Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Has anyone used Farrow & Ball Powder Blue?

Sueb20
16 years ago

Must be the new hot color or something... I have noticed this particular color used in at least 2 magazine photos this month. It looks great in the photos and I may try it for my master bedroom, which is a continual work in progress. Anyone have any experience with this color?

Comments (4)

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

A good deal of experience here with their paint. It is possible to get a sample pot for about $6, which would be my suggestion.

I've seen the Powder blue which I would describe as a real 1960s powder blue color.

The surface quality of their paint is just wonderful. I feel it improves the look of my walls noticeably and it has a very unique velvety texture. It applies beautifully and holds up well.

Thing with their colors, which are not touted as full spectrum, is that they are very noticeably changeable. The celery green in my guest room goes from lime to pale gray depending on the light coming in and the time of day. This has been true of every one of their colors I've used -- even the whites -- so I test and work slowly with them. F.ex. a friend of mine painted her bedroom in Old White, which looks pale gray/taupe when I saw it (IRL). The sample board in my front hall looked gray green and went to a smoke color in late after noon (too dark for the entry for me). It did not even look like the same color.

I take the sample pot and paint 2 coats on a large (24 x 36) foam core board or other large poster board and tape it up so I can see how the color does in my rooms and leave it for at least a week.

You might also want to look at Blackened, which is a blue gray and will be less intense (and less blue) than the Powder.

• lisamaria
    16 years ago

I'm also interested in trying out this paint. Rococogurl, can you recommend any of the ivory shades before I purchase the samples? I was looking at Old White but it sounds too dark for my room. I'd like a creamy ivory shade, maybe something with a bit of yellow in it.

• judithn
    16 years ago

I used a SW Paint called Topsail that's ALOT like powder blue and I love it. It doesn't look like anything until ALL the paint goes up. Really, when we got started my husband and I squinted and tried to 'see' it. Was it grey? Was it a cool white? Where was the blue? Hard to find! But once we got larger amounts on the wall, it took on that misty airy blue shade that we wanted. This color looks amazing with taupes and blacks and creams and is so easy to live with. We are amazed every time we sit in our living room at how beautiful it is, especially with bright white painted moldings and window trim. I don't think I'd use these pale blues with any trim color other than bright white. It gives such gorgeous crisp contrast.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

lisamaria -- For ivory tones, I'd look at Pointing, White Tie and House White. The House White is a true ivory with some yellow undertones -- the most ivory of the 3 with pointing the least and White Tie in between.

Each of their whites has different undertones. I was at the showroom on Wed going through all the whites again and it was fascinating to see the differences when the sample boards were side by side.