Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Would You Paint This Fireplace

malhgold
14 years ago

With all the fireplace posts in the last week, I started thinking again about painting mine. We've been in our house for 16 years and I've never really liked it, but have been too chicken to paint it. Here are pics of the fireplace and the kitchen that is at the other end of this space. If you vote yes to paint, would you paint it white? I've been considering glossy black paint as well.

The dining table replaced the chairs and round table in this rendering, but I wanted you to see the space in its entirety.

Comments (40)

• blondepegasus
    14 years ago

I think glossy black would be gorgeous! It really depends on what kind of feel you are going for. Do you love contemporary (it seems to me you do judging from your kitchen and dining table) or are you more traditional? I'd say black for contemporary and white for traditional. Also, is there plenty of light in the space so that if you go black the room doesn't become a cave?

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Did you see the one that was stained instead of painted?
    It would be easy to use a black stain. Actually I have stained brick and stone tile with wood stain. The brick is like a sponge and would take very quickly. Look at some stores with paint for outside stain, clear color not solid.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

What about gray? Maybe even the gray from the kitchen cabs. That's a whole lot of black, if you were to use black, and I think it would feel out of balance with the light, airy kitchen.

I am feeling like using the same color on the walls and the brick would give you the cleanest look. Think of painted brick in a loft, not fireplace or accent wall.

Remember the first coat will be the hardest. Once you have the paint up, it will be easier to tweak the color if you need to.

I have breakfast in a cafe every week where they painted an entire brick wall using two colors. There is a lighter cream base and then they just used a slightly more saturated version of the same color on the raised parts. It is subtle, but gives the walls a bit more something.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Here's a picture of white

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    14 years ago

I don't know a lot about fireplaces but the idea of painting it black to me is not a good option. You already have a lot of black going on in the room and kitchen. Rather than painting or staining it, have you considered refacing it with another medium like tile or even wood and hiding a larger portion of the brick?

I understand the style is different, but this is just a sample of what I'm referring to:

{{gwi:1546914}}

And here is a site that had great results with what they did as well.

http://www.brick-anew.com/articles/fireplace-decorating.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Another idea.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

What a beautiful home you have! I'm in the don't paint it camp because I really like the color of the brick. You have a lot of cool finishes and it really warms up the space. However, you have alot of brick. I would consider a painted surround and mantel to break up the brick. Is that a chalkboard above the fireplace?

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Are those photos recent? Are the walls still white after 16 years? I see color chips by the stove like you are considering adding color and a back splash to the kitchen area. I do love the white kitchen.

White might contrast too much with the flooring and furniture and white would bring out the whiteness of the trim too. too much sharp contrast.

I would do a stain for the FP. Paint can look "heavy" and you need a light feel for the brick wall. You idea of using black is great for the style of your home. Changing the brick is going to be a 'forever' thing but since you have lived with the FP the way is is for 16 years and you still don't like it I say "Go for it!" and stain it black.

• awm03
    14 years ago

I like to paint brick the same color as the wall, but one sheen level higher. It makes the brick blend in with the room, but there is still a textural difference so that the brick still works as a feature.

• clg7067
    14 years ago

Oo. Do a smallish surround out of stone slabs or tile, then panel the rest of the wall in some beautiful wood (or drywall). Now that I need a photo, I can't find anything to illustrate what I mean. :(

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

No don't paint that brick wall. I would paint the room in a color that highlight the brick wall and make it a feature. Embrace it instead of fighting it -- I think the brick wall gives your room character.

You can also give a light wash of color (glazing) to lighten up the brick but I would paint the walls first.

Some pictures to illustrate what I meant.

