Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
porkandham

Upholstery suugestions for this chair

porkandham
9 years ago

This caned back chair came from my FIL's house, and we'd like to use it in my 8 year old son's room. The back cushion is attached with covered buttons pushed through the caning, but I'm thinking I might not use it and just go with a loose pillow instead. It doesn't have to be this pillow.The rug and furniture will remain.

I'd love some suggestions regarding upholstery.

Chair:
{{gwi:2137157}}

Chair with pillow:

{{gwi:2137158}}

Beds:

Comments (39)

• theclose
    9 years ago

I love it the way it is! Looks like velvet. I would do orange or red velvet. 100% cotton. Wears well. The room is so cute!!

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, mamorella! It is velvet. I feel like the peachy/orange is fighting the red, and somehow it doesn't say little boys' room to me.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Maybe a bold blue stripe. You don't have to add the button detail, etc., when you reupholster.

{{gwi:2137159}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabricguru

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think I would just have the bottom cushion reupholstered and do a throw pillow like the one pictured for the back....it will be less expensive too. I like the above suggestion of the blue stripe....would look good with your ship pillow. Red would also look great....a check or geometric. Love the room!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Your son has a nicer bedroom than mine. I love the colors, and esp. the rug. I would promise to take care of everything and keep the beds made. :)

What does your son want? Will he and his friends play roughshod with it, stand on the seat, turn it over to use as some obstacle course or part of a barrier into the room? Will it go with posters, etc. he puts on the wall?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Splash of green?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd do it in a navy blue like in the bedding. I think I would keep the buttons though...maybe do them in a contrast fabric like a white and with a contrast welting in the white too.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Ditto Annie D.....navy or cadet blue welter in white.

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitchendetective - Thanks for the link. I worry about putting another stripe in the room. The bedding is striped and there are stripes in the paintings above the beds.

Joaniepoanie - Thanks! Less expensive is always nice!

Linelle - Thank you! We bought the rug in Greece on our honeymoon, and it just happens to work well in this room right now. No rough play in bedrooms. They're really only used for sleeping and reading. I have to say my boys treat things pretty well.

Tibbrix - I hadn't considered green. Interestingly (or maybe not!) the chair that used to be there was a really old black chair with a very dark green leather seat. The anchors are probably a no for me. The room has a nautical feel, but I don't want it to get overly theme-y.

Annie - I worry about solid navy fighting with the dresser. I don't want it to look like I tried to match and missed the mark.

kswl - My first thought was to try to find a cadet blue velvet that worked with both the pillow and the dresser. That's still in the running.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

caning can easily become un-caned in a boys bedroom, especially after a little tugging. I would go with a loose back pillow or one that tied to the wood of the chair not the caning.

navy blue corduroy for the fabric with scotch gurard.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Doesn't need to match..just has to go.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like Lilylore's suggestion to use corduroy. I just thnk that room is already so heavy on the red, white, and blue thing.

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilylore and Tibbrix - Corduroy might be fun!

Annie - I realize it doesn't need to match. I don't want it to look like I *tried* to match and failed. I think some sort of print/texture/multi-toned fabric would be a bit more forgiving.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I don't know why but I am a sucker for tie dye. and denim....

I think some kind of pattern would be good too. Love his room. Maybe something with blue, red and lime green?

{{gwi:2137161}}

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boopadaboo - Thanks! The lime green in your second picture is fun. There's actually a hint of lime in the rug.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I thought I saw that! :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like the fabric in boop's second photo.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Ohhhh, I love the lime green suggestion! But, then again, my son's room is aqua, navy, red and lime. : )

Also love the corduroy suggestion. My aunt had her sofa upholstered in navy cord in the early 80s. She had 4 kids at home at the time. She said it wore like iron and looked great.

Lime cord, lime cord!!

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not lime corduroy, but what about this fabric? Sorry, I don't know how to imbed an image from a website on my iPad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue diamond fabric

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No one has commented on the blue fabric. Does that mean you all think it's awful?

I cut the back cushion off, and I like it so much better without! Whatever upholstery I choose will only go on the seat, and I will use the ship throw pillow because YDS likes it. I do like Annie's suggestion of doing the buttons and welting in a contrast fabric. I think it would look really crisp but would also add to the cost, and I don't need to spend a fortune on a chair in child's room!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I still wonder what your son thinks of the selections. It's his room. If he doesn't care, then get what you like and think looks good in the room. Seems you either lean boy's room or here's a chair you may think is too good for a boy's room and you can use it elsewhere where it will be more appreciated.

I have just one daughter. She was born with opinions about everything. If I were upholstering a chair for her room, she would have been given a say in the matter. If your son doesn't care, then pick something you like.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I had a chair just like that one. Bought it in the 70s. I think corduroy would be good for a boys room. Either red like the lampshade or the light blue like the stripe in the bedspreads.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I would go with a solid. Tone on tone design could be an option. I would be looking to match the small red pillows on the beds, but the rug's influence does not show in your pictures..so maybe you have more red than the pictures show off. There is a lot going on already, I do not think adding green or another new element is a good idea. The pillow on the chair is more sophisticated than the rest of the room. Do you want to upholster for the next phase in your son's life?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I bet he would love a wash denim look and what little boy does not love his jeans better than his jammies? They all love their jeans.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I think the blue/white malaga would look great! I love mixing patterns and I think it will look great with the pillow.

If you love it, go for it!

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He and I went to the fabric store today. So cute! He thinks it should be blue "because there's already enough red in the rug." He really likes the Malaga diamond and was also drawn to velvets. I forgot to take the pillow with us, so I'll have to go back if we decide we want to look at more velvets. (Most are special order, and you can't cut swatches.) We did find one, but he now thinks maybe it's "too solid" but I think he likes it. We didn't see any corduroy. I'm sure it's there, but I was trying to get in and out quickly because, well, I was with an 8 year old boy!

Picture of the swatches:
    {{gwi:2137162}}

Swatches with a bit of the rug and dresser:
    {{gwi:2137163}}

Any thoughts?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

My vote is for the fabric in the lower right corner, although any of them would look good.

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bbstx - He likes that one a lot too! I just asked him again, and it seems to be between the upper left and lower right fabrics.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I don't know why, but I think the patterned ones don't mesh with the circles in the cane. Does that make any sense. So for that reason I like the middle ones top and bottom.

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

Bottom right corner for sure. It actually is a fabric that's appropriate for the Hollywood Regency feel of the chair, too.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Upper left or middle bottom. Or a light grayed down blue wool.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

corduroy is velvet for boys.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like the upper left that you posted earlier the best but also think corduroy would be great.

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago

Pillow is great , but too big for the chair. I like the navy/white swatch closest to the pillow on the right, 2nd choice would be white/navy on the right.

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago

Pillow is great , but too big for the chair. I like the navy/white swatch closest to the pillow on the right, 2nd choice would be white/navy on the right.

• porkandham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to all who replied. We wound up going with the crushed velvet. He loved the softness! And it was on sale too!

• theclose
    9 years ago

It'll look great! Can't wait to see it finished.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

If the top row middle is the one you picked, that was my first choice as well.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

So, in the end, he chose. I think he made a great choice!

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor