Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_12623652

Anyone have pictures of Tobacco Road?

User
16 years ago

Hi! I am thinking of painting my kitchen/living room in Tobacco Gold but I'm a little nervous as it's darker than I usually go - does anyone have photos of rooms painted with it? I've done a search but old posts with it are no longer retrievable. Thanks!

Gail

Comments (33)

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Here is TR in my FR:

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi kmcg85 - I'm so glad you responded because I had seen your room in the gallery and thought it might be Tobacco Road but it didn't say - our room is similar in that we will be using white trim and have a lot of natural light, which it looks like you do too, so this helps a lot. Thanks! Did you use Duron satin?

• acomom
    16 years ago

Hi, Here's a photo of the dining section of my kitchen, painted Duron Tobacco Road. Love the color! At night, it reads darker, but is still warm and pleasant. Good luck!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Hi, thankyou! Actually I had it matched in a SW eggshell because there is no Duron here. I happened to be in Maryland and I stopped into a Duron store and got a gallon of TR to use to touch up an area over our wetbar after a remodel and it matched perfectly! You cannot tell where the two paints blend! Yes, I have a lot of natural light. I LOVE this color! It goes well with many colors. Some say they see green in it, but I don't see any green at all. I never tire of it. Hopefully Polkadots will post hers. She just painted her foyer in TR.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Acomom, don't you just love it with black furniture? Yours looks great! Love that sideboard!

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much kmcg and acomom - it looks really nice in your homes - which are beautiful by the way! It definitely looks lighter than I thought it would - I guess because I'm looking at a section of it painted on my white wall so the contrast with the white is throwing me off. I think I'm gonna go for it - thanks again!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Two beautiful rooms, both of them.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Acomom, I hadn't seen your photo before. The black sideboard is beautiful and shows up so well against the Tobacco Road ground.

Gail, when you first walk away from white walls, everything looks too intense, "too much", against the white background. That first swath from your roller is always a little scary, it's just so much contrast. That's why I like to buy a whole quart of whatever color I am set on and pour some of it into the tray to cover as much of a small wall area as possible, as soon as possible. If you paint all the way up to a big piece of furniture, (a dresser, sideboard, entertainment center, kitchen cabinets) and do a fairly wide piece of wall, at least 6', you can actually step back and see a glimpse into the room you have in your imagination. Little sample splotches just don't quite do the trick.

Red

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Redbazel you are so right. The white really makes it hard to see what the color will really look like. I have painted a fairly big area that goes up against a bookshelf and I think that's giving me a pretty good idea of how it will look. Thanks everyone for your help! Painters are coming tomorrow morning.

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Hi. Here is a picture of my recently painted great room with Tobacco Road (not yet finished with the decor/arrangement of the room). I had it mixed in SW. I also did my foyer, but I have a hard time getting a picture that looks right in there. I do not think it is dark at all. I was afraid of the same thing, but now I actually wish it was a little darker! Good luck!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I think you will be very happy with it. If you have bookcases, paint the backs of those as well. At first I didn't, I left them white. A few months later, I painted the backs myself with the leftover paint and it made a huge difference. Very pretty. Although, I would like to someday change the backs to Tattersall Brown, which I believe is one down on the strip.

• tfm1134
    16 years ago

acomom-your room is beautiful! I have been looking at TR for a while (to paint my den) and was also afraid it would be too dark.
    by the way, could you tell me where you got her fruit painting? Would love to have that for my kitchen

• laura1202
    16 years ago

Tobacco Road is such a great color! In our old house we had it on one wall of the family room and then we used it in the kitchen too, in preparation to sell--and it really made me wish I'd had it in there all along!

{{gwi:1546022}}

{{gwi:1546023}}

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

More Tobacco Road here. I love it!

• leahwalker
    16 years ago

Very pretty color, and I'm in the market for a color for my great room. :)

I'm wondering how it looks in person? Some of the pics do show some green (very first pic, especially inside the right-hand bookshelf, and the photo with the brick fireplace looks almost yellow green.) But in others it has sort of a "millet" or "sesame" look...

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Leah, that is so funny you said "millet" because that is one of the lighter colors on that strip! Also a pretty color. My old neighborhood had a lot of "millet" foyer's and FR's. I guess IRL I don't see any green, but in some of the pictures it comes across with a hint of green. A monitor issue maybe. Maybe others with TR can tell you if they see any green IRL.