{{gwi:1546915}}

{{gwi:1546916}}

{{gwi:1546917}}

{{gwi:1546918}}

{{gwi:1546919}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I love your home and the brick wall in my opinion adds to it's gorgeousness. I tend to agree with lukkiirish if you are going to do anything I'd cover it so in the future it could be brought back to it's loveliness.
    It looks as though the hearth is deep enough that you could add cabinets on either side with a big bold mantel between them. If you wanted open shelving instead of closed cabinets you could back them and paint that to hide more of the brick.
    I really think the brick is an awesome backdrop for your modern dining table and chairs. Which I love by the way. Personally I don't think they'd look near as awesome with black brick behind them. I think I'd make the built-ins in a combination of black and the lighter orange/gold wood and harlequin of the chair backs. Glass door with brushed nickel hardware would be awesome too.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I have to admit, those pics Bella posted are amazing. But, I do wonder about context.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those brick walls in the loft pics are what have kept me from painting my fireplace all these years. I keep thinking the brick adds some warmth and texture. I wonder if I filled in the grey grout with a creamier grout I might like it better. Not even sure if that's possible to do.

Yes, that is a chalkboard on the fireplace and I'm not liking it either. We just put it up there because we took it from another room, but I think i'll be taking it down ASAP.

I'm not really interested in built ins. I don't need the extra storage or display space. I've been trying to avoid putting drywall up or a different tile, because I do like that whole "loft look"...but I live in a center hall colonial!!

I guess I need to look for some artwork. Any suggestions??

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention that I love your chairs!

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

I say don't touch the brick; I like it as is and don't care for ones that are painted. To me they look old, but that's me.

You have 4 planters there, all the same size with all the same size plants. For starters, I'd replace the one on the far left with something tall. Then I'd for a piece over the fireplace that pulls in all the colors of your dining table and chairs. Art.com has a bunch of different tapestries that have your colors, just not sure what you art preferences are.

Other than a tapestry, any piece of art pulling in those colors framed in black would be nice, IMO, instead of the chalkboard. The piece below has all your colors, but not necessarily the right style, but just to give you and idea of whats out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com tapestry

• User
    14 years ago

I normally am all for painting brick but I actually really like yours.

I adore those chairs!

• my3babypeaches
    14 years ago

I would not. How about building a mantel around it?

• ctlane
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen and the brick wall too. I agree some artwork instead of the chaulkboard and you are done.

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

I have brick in my kitchen and I think that your color balances it off as it is now. It is not too red and is REAL. And regarding the black...well, let me just say this instead.(LOL I knew if I said it the way I wanted to it would be misinterpreted) Instead I will say: It is a one way street there and it would be difficult to make any changes once you paint it black. If you are that tired of it though, maybe a whitewash in a greyish color would brighten it up and compliment the whole area? Love your kitchen too!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

If you really dislike it, and have all along, I would paint it and allow it to act as texture. I would consider the wall color, or the grey color of the wall of cabinets. I am afraid black would be a big black void opposite the kitchen.

I would not put a mantle or any additional architectural feature on it because it would work against the spareness of your kitchen,--even in natural brick there is at least that relationship.

If money were no object I would clad it in the same marble as the island. Flat, spare and simple.

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

Years ago we painted our brick fireplace light gray and I regretted it. While I did a great job, it just didn't look right with painted brick no matter what color. Lived with it for many years, then decided to remodel it with natural stone tiles. Love it now.

By the way, what's the big black thing above your fireplace? It looks like a chalk board. If it is, a large, beautiful picture or even a mirror would do wonders for the wall instead. I do think a mantel would break up the monotony of the fireplace too.

I'd suggest taking a look at that stained fireplace someone posted recently. It was gorgeous.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

One of the reasons I would support painting it, (without giving you a straight answer on whether I ultimately would or not) is context in the relationship to the kitchen. It doesn't work all that well with the kitchen and it is giving the extended space a split personality.

If the pantry cabinets were painted marroon-red rather than a Swedish blue-grey...then I would leave the brick, but I am not suggesting the kitchen should be any different than it is now. However, the style of the kitchen is now the primary motivating force for the rooms as a whole, so perhaps the fireplace wall needs to change to accomodate what is going on opposite it.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So...I'm still on the fence about painting or not, but in the meantime, the chalkboard is coming down. Anyone think this mirror would work? I also think as Sandra suggested, that maybe some bigger pottery pieces on the hearth, maybe with tall branches, etc. would help to fill in some of the space.

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

While I like that piece, I don't feel it would go with that room in that place. If you put it over the fireplace, you are adding yet another texture, color and style into the space that doesn't go with anything that is there currently.

