Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Jockewing & Other Gray Lovers - Pics inc...

ttodd
15 years ago

Hope I spelled Jockewing correctly!

I was thumbing through a back issue of Cottage Living (March 2008) and came across the cottage home of Chaffee Braithwaite (daughter of designer Nancy Braithwaite). She used all grays and I thought that it gave some good gray recommendations as well as color descriptions. When I couldn't locate the article on-line I took some pics of the MBR & bath for you all as well as the color recs.

Enjoy - hope it helps someone in the eternal quest for the right gray!

The article stated that 'Nancy turns again and again to these shades all by Benjamin Moore', I got the sample colors from Myperfectcolor.com:

Revere Pewter 'It's a taupey gary that I use all of the time':

Wickham Gray 'This one has a bit of yellow':

Whitestone 'I like that it has touches of blue':

Cement Gray 'Warm tones of pink make this color really beautiful':

For those who want to know ~ the bedroom walls are Rubidoux and trim is Zephyr Hills by Pratt and Lambert:

Rubidoux:

Zephyr Hills:

Bathroom trim is Glacier Sand also by PL and floor and wall tiles are from Renaissance Tile and Bath 404-231-9203 and www.renaissancetileandbath.com.

Glacier Sand:

Luscious ain't it?

Comments (26)

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Love the gray's. The first picture reminds me of RH Graphite.

RH Graphite in Guest BR which is a project in motion. Walls are BM White Dove. Picture is not great. Lighting is not cooperating.

• frenchdressing
    15 years ago

Wow fantastic photos, great grey colors too.
    I am in the process of painting our bathroom grey.
    Here is the peek part of the wall and the small armoire I painted

to see more follow the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Grey bathroom

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Your bathroom looks gorgeous, Frenchdressing. Can't wait to see the entire room. I've changed my mind on the chandelier after seeing everything in the room - yes, paint it using a similar technique so it looks flakey.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

ttodd, what a great resource. Thanks for taking the time. The "my perfect color" renderings are SO off, acc. to my monitor, but it's good to have the names.

And jerseygirl, I like the pic I see so far :)

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

both the gray rooms look great!
    French dressing, I'm glad you chose a gray for your beautiful bath. Will you please share how you are washing all the various colors on the wall? Do you wash from lightest to darkest, do you let colors dry in between washing another color, so sortof layering them? Sorry if washing is a basic skill. I'm hoping you won't mind a brief description, as it sounds (and looks) fabulous! I can't wait to see your entire bath done. :o)

• frenchdressing
    15 years ago

First I use a primare. Then layer dark to light and rub it out each time. Sometimes I let it dry, most the time not.
    There is no method to my madness. It is hit and alot of miss. I re did the wall yesterday as I wasn't pleased with the results. Live and learn.
    I will post the colors I used when the the project is finished. Thanks.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pictures ttodd. Inspirational. I asked about your blue gray in another post and was wondering if you're still happy with it - any thoughts on it? I've just got the miniscule chit and sometimes it looks very gray and other times I really see the blue. I want something that is going to look like a toned down greeny blue. Is there any green in it or just blue gray?

fd, your pics are beautiful and thanks for the technique.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Budge! I haven't use FB French Gray (is that the color you were asking about?) Allison has used it in her awesome home!

• budge1
    15 years ago

Not to worry ttodd. I thought I had read in another post that you had blue gray colour matched in another brand for one of your front rooms, but it must have been someone else.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

frenchdressing: don't know if this would be helpful to you --- but this company in CA makes paint that would give your walls that washed softness & depth.

Here is a link that might be useful: portola paint

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

frenchdressing~ thanks for sharing your technique. I can't wait to see your finished bath. :o)

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Oh ttodd, what a great thread, and a wonderful resource! THANK YOU for posting all that. How awesome!

I'm clipping your original post now! ;o)

• whistles
    15 years ago

I recently painted my den BM Harbor Gray with white trim. After 12 samples of gray paint, painted on poster boards this color fit my needs...a gray color without hues of red or blue or green. Very neutral. It also works great in sunlight and late afternoon shade.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're welcome! Whistles, we'd love to se a pic of the room!

