Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

What kind of kitchen table for this eat in area?

akl_vdb
9 years ago

I'd like to start looking for a new kitchen table for our eat in area. I like sales and contemplating so I'm asking in advance. I love all the advice i get and definitely take it all into consideration.

So what do you think? I'm trying to be contemporary with a touch of rustic modern ( or something!) but think I'm failing miserably:).

Any advice for me? I'll take anything!

Thanks!

This post was edited by aklvdb on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 20:52

Comments (39)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another angle

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd look for an authentic oak claw foot table (set?) on your local Craigslist. They pop up all the time, are beautiful, never out of style, and come with leaves so you can expand them if necessary.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It does seem like a round or oval table would suit the space well.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I like the base on this reclaimed wood table on Overstock. It's available in a couple of finishes, but is not extendable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Not an octagonal table? It's what I thought and then scrolled down. No one said it? I sort of see it as a puzzle piece fitting in with the counters ending as they do, with the window, door, and walls completing the fit? I must be crazy!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all, I was leaning towards a round table but was wondering if I was crazy. I'll have to mock one up with cardboard and see how it looks. Thanks!
    And errant, i do like that base too, more modern than the pic I've posted. I'm in Canada so I'll have to shop around and see what i can find.

And rob333, i haven't seen many octagon tables, but I can see where you are coming from.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 14:14

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And thank you Tibbrix, you're always so helpful.

• User
    9 years ago

I think something like this would look great in that space. Rustic yet contemporary like you mentioned. I think the rectangle looks good infront of that beautiful window. And I think the color would look great with your floors

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/benchwright-dining-table/?pkey=call-dining-kitchen&;

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats cool kellya1010, I love the metal at the bottom. would help bring in some of the hardware colour. And a sisal rug on the ground and done and done :) Thank you.

• C Marlin
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put a real sisal rug under your table, get something with easy care.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I really like the set you have, and would consider recovering the seats and backs with a more appropriate fabric. I love the round tables posted above, especially paired with modern chairs!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! Honestly, i don't even know what a sisal rug is or entails, i just thought that was it. Seagrass maybe? Anyways, I was looking at my local CL equivalent, and somebody makes a PB copy of that table. But round is nice too.

• User
    9 years ago

omg i love it. looks just like the pb table. wish i had a store like that around where i live!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That PB Copy table is gorgeous. Are you getting that one?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know @kellya1010 and Tribbix, I just found it on our CL equiv in Canada here and he does custom 5,6 or 7 ft lengths. 5 might be a bit long, but if custom, I'm sure he can make it 4 and a 1/2! Apparently starting at $375. Maybe I'll email him and see what he can do! Thanks for the push!

But then I need chairs. I did this with my bed, I have this gorg bed, that I'm struggling with end tables.

So will I struggle finding chairs to go with this??

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Seagrass is what you want. Cote de Texas wrote a fairly extensive explanation of the pluses and minuses of the various types of grass rugs.

Here is the Pottery Barn seagrass rug in my breakfast room
    {{gwi:2137252}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn seagrass rug

• User
    9 years ago

I like the idea of doing benches for the sides like what PB has. They look great and push out of the way for a clean, non toe stubbing look : )
    maybe that fella can make those as well to match

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/benchwright-bench/?pkey=e%7Cbenchwright%2Bbench%2B-%2Brustic%2Bmahogany%2Bstain%7C1%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C48%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH::NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Benches

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apparently he does make benches. Then my DH says he want chairs. I'll see how this goes! And a little rug would be nice, thanks for the link bbstx

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apparently he does make benches. Then my DH says he want chairs. I'll see how this goes! And a little rug would be nice, thanks for the link bbstx

• User
    9 years ago

i'm new to this.. forgive me for asking... what does DH stand for... dumb husband lol just kidding

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear husband! (dumb works too sometimes ;) )

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Lol. I thought it was Darling Husband

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Think about an indoor outdoor rug in a sisal look, that way you can just wipe it down. Look below.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• Bunny
    9 years ago

bbstx, oh my, your table and chairs are simply gorgeous. Those chairs!!!

