Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artydecor

Can this chair be saved?

artydecor
10 years ago

I was happy to find a Whittemore- Sherrill leather chair and ottoman set heavily discounted- a real steal. Got it home and found it is impossible to sit this chair for any length of time. The back cushions seem to want to push you out, the seat is angled strangely, and if you fight back by pushing against the ottoman, it rolls away from you. Sitting in this chair could be and Olympic event. Dh and I decided to return it, but I'm wondering if an upholsterer could fix the cushions and save it. What has been your experience?

Comments (13)

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I have the chair and ottoman linked below. They were awful when I first bought them! It was like I was going to slide out all the time. I was unable/unwilling to return them. They were in our second home and got little to no wear for 4 years. When we finally moved into the house full-time and sat in the chair a lot, it got better but it still isn't great. When we move into the new house, it will go into a guest room. It will be fine as a place to sit while putting on socks!

If you can return it, I would advise you to do so. I'm afraid having an upholsterer work on it is throwing good money after bad. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is almost like that, but has an upper and lower back cushion. We paid only $178 for the set, so if re-stuffing would be a guaranteed fix, I'd go for it. Otherwise, back it goes. Sherrill quality is praised so highly on the web.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

HOLY COW! You paid about 10% of what I paid, and I thought I had gotten a deal!

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since no one wants to sit on it, we paid too much. Trying it out in the store wasn't the same as trying to settle in with a book.
    Your set is beautiful, at least.
    Here's the one we have.

Here is a link that might be useful: looks so innocent

• bbstx
    10 years ago

sm, can you find a zipper in the back pillows? If so, can you take some of the stuffing out? Maybe fold a towel and put it under the bottom cushion toward the front of the chair? Then try it out and see how it feels. If that works, perhaps an upholster could make similar permanent modifications.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GREAT idea! Yes, there are zippers, and the cushions can be removed. I'm going to play around later.
    Would improving it be a matter of trial and error, or there basic, -this is how a body in a chair is supported type- principles to follow? Anyone?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Just from the pic you posted, it seems overstuffed at the back of the seat cushion (or understuffed at the front) and also overstuffed at the lumbar support cushion. Both those things will conspire to tip you out of the chair

Here are some pictures of chairs that ergonomically would do a better job of keeping you in the chair or 'cradling' you better - these are all very different than your chair, but just to show the general principle:

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I wouldn't try to save something so uncomfortable if you still have the chance to return it. Seems they were giving it away for good reason.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 18:15

• lascatx
    10 years ago

The seat might be okay depending on the loft and give of the material filling the cushion, but the back definitely seems to be overstuffed. If the chair back behind those cushions isn't tilted at a similar angle, I would think reducing the filling in those two back cushions (especially the lower/lumbar one) should help. The covers might need to be reduced in order to not look deflated or old and worn. If you can't test the idea, I'd return the chair.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think this may work!
    Thanks, bbstx, for reminding me to look for zippers! For some reason, I thought the fixed cushions would be stitched closed.
    When I removed the cushions, they were of course compressed and huge, but I can, if needs be, take out some material and put them back.
    DH and I are experimenting to find the perfect amount of back cushioning for him. I may also try adding a bit to the front of the seat cushion.
    If we decide to keep it, I'll also replace the casters on the ottoman with feet.
    We have so little invested in the set, it seems worthwhile to at least try some modifications.
    Thanks to robotropolis and lascatx for analyzing my picture to find the chair's design flaws.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Remember to save whatever stuffing you remove. In time, you may need to re-fluff the cushions.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last night I took the two back seat inserts out, and tried it with just a loose back cushion. It was wonderfully comfortable, and it was clear that the seat was OK, the two back cushions were the problem. I opened up a seam in the inserts and removed two large bags of loose fill. You can sit in it now without the slipping off feeling. An upholsterer might have wanted to reduce the leather covers, but they really look all right. I kept the extra stuffing in case it ever needs to be refreshed.
    Next I have to figure out how to remove the casters from the ottoman so I can replace them with feet.
    I thought it was worth an update, since occasionally I read about someone who can't return a new chair and is unhappy with how it sits. If I hadn't paid a relative pittance for this chair, I wouldn't have been as likely to fiddle around and try to change it.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Great job saving your bargain chair!