
    I bought these at flea markets, thrift shops, etc. in different cities. Each one is a special memory of where I was or who I was with, etc. Each one has a different scene but they are all the same colours (different makers but all made in England). I have a few that have not made it to the wall yet. I use the wire hangers (springs that clamp over the edges of the plates). I like the white hangers better than the gold ones.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Try to think outside the box too...
    This is not my picture but I like it. The layering is in right now.

{{gwi:1548605}}

• sis2two
    13 years ago

Decor dummy--I love your plates ! Are they transfer ware? I have just recently started collected transfer ware and I love seeing yours. Didn't mean to hijack this post.

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

I'll just add that you should also check ebay for decorative plates. I have some lovely Boehm plates in my dining room that I got on ebay. I also got these on ebay for a wall in the guest bath. (May take time to collect the plates you want on ebay but if you take your time you can get some lovely plates at a very good price.)

• decordummy_gw
    13 years ago

Sis2two, let's hope that Betmust thinks we're 'contributing', not 'hijacking' ;-)
    I have been calling my plates 'transferware' so if they are not, maybe someone here can tell us what they are (Enoch Wedgewood, Meakin, Myott, Empire, etc.).

Whitdobe, those Boehm are gorgeous!

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

Those aren't the Boehm plates, they're Hutschenreuther. I don't happen to have a good photo of the Bohem plates.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Bumblebeez, you should post a pic of your plate rack!!!

Cooperbailey, love your kitchen. Pretty cabinets and wonderful wallcolor. Pretty plates too!

• decordummy_gw
    13 years ago

My apologies Whitdobe. To be honest I had never heard either term before, but whatever they are - they're beauties.

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

Thanks and no need to appologize decordummy! I hadn't heard of either plate manufacturer either before I started just searching through "decorative plates" on ebay. I looked through many hundreds of plates and got a feel for some makers I liked. That's how I found both.

• Cella
    13 years ago

Martha Stewart shows how to make your own custom-fitting hangers: http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/wire-plate-hangers

Plan on using the disc hangers linked below. I used to have a bunch of the classic wire hangers and never really liked them.

Here is a bloggers post about hanging plates:
    http://blissfullydomestic.com/2008/hanging-plates-as-art

and another bloggers post:
    http://downandoutchic.blogspot.com/2009/04/plate-wall.html

from goldschool.typepad.com:

and last, but my favorite that I plan on copying. From "Stalking the Wheats" by Joni at her Cote de Texas blog:

Here is a link that might be useful: Disc Hangers

• inspiredisabel
    13 years ago

Very cool pictures Cella! And thanks for the link! I haven't hung any plates in my home yet but don't really like the wire hangers either. Like those disc ones though!

• Cella
    13 years ago

Your welcome. Oh and I meant "I" plan on using the disc hangers! Haha - I wasn't ordering you to do something...

• betmust
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sorry I have not gotten back on here - computer issues.
    Thank you everyone for all the great pictures and ideas.
    cooperbailey, I love your picture. My kitchen has a space over my cabinets similiar to what is over your window. That is where I would love to put some plates. I am so excited now to start my search.
    I did not think anyone was "hijacking" this thread - all information is very much appreciated...

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

thanks. I think those black transferware plates were $3.00 each. the hangers were about $2 each or less? at HD. I don't think plates need to be valuable to be displayed, just loved.