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I love the look of the table but how do people sit at the head/foot? I saw this table in PB and it would be impossible. Your legs hit the supports. I think it is impracticable although good looking.

I have a similar space but decided a round would work better.

Jane

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Where do you get an octagonal table? Here's one...

Here is a link that might be useful: octagon dining table from Etsy

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Looks pretty basic to make ...
    Check Ana Whites site also..
    Aklvdb~ If that guy on "CL" is not Randy
    I would worry about someone posting another mans work as his own....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.thehappierhomemaker.com/2013/04/diy-pottery-barn-inspired-dining-table/

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, forboystoo, that's interesting. Very interesting. Thanks for that.

I do have a guy that made our headboard that can do the same thing, and I know he's the real deal :) I would trust him more.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think the octagonal table has too many sharp corners for not only a smaller space but for a house with small children in it. Ouch!

Not a fan of benches. They're a pain to deal with, step over, no back for comfort and supportâ¦I'd stay with chairs.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found chairs that I think I love. DH is not convinced, but I went without him to a reno show and found these. He doesn't think they are comfy enough, but they seemed ok. And I love them. And they are reasonable. And a lot if tables would go.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

linelle, thank you. Mom and Dad bought that for me when I set up my first house after grad school.

aklvdb, I tried to talk DD into buying Tolix chairs to go with her breakfast table. She balked. One day we were at J. Crew and they had Tolix chairs setting around the store. I tried one out. I hate to tell you, your DH is right. They aren't comfortable. I felt like I was slipping out of the chair the whole time I was sitting in it. Broke my heart because I really like them.

re: DH. We have one GW member who refers to her DH as HG - Honored Guest or House Guest. I can't remember, but I can identify!

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I know glass tables are probably not popular know but I can see a round or hexagon glass table in your space. Beautiful when the sun shines on it.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But bbstx, I lurve them... We'll have to go check them out with DH in person. They look so cool and would be perfect in the space (in my head
    anyways!).

And grandmaof3, glass would look nice.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I know, I know. I didn't want it to be true either! Perhaps J. Crew has theirs altered* to keep folks from lounging about. Maybe the ones you find will be more comfortable. Let us know!

* There is a story that Abraham Lincoln had the front legs on the guest chairs in his office shortened so that they were uncomfortable to sit in for long periods. Perhaps J. Crew took a page from Lincoln's book.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I did have to take off my winter parka (it's freezing here) as I was sliding off. Then I wasn't, so I felt it to be great. Of course, I was also high on the fact that I was by myself and didn't have a complaining DH and a wild 4 year old with me. It was bliss :)

I will definitely go to the actual store and try them with DH and probably DS as well. I just better not hear any complaining about my beloved chairs :)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Speaking of the 4 year old, talk to others with small children and glass top tables before you go down that road. While I agree a glass top table would look great, I also think it would be a cleaning nightmare.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, it would be a cleaning nightmare. Not so much for the sticky hands and jam, but for the sunshine that comes through and shows every speck of dust in the house.

Also worried about head injuries , the little one runs first and asks questions later.

Glass has been fine in the vacation home my parents have, but full time a bit too much for us. But it would look gorgeous to break up the wood. Which is also why i am counting on my gorgeous metal chairs!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is kind of cute too. I think the chairs are a bit high, I don't want to block the window too much. And maybe 42 inches round is small, I still have to mock something up.

Here is a link that might be useful: table and chairs

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I have had glass tables and wood tables.....by far the grass tables are easier to clean......a spritz of window cleaner and a wipe with a paper towel. I used place mats or a cloth when eatting and had no problems with the grands hitting their heads on the glass. I guess I am in the minority with the glass table but that aside, I do think a round table would be nice for your space.