Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keleh

Brighten up Master Bathroom

Keleh
10 years ago

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and desperately seeking advice/guidance re: paint colours and lighting for my dark and dreary master bathroom. I'd like to paint out the cabinets and change the wall colour to down play the yellowish/Gwen toned ceramic tile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll pay pics in natural light and at night.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

Comments (17)

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Counter and dark brown cabinet.

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would like to change mirror and lighting. Everything is so dark.

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At night

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, here are pics of the room with one large window. I'm trying to figure out how to upload multiple pics to one message.

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Window over tub

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love BM Palladian Blue, Healing Aloe, Quiet Moments; also Wedgewood Grey, Whythe Blue; SW Quietude, Rainwashed, Sea Salt.

I can't figure out whether you have gray in your tile. That would be another way to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: paint colors for bathroom with beige tiles

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I will second a few of nosoccermom's choices since I just sampled them for my master bedroom (rainwashed, quietude,and sea salt). However, since you mention that the room is too dark, I'd probably steer you away from quietude as I think it will be too dark (by the way - it's the one that I choose and looks great). I think sea salt would looks great.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The color changes in every photo so it's hard to say what to do. I think a light gray with a hint of blue could work. I would not paint the cabinet! It provides contrast to the beige, and I don't think a white cabinet will look as good. There's already a lot of white with the tub, toilet, etc. I would use a polished metal light fixture for some shine and replace the vanity knobs to match it. I'd plan to upgrade the Corian (?) countertop and put in an undermount sink, which will make the vanity look much richer. Get a pretty window shade. I think those changes will draw the eye way from all the tile.

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions, I'm going to head to the paint and lighting store for some paint chips and lighting ideas.

• aputernut
    10 years ago

Why can't you folks turn you photo's?
    it's so easy! download a free photo editing
    software is you must.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Your bathroom has very similar tiles and wall colors as mine -- beige/gray mixtures. These builders sure don't like to make a color commitment... neutral sells!! Not much of my tile floor shows in this picture, but there is some showing.

It is interesting to me that your title used the words "Brighten up". I would stay away from gray if you really mean that. Grey is a nice choice, but rarely bright.

I just did my bathroom in a mid-tone beige that blended well with the countertop -- BM Kangaroo (Affinity collection) (on far right and far left). I love it, not too dark, not too light. My previous builder wall color was Manchester Tan. blech. (IMO).

I thought I had a match to the countertop several times until I really did. It was tricky with a multi-color countertop. Ditto with multi-color tiles. sample sample sample

Probably good idea to browse bathroom pictures to get some color inspirations. Bathrooms are a fun place to explore bold choices too because it's a small space, but it is PITA painting in a bathroom so redo's not welcome.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

re lighting... replace the CFLs with incandescents or halogens (if the fixture accepts them). Are your faucets oil-rubbed-bronze like the fixture? Typically the same finish appears on both.

Easy enough to paint the mirror, but a plain frameless mirror might be nice too. Maybe your frame could be removed???? Not sure if the exposed edges are different for framed and frameless.

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wendy thank you for the pics, I really like your cabinet colour. Did you paint the cabinets and I'd so, what colour?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

No, I didn't paint them they came like that with the house. The color looks similar to BM Bone White - which is a color I painted bathroom cabinets in previous house.

If you look really close there is so-called "antiquing" around the raised panel edges. I think it looks ridiculous -- just like pin stripes and am planning on painting over it. Not authentic looking in the least. I hope I can match the color and sheen of those cabinets. Factory finish so probably not. May have to re-paint the whole thing.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Start by taking off the amber globes on your vanity lamps and get a white or a white marbleized. I found some at Lowe's that has that shape and lovely light colors. Do you have a ceiling light in the room? If not, that would make a huge difference. I agree about the sea salt, it would play so well off the floor tones, then throw in white towels, some art with a white background, maybe throw down a light colored rug and see how you like it.

• Keleh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all your suggestions; I'm getting pretty excited now that I've been provided some great ideas.