• polkadots
    16 years ago

I do see a little green in mine in the evening. I will say I don't feel 100% confident that my TR completely matches the Duron paint chip, but it is what I got from SW.

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I laughed when I saw the "millet" too. I have used Plantation Beige and Sandy Lane from the same strip. Plantation Beige is one shade lighter than TR and the Sandy Lane is 3 shades up the strip. I skipped the Millet just for a little more contrast.

I've always felt that golds/beiges tend to lean a little pink or a little green. I think the Tobacco Road leans toward the green, but only at night and very little. I didn't want pinkish undertones so I'm ok with that. I've asked others if they see a hint of green at night and they look at me like I'm nuts though.

• darlene64
    16 years ago

mimi...I love your kitchen, can you tell me about the shutters you have. They look beautiful. My home is early 1800's and in my kichen I have bay windows that measure 21"x60". I like them open, but wanted something for a little privacy and I like your look of shutters on the bottom half. TIA

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I googled TR and these two really show it's richness.

{{gwi:1546027}}
    {{gwi:1546028}}

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I love all the pictures of Tobacco Road on the walls. Thanks for sharing.

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

darlene,

My shutters are 3 1/2" wooden shutters color matched (vanilla bean) to my trim. I had them made locally in the Memphis area. I did the entire house but only on this one kitchen window I did the cafe style. They are hinged to the outside on each window and are not bi-fold. I like bi-folds but I think they look better with narrower louvers and I wanted the width to match all the others. It does allow for a very open look also. We've enjoyed just having the lowers for privacy and I've been here a year trying to decide if I want to do valances at the top. I'm thinking maybe I will this spring. Thanks for the compliment :-) Hope that info helps.

Mimi

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Love all the pics. I hope you're all posting your paint color pics to the appropriate threads in the Gallery?

• darlene64
    16 years ago

Thank you mimi.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to thank all of you for your photos and input - they finished painting yesterday and we love the Tobacco Road - my husband wants to paint the whole house with it! Like you all said, it is definitely not too dark and adds warmth to our room which it really needed because one of the rooms is basically a wall of windows - which is nice but makes it very difficult to give the room warmth and personality because of the lack of wall space for art, etc. and the fact that I can't do window treatments with so many windows. So the color really helps - thanks again so much! If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do that soon.

• nami
    16 years ago

Those of you who live with Tobacco Road, does this colr work with yellows and golds and other earth tones?

• snookums
    16 years ago

Where can one yet a swatch of this color? What brand is it?

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Nami, I would say yes. My couch is a darker caramel color(light brown). It works with a lot of colors, very versatile.
    snookums, TR was a Duron Paint color. They were bought by SW a few years ago. So, SW might have the formula in their computers. There are still Duron stores in the mid atlantic area. A lot of builder's in the Md, VA, D.C. area use Duron colors. Others here have gotten it from Farrell Calhoun, though I'm not sure what part of the country that is found.

• superlady
    15 years ago

This is such a beautiful color! So much so I am really thinking about painting my master bathroom this color. Would I just go to Sherwin Williams or Lowes and tell them Tobacco Road and they know what it is?

• superlady
    15 years ago

I got it from Sherwin Williams. I told them it use to be by Duron and the palette number was 8214. I hope that my room comes out as beautiful as everyone elses.

• ricci123
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. Love this color. I went to Ben. Moore paint store. They have California Paints there. Saw tobacco road and bought the big square well 2 of them and put them on wall. Love it, but it looks different than all of yours. Confused? anyone have a pic with this color from California Paint. Are all tobacco road colors different? Painter coming Monday. Help

• marsh8109
    15 years ago

I would like to paint my basement in tabacco road, it has three windows in the great room/kitchen area and although it is not overly dark down there it is still a basement. Would this color be to dark in a space like that?

• gilliamjs
    14 years ago

I went to home depot tonight and they mixed me a sample can of the tobaccco road. I just told them it ws tobaccco road, duron paint company... and then she said is it millenium? I said yes and she mixed it and its GORGEOUS! Home depot just started selling sample cans for $3 and they will mix the colors for you!