Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Window sheers in 120" length...go custom or ready-made?

three3apples
9 years ago

Our family room has two double hung windows and two double-wide double hung windows. Currently the room is being unused since it isn't completely furnished and hasn't been our priority (we use our keeping room daily). I'm tired of having nothing on the windows, however, both because of no sunlight filter and also no privacy from the neighbors. I've not committed to a color or fabric for the drapes unfortunately, but do want to go ahead and have sheers put up since we will have them eventually anyway. I've never purchased sheers before and am unclear about what fabric is best and also if they will be on extra wide windows, is custom better so there aren't many panels? Do sheers get hung in 1.5 or 2x the window width as drapery panels do? Lastly, what is the top treatment for them? I see many in rod pocket and wonder if that is best for a window that will have formal drapes on it--rod pocket always seems informal to me. Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (9)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Will you be opening and closing them on a regular basis? If so then you'd probably want rings. If not, then a rod pocket will do.

You typically do want them to double width....you can order them pretty wide... I see one at jcp for 118" wide....

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

Drapery panels for rodpockets and pinch pleats should be 2 1/2x wide. Sheers should be 3X to 5X wide, unless there's a pattern there of something that you'd want to see, then you'd go about 1 1/2X.
    There's very sheer and there's semi-sheers. If you're looking for privacy, you're better off going with semi-sheers. Sheers come in different types of fabrics just like drapery fabrics. If you can, go to a fabric store and check some of them out to see what you like.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

For something you are going to be opening and closing everyday, or regularly, I would go with sheers on a traverse rod with a pulley, nothing less.

Trying to open and close 10 foot long drapes by pulling on the leading edge is going to be a pain and will also stress the fabric and they will also get wrinkly and dirty on the leading edge.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

If you're wanting something you won't/don't want to be opening/closing, using sheers with tension rods(inside window casing)at the top and bottom is a good alternative. It will give plenty of privacy w/o completely covering the whole window~i've used this treatment in the kitchen eating area on 4 long windows. One rod is at the very bottom at sill level, with the other rod about 3/4 up on the windows, just high enough for me to look over. I chose ivory sheers w/black plaid valancce since these are the colors most prominent thruout my home. The sheers are 'sheered' on the rods, so use wider panels or more than one for fullness. There is a top and bottom on the sheer panels, with the top having the larger 'hem'.

I have plantation shutters in other rooms, another good alternative.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You don't tell us the width of your windows. Does you window look like this one below?

This image is from JC Penny. If your sheers will mostly stay closed for privacy, you'll want to double the amount of panels on each side. These sheers are currently 65% off and 120" tall, so if you can make them work, this is a bargain. A grommet mount will work because they don't need to be opened and closed often. I agree that if you will be opening and closing the sheers often you'll want some type of traverse rod and cords instead with a pinch pleat heading.

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

DH's study has French doors and windows on 3 sides, one side gets full afternoon sun. Our decorator had custom sheers made and to reduce the sun glare on the computer and TV screen she had them self lined. What a difference it made - they still let light in but now there's no harsh glare.

We do open and close them so they're hung on a decorative traverse rod with a pulley cord on the side.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

This is the idea. Top/bottom rods.

Here is a link that might be useful: idea

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The double wide windows in that room are about 80" or so wide.

I think I need to do them on a traverse rod so I don't ruin them opening and closing as palimpsest suggested. Other than Kirsch, who makes nice decorative traverse rods? I don't want anything Italianate or Contemporary in style. My house is Georgian. Thanks to all of you.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Look at Vesta

I think that you have to look at Techno Topia for the two-way pulley traverse, but it comes in brass and is compatible with some of their traditional finials as far as I can tell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vesta

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 22:22