• simpletaste
    15 years ago

Those images and the gray taupes are fantastic.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

This is a beautiful thread and Frenchdressings bath is really unique!

Red

Anyone tried any of the Farrow & Ball Greys? I am looking at French Grey but afraid it may be too soft in my more deeply-colored home. The Light Grey looks good. I just splotched London Stone and like it, but DD thinks it's bland. In this thread, if that top bath in the photo is Revere Pewter, I think that's the color I next want to try.

• simpletaste
    15 years ago

Grey stands out with white. I like when it has warm undertones to it.

• buckeye.mary
    15 years ago

ttodd - Do you know what paint color the bedroom walls are in the first magazine photo you posted?

I wish I still had that Cottage Living issue (and that CL was still be published!) It's pretty inspiration for my powder room re-do.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting ttod - I've been looking for a warm gray for my bathroom and this gives me a place to start looking.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Beautiful pictures!! Frenchdressing, your bathroom is stunning!

We're using gray as the basic neutral in our new house. We chose SW Evening Shadow for the basic gray and Wall Street for the accent wall that will set off the gray stone fireplace. The charcoal wall is done, ready for the masons to start the fireplace today, and the tinted primer coat is on the rest of the walls -- it matches the Evening Shadow chip exactly, so it gives a good idea of the finished room.

We went in on Saturday to look -- a cold, gray, drizzly day -- and I almost panicked. IT'S SOOOO cold and gray!! I know that when the white trim is painted, and our furniture and very bright contemporary art work is in place, there will be color and warmth, but boy, was Saturday the wrong time to look!!

I needed to see pictures of finished rooms. Thanks!!

Arlene

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Red! The bathroom: Bathroom trim is Glacier Sand also by PL and floor and wall tiles are from Renaissance Tile and Bath 404-231-9203 and www.renaissancetileandbath.com.

I love, love, love, love, love that bathroom! Even though it's all clad in tile it still looks warm. And crisp and fresh at the same time. It's the perfect balance.

Buckeye.mary - the bedroom walls are Rubidoux and trim is Zephyr Hills by Pratt and Lambert.

Hostagram - I think it's really hard to pick grey. It seems to either go too blue or too cold really fast. That's one of the reasons that I like to pair it w/ a warm white trim almost cream.

• simpletaste
    15 years ago

PPairing gray with white or cream, it is beautiful. I love the examples you showed us ttodd

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Ttodd: You're absolutely right, and I've wrestled long and hard with this issue of warm vs. cool grey. I finally chose to go with blue undertones because the adjoining almost-open dining room is a a deep greyed blue (SW Distance) and the kitchen counter will be Eclipse Blue, the cabinets white with grey glaze. The cool blue greys looked much better with the cabinets. Our art work is all very contemporary with clear, crisp colors with a lot of black and real white rather than cream. Also, we're in Nashville, where more of the year is hot rather than cold. We'll also brighten things up with a yellow sunroom off the gray.

That was my thinking. I find choosing paint colors the most challenging part of building a house!!

Arlene

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I just caught this answer to the first pictured bedroom color, rubidoux by P&L. Found P&L paint in my local Orchard Supply Hardware (California) store today. It's new and they have sample jars too. I'm going back tomorrow and see if I can find that chip. I may not need it now, (wish I'd had it last month!) but I may want it for later. I have a room..........

Red

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Red! Do you still love the Dried Sage? What are you thinking about w/ the Rubidoux?

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Ttodd, the Dry Sage is everything that is beautiful, sets off dark wood, a black-patterned runner, and leads into Baby Turtle. A beauteous grey might have been enjoyable, but I do love the DS. However, the trademark Red kitchen is showing it's age, the hall bath, painted in a terra cotta (Tapestry by Ralph Lauren) is getting a bit much, and the DD whose bath it is is 22 now. She may be up for a change, maybe even a change of address.
    One must be prepared.

Red