Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Photobucket warning

amysrq
15 years ago

Twice this morning, while using photobucket, I was hit with what I think was called a Malvertisement. A supposed anti-spyware scan started and I had to kill the computer. DH (tech geek) saw it the second time, so I have credible corroboration!

A quick Google indicates this has happened with photobucket in the past. Given that so many of us use it to share pics, I thought I should let you know.

Comments (13)

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

What did your DH geek suggest to do? just kill the computer and reboot?

• kswl2
    15 years ago

Amy, I became concerned about photobucket for the same reason several months ago and switched to smugmug for my online photo storage. I have a paid account at photobucket and STILL got malware from it. I would avoid that site at all costs.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Thanks - I'll do a scan right now!

• amysrq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kswl, I remember having trouble getting to see your pics on smugmug... (Remember me begging and whining?! ;-)) Was I the only person who had trouble getting in?

I am also wondering about transferring all my photos from PB to a new site. I would want to wait for it to be safe to go back in and grab several years worth of pics. What a PITA...

There's talk of this on the Kitchens board, too. And here's a link from PC World magazine, just in case anyone gets infected.

Here is a link that might be useful: article on removal

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

Thanks for the warning.
    I used it this morning and had no problems.
    I'm in the process of moving my pics to another service anyway.

I use Picasa which is wonderful.
    It's one of Google's services.
    I'm a Google fangirl and I've never had a problem with any of their services - I use a lot of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

So.....
    I decided to go back to PB and my Anti Virus software - AVG - detected and infected file on the site.
    Seems they've been hacked which has happened before.
    Definitely a smart move to move your pics to another service.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I have a Mac and haven't had any problems. Can you ask your DH is Mac's avoid the problem? I have SO many pictures on Photobucket.

Anyone use Shutterfly? I've had photos on there for a long time, but they've changed the site. Harder to arrange photos, etc. Don't like the changes they made last year at all!

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

It's probably a browser issue.
    I get no warning with Firefox but get a warning with IE7 which is renowned for security flaws.
    Still like IE7 better - darn.

• Robbi D.
    15 years ago

Thank you for the warning. I haven't used it in a while, but have started again lately. Also that you guys for the recommendations on other sites to use.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

What if you just click on someone else's pictures? I don't have an account with Photobucket but have clicked on links here to see other's photos.

• amysrq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi again everyone. Cooper, sorry I didn't answer your question....DH said to just push the button to turn off the computer asap. No clicking through to shut down.

Allison, macs are supposed to be less subject to viruses since the jerks who write them don't target macs. I confirmed this with DD....she is a mac-ista.

Linnea, the first time it happened to me, I was looking at someone else's pics....RMKitchen's, in fact.

My DH has been trying to get me to switch over to Picassa for a long time now. But I am loathe to learn new computer tricks. It would probably do me good, keep the neurons firing, stave off dementia and all that.

We ran a scan and did some additional digging around on this one. It looks like the Malvertisement will not damage the computer so much as annoy the carp out of you with advertisements for their anti-spy programs. I haven't seen any come up, so I guess I escaped unscathed.

For more info on the fix, you can read this PC World article. We followed their directions to see if we could find the bug.

Here is a link that might be useful: article on removal

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

I was trying to upload a pic to Photobucket yesterday when the "attack" occurred. It wants to install a program on your computer that will get rid of a supposedly massive number of viruses on your computer. And there is a fake image of Windows Security Center that is very real until you realize you can't scroll in the window.

Don't click on anything, and close your browser.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

If you know how to type the HTML to get your photos to show up (and I imagine that most have been here long enough to know how to type img src with around it), just use Flickr. It's such a nice site in that you can make "sets", which work like albums, but they you can group sets into collections.

You can set a photo, set, or collection to private or "friends/family only", too.

I still have photos on photobucket (on a Mac, a lot of problems that show up for you just aren't there for me), but I use Flickr for all my pictures and I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr