Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Large Basket - Antique, Vintage or New? Value? (photos)

I picked up this basket at a thrift store for such a ridiculously low price, it would be embarrassing to post it. The basket is HUGE - almost two feet across - and I just love it. Last night I spent some time searching the internet trying to learn something about it, but I couldn't find anything. (Please see photos below).

Like I said, the basket is very large, 22 inches in length. The handle is thick, solid wood. The basket is in excellent shape. Does anyone know anything about appraising or valuing a basket? Is it old? Or something recent/new out of World Market or a similar store? Does it have any significant value?

How would you use it to decorate? It does have a flat surface on the bottom, but that "sweet spot" is not very large and if contents are not well-balanced, the basket tends to roll. I thought about putting a two large houseplants inside and putting the basket either in my entryway or on the fireplace hearth. It isn't the right shape/balance to hold magazines or reading material. It could hold extra rolled towels in the bathroom. What would you do with it?

Thanks for information and suggestions!

Carol

How the handle attaches inside:

Another photo of how the handle attaches on the inside:

A third photo of how the handle attaches on the inside:

How the handle attachment appears on the outside:

Comments (20)

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

I don't possibly see how you could have any use for it! It's much too large to be practical. But I'll do you a big favor and take it off your hands, you could just send it to me.

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

I am a basket freak and would have grabbed that up myself, no matter what the price, if I'd seen it in a consignment shop. What a find! Once I get a basket, though, sometimes I'm not sure what to put in them. Uses for mine, potted plants, decorative throw storage, storage for dog's toys, magazine storage, rolled towel storage, and a collection of daughter's stuffed animals and dolls in the bedroom. Those are just a few ideas, I'm curious to see what our GW friends will suggest for you.

Great find!!! I'm envious....

• User
    12 years ago

Don't know anything about it but I will say that the plants will probably ruin it. I know from experience that no matter how careful you are the moisture will get out and onto the wicker and it will darken . I would use it for towels or something in a completely dry setting. Very cool basket. c

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

I love it. I'd use it for towels/extra blankets in guest room, toys/stuffed animals in a kids' room or LR, seasonal books that you display depending on the time of year, dried flower / found object arrangements...the list goes on!

• allison0704
    12 years ago

It's very similar to this basket from Wisteria, which is from China - not a bad thing, in this case! lol

{{gwi:1548263}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria basket

• teacats
    12 years ago

Gorgeous basket! :)

Yes -- fill it with cozy throws and pillows in the living areas; fill it with books and magazines; fill it with an extra blanket for the guest room; fill it with folded or rolled towels for the bathroom.

Or fill it with a large green silk fern for instant spring/summer in a corner! :)

Or use it in the bedroom to hold extra belts or flat sandals ....

• lala girl
    12 years ago

What a find! That is gorgeous and a total steal. Happiness.

There have been some great suggestions on how to use it. I also love over sized baskets as a way to "fill" the tops of dressers without clutter - I did this with the dresser in our bedroom and it keeps me from piling stuff up there!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I purchased a basket at an antique mall with weaving similar to yours, but it's tall. It is a Chinese basket and I've seen similar baskets in several different antique stores/malls. I still paid $40 for it.

I keep mine in the guest bath closet holding toilet tissue.

Very pretty! Great buy.
    Dee

• pps7
    12 years ago

I love baskets! I have them all over the place- toys and books in the family room, mail in the office. My favorite is the one in the master bath. I use it store towels. It's quite large as well.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I bet you like old quilts too, since you were drawn to that basket, which is beautiful! I would put two quilts in it and set it on the hearth.

Or throws and pillows as was mentioned. It's too pretty to put anywhere else!

And no plants. I learned the hard way.

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

Beautiful basket! I think towels or throws would be a great idea. I agree that plants would be a bad idea.

Of course, you could always do what I do with my large but much less beautiful basket....

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Whit, that is hilarious.

How about a big bunch of dried hydrangeas?

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Great pic of Jovi! I agree with sue, it's hilarious.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Lovetheyard - Your basket is a variation of a traditional egg basket, aka buttocks basket (and if you look at the pictures you'll see why : > ) ). Mine is in my living room holding the cats' toys. The cats, of course, aren't interested in these toys; they prefer making their own.

What a great picture, Whit! Worthy of entry in a competition. He is so adorable!

Here is a link that might be useful: Whatever you call them!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

or maybe.....

Here is a link that might be useful: baby basket

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

As per usual you have great suggestions from the local talent, floral, toys, bathroom items, etc, the two others I might suggest is shoes or laundry? I have a basket by the back entry for tossing in shoes when we come in the house, its actually used for the shoes we wear out to the back yard, or take walks in, gardening shoes etc, and the grandchildren use it when they come in and out. Its in lieu of one of those boot trays which is also handy but holds less. It would make a lovely laundry basket, you could use it for gathering laundry, looks like it would hold a whole load of clothes and towels, and then delivering it, and its pretty enough to leave out in the laundry room rather than a plastic basket although not as stable since it rocks, the handle would make it easy to carry.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Well, the last listing was more exciting..but there are a couple like this, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: antique chinese basket

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

I bought this basket back in Michigan...oh, geez, 37 years ago maybe.
    I paid fourteen bucks for it at an outdoor auction with my young little girlfriends, what fun.

I picked cotton down here and put it in the basket once, very pretty.

If you knit, pretty balls of wool and knitting needles would be pretty. Please don't put leaky plants in your beautiful basket, yours looks really valuable.

.....Jane

{{gwi:1548265}}

{{gwi:1548266}}

• cattknap
    12 years ago

I love your basket - it is newer and from China - I have several - even larger than yours. I like to use them for buffets, lining the basket with a beautiful cloth and filling them with baguettes and other artisan breads - really great for a soup or Italian party.

Imagine it filled with big pumpkins and squashes and sprigs of fall leaves.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Chinese made - see the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Near-twin to your basket