I'd still opt for a piece of art pulling the color of the chairs in. To tie the brick and that whole space in with your kitchen, pull some of those same colors into your kitchen. Break up the current white vases with something tall on one side. In the kitchen, a vase here, a jar there, a bowl over there, some spices or oils in colored jars or something. You already have your kitchen stools to start you out and if you continue adding those same brick red, orange, black and browns into the kitchen space, you have two rooms tied in nicely with ease of movement between those open spaces.

You have two very cool spaces and a great color palette to work with that just need to be tied in together and tweaked a bit.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I don't think I would use a mirror. I love mirrors almost more than chairs, but I wonder if an accumulated grouping of prints wouldn't look good on that brick? Maybe some French posters or something similar? And lose the same size vases. You need more asymmetrical with that long expanse of fireplace.

Red

• Oakley
    14 years ago

If it were my fp, I wouldn't touch it. It's absolutely gorgeous because the brick is a nice darkish color which is the perfect contrast to the white. The chairs around your table are a perfect fit for the brick.

One thing nice about the whole space is you can have two color schemes in one room.

I have nothing against painted brick, but only if it's ugly. lol. Your's is too pretty & kind of rustic looking to paint.

• htnspz
    14 years ago

I think I like the brick. I agree with the poster that said that the kitchen and this room have a disconnect. To bridge that I think lies in the accessories and lighting. I could see a great modern chandelier, (as is, it's a little confusing whether it's a dining room) some great abstract art and perhaps a rug (at the end if necessary).

I love your kitchen btw, it's just stunning!

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe I should start a new thread...."How to Tie This Room Together"!!!

I do agree there is a disconnect. This is my dining room set, but I "eliminated" the dining room by turning it into an office, when I did the kitchen. Couple of questions:

1) Do you think if I recovered the chairs with a "mod" pattern that might help. I think the burgundy color is a little formal for the kitchen.

2) Would I be better off moving the DR set back to the DR(I can do that) and starting all over in this room with a new table and chairs?

3) Here are a couple of prints I found when browsing yesterday. The first 2 can be used as a pair. The orange swirly one is featured in a Bloomingdale's window competition. The window is by Eddie Ross.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eddie Ross Window

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Now that you bring it up, I do think the table and chairs add to the disconnect. Both rooms work well enough in isolation but its hard to think of them adjacent to each other.

I am not sure reupholstering the chairs would do it. The harlequin back (which I am reading as wood) and the overall black and orange post-modernism of the table and chairs don't have anything to relate to the kitchen. I am big on mixing things up but the mix has to be represented in both spaces, not each at each end:)

Short of doing a black and orange harlequin tile behind the range (which I am not recommmending) I don't think there is something from the DR end that can be pulled over. (Nor would grey-blue look right on those chairs.) Right now the kitchen is modernist with a Gustavian palette, and the DR is post moderinist with a bit of a Beetle Juice palette. Nothing wrong with either but I don't see how to make the two mix.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Hope this picture helps. This was a mid-century modern fixer upper we bought in the late 80s. We'd only been in the home a couple of months, so it was still a bit bare when the photo was taken (and the DR covered w/ vinyl to protect it from our 3 little ones). Across from the fireplace was a long wall of windows. The woodwork and doors were originally a tan pickled oak, and they also got painted same color, one sheen level higher than the wall color.

Painting the fireplace was an easy decision. The brick was not a good color and it sucked the life out of the room. Anyway, you can see how the painted brick still adds an interesting textural element to the room.

We were able to visit the house last year. It was ruined in Katrina. The current owners were completely gutting it, so the fireplace, which was a false one to begin with, is gone. And the baby is now 22 years old :)

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

I still think you could pull this off with what you have now. Your rooms don't have to be matchy, matchy. You could make this work with art pieces that pull those colors and styles together. Yes, the rooms are different, but gee, isn't being ecletic interesting.

You could, if you want, remove the pieces from that room and put them elsewhere, but the brick isn't going anywhere. I actually really like the colors and fabrics on those pieces and wouldn't change them at all. You have a very interesting set, and wow, what a palette of color to go off of; don't change it.

