Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

Ideas for Open Stairs (no risers)

ravmd
13 years ago

I have been trying photos for ideas of what we can do with these carpeted open stairs and have not been able to locate pictures. I think we need to recarpet (rather than just paint) as with 3 boys and a dog going up and down it may be better for safety and for noise reduction!

The room will be painted white as well as the spindles (not sure about the rail yet). If it had risers... I would have liked to have painted the stairs white and put in a sisal runner. With open stairs would you ever create a "runner" style look? Or do you need to completely wrap each step?

Looking for some inspiration photos! Thanks!

{{gwi:1546434}}

Comments (10)

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Or you could remove the carpet, insert risers via the backside and paint the whole thing, then add your runner on the stair side. The challenge will be where the stairs go over the badly added maids closet from the 50s....oh wait those are my ugly carpeted riser less stairs....ummm anyhow the first part of my answer is how I'm going to deal with the issue :).

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You could still do a runner effect. The country club where I grew up had open riser floating stairs and there was wood exposed on each side with a piece of runner attached around each step.

I would recommend keeping the handrail and the tread stained If thats what the treads are--its hard to tell if they are even wood. rather than painting them white: more durable and the bit of wood against the white will provide some highlight.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

I have a link for you. It's in our Gallery among the room threads, and staircases have a huge thread all their own. There are some open staircases in there, so keep scrolling for them. Don't think any are carpeted, but I agree with you that carpet is better with kids and dogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staircase Eye Candy Blowout!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

These might work. It seems they are only in the UK, but see what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear stair treads

• ravmd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow... thanks for all the great ideas!
    I had wondered whether finishing them off on the back so they aren't open should be considered. Just afraid it will make a small room seem even smaller so not sure. There was a photo in oceanna's link towards the bottom that I liked where the staircase is finished off behind the steps and they have the driftwood like paneling/shelves and some beachy stuff on them.
    Loved the staircase candy link -what great ideas there! And just fun to look at.
    I think the other idea that could really work is still doing a runner, but rather than wrapping it around the whole step like I originally thought was the only option...is looking at some of the 'stair tread mats' that were in deedees link.
    Love the sisal mats! seems we could keep the openness and not have such a "heavy look" of carpeted steps.
    Filing these ideas away! DH has a ways to go on the remodel but want to be ready!

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I don't have an opinion one way or another, but here are some pictures I found where you can see different options/colors etc.

{{gwi:1546438}}

Vinyl flooring on threads - not as slippery

inset with trim

Sisal to place on open stair threads
    {{gwi:1546441}}

A link to a google search with open stairs

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Here is a pic of open stairway with runner:

{{gwi:1546442}}

• ravmd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This has really helped! I am finding more ideas now that I know to google "carpet stair treads" rather than runner or just "open stairs".

Nice to know there are other options to a fully wrapped step. Seemed to much for the beach.
    Thanks for getting some new ideas for us!

I think I like these styles with a painted/stained stair.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Glad you found my link helpful, and what a lot of great pix here -- didn't want you to miss them! Hope you will post some "after" pictures of yours.