Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on deciding what color to paint kitchen cabinets

Posted by Bonnie941 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 9:50

My kitchen has the honey oak cabinets and I would love to paint them. I do not know what color I should go with. I have hardwood floors, the counter top is a dark granite and I have black appliances. Right now there is not back splash, but I plan on installing this later. Do you have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on deciding what color to paint kitchen cabinets

If you can post pictures it would really help...but just from your description I think a creamy off white might look nice.

o

Picture is posted. Thanks.

o

What colors are in the granite? Is it grays or browns? Is there a certain kitchen style you're drawn to? Do you like dark and sexy (black cabinets), more light and airy (white cabinets), maybe something different (gray cabinets)?

o

Instead of white, I might try to pull a color in the right tone from the granite and do something like this:

or this:

or even:

o

You are lucky that your cabinets are not honey oak, that orange builder-grade color. Yours actually look like they have a nice dark stain. Painting, prep, etc is a lot of work. Your other finishes are nice too, dark pulls, pretty granite. Would you consider just doing a very pretty light backsplash?

If you do go with paint, be sure to use BM cabinet coat. It will help cover the grain, though probably not all. There are many posts here on GW to help you with the process.
With your brown granite you might look at BM Bone White. If you are looking for whites, lean toward the warmer whites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen with BM Bone White

o

I would reconsider painting the oak and just restore the stain o rmaybe go a little bit darker. Also, if there's no crown molding on the cabinets, I'd add one.
Also, maybe add some glass uppers.
Check out the new darker IKEA oak cabinets.

o

Thanks for the help, I believe I will reconsider painting and add a nice backsplash. You have all been so helpful!

o

Maybe some updated light fixtures and under-cabinet lighting would make a big change.
Below some more darker oak kitchens.

o

If you'd like a darker color to the cabinets.. you could go to a more 'Cherry' or 'Walnut ' color with N-Hance (a Home Depot service). Looks impressive in the link below... plus lots of good reviews!

Here is a link that might be useful: N-Hance Cabinet Color Shift

o

nosoccermom, I LOVE Ikea's new oak stain color!!

o

A couple of months ago, when I was at IKEA, a young couple were drooling over the (darker) Rockhammar oak cabinets. They'd never seen anything like this :)
Ha!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here