I personally think that you can pull this all off with what you have, adding in some art over the fireplace, one tall piece to break up the planters and adding in some accessories to your kitchen (sparsely - here, there some on the selves, a few pieces on the counter, but not overboard and cluttered).

Shoot, try it, you can always return anything you pick up if you end up not liking it and try something else. I really like your rooms, btw, they have identity and personality.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I love the brick and I love the kitchen, but I think the dining table and chairs compete with both. If it were mine, I'd move the table and chairs. I might go with a marble-top round pedestal table that would match the island and maybe some of those clear chairs that don't take up any visual space for a fun touch. You could also go for a padded chair in the grey-blue of the kitchen or pick up the color/leather of the stools to coordinate the spaces. IMHO, the chairs and the brick, while each being lovely in its own right, are too busy to be together.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I wouldn't paint it. I think it looks great the way it is. We had a brick one in our living room that was heavy looking and ugly so my husband enclosed it with molding, added nice molding and it looks beautiful now (one of the posts talked about this). Sorry no pics. Artwork would add color and interest.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just found this. what do you think?

Alternative...I have 5 of these glass panels, and could get more if needed. Obviously this one isn't centered or may not even be at the right height, but before we drilled into the mortar for the rest of them I wanted to get an opinion. What do you think about this?

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I"m in the 'paint the brick' school on this one --

Palimpsest has already put it very well --

"If you really dislike it, and have all along, I would paint it and allow it to act as texture. I would consider the wall color, or the grey color of the wall of cabinets.

"One of the reasons I would support painting it, (without giving you a straight answer on whether I ultimately would or not) is context in the relationship to the kitchen. It doesn't work all that well with the kitchen and it is giving the extended space a split personality.
    If the pantry cabinets were painted marroon-red rather than a Swedish blue-grey...then I would leave the brick, but I am not suggesting the kitchen should be any different than it is now. However, the style of the kitchen is now the primary motivating force for the rooms as a whole, so perhaps the fireplace wall needs to change to accomodate what is going on opposite it."

I love the loft look -- but I don't think you can pull that off in a room with 8' ceilings and a bay window...

"I've been trying to avoid putting drywall up or a different tile, because I do like that whole "loft look"...but I live in a center hall colonial!! "

Again -- I like the table and chairs with the brick, and think that could be pulled tegether into a great space. But only if it were visually separated from the kitchen.

Would it be possible to do that? To separate the room from the kitchen more? Maybe a pair of barn doors flanking the opening? They could stay open virtually all of the time - but just having the doors there says 'separate room'...

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I'd paint it the gorgeous soft gray you have in the kitchen. I do like a bit of sheen on a brick as I think it helps make it more of an accent in texture than if you try to do it flat (that makes no sense so just go with it...smile and nod etc).

I like brick, but some brick is prettier than others. In the pics above they have old brick, which has a natural softness and ease that looks lovely unpainted. But newer brick has hard edges, sharp corners, etc and I don't know...it dosent' do much for me anyhoo.

I think our brick is pretty (it's 130 years old) but I still like that it's broken up a bit:
    {{gwi:1546929}}

We also have tan walls, green and more white...and it works.

• abbycat9990
    14 years ago

I'd urge you to wait until you've chosen a paint color for the kitchen. A bit of warmth might make the brick pop. Also large scale framed poster art worked for us...

I like your glass panels ( I smell Ikea!), and I'll raise you a black metal magnet board:

Once we embraced the brick color and painted our walls, we learned to love the fireplace wall. Maybe you can too ;-)

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Now that I see the closeup of your brick, I like it better as it is. I think painting could work, but not really sure what you are heading towards here.

Red

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

abbycat - yes, those are the Ikea panels, but I think they may be too small...even with 5 of them. I actually think your "Pop Art" piece looks great on your fireplace wall. It's hard to find are that doesn't "fight" the brick. Maybe I'll try and find a coordinating print to the one I have pictured on the right side in my first post and put them on the fireplace.

I updated this on my other thread(Does this dining table work here)that I'm moving the pictured table and chairs into the DR(where they were originally) and reworking this room. Hopefully, with what I have planned, the brick will relate better. Also planning on painting(with fireproof paint) the inside of the FP black, so that will clean up some of the look.