Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtyshoes_gw

Help.....What would you do?

dirtyshoes
9 years ago

Well, I threw caution to the wind and painted my living room a BM Buttered Hazelnut. I was going for a goldish color and this was not my choice, but I ended up with the color my husband picked.

I don't hate it, but I'm not thrilled with it either. Do you know how you keep looking at a color to see if it can finally be put into a "pretty good" category. It hasn't happened yet.

So, what would you do to remedy this situation? Glaze over? Throw in some white paint into the remainder and paint over it? Pick another color and redo the entire room?

Looking forward to your comments.

BTW...I can't figure out if it's like a melon or turmeric color.

Comments (25)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What are the fabrics for?

Ceiling and trim are white?

And I think it's Valspar Buttered Hazlenut, right? Not Ben Moore.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 9:55

• busybee3
    9 years ago

it's very bright, but it's a nice color... I wouldn't care for it in my house because I generally like less bright colors on the walls..... i like it a lot with the fabric draped over the couch! (I don't like it so much with the fabric on the coffee table tho...) is the fabric for window treatments?? before you decide about the wall color for sure, you should choose a fabric...
    what color is the ceiling? it looks like a pale yellow on my screen, but it's probably not an accurate color that I'm seeing... that's what bothers me most about your picture but if the ceiling is a white it probably looks better in person...

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

The color itself gives lots of energy, but it is not playing nicely with all the brown of your furniture and floor.
    I think the furnishings and paint need to have the same base color ... If you imagined the space with a dark gray couch, painted black table and chairs, and new artwork - the room would be moving toward that "ah, this feels nice" feeling you are looking for.
    Maybe ask your DH what your decorating budget is? or look for a golden color with a brown base and repaint?

• teacats
    9 years ago

1)How do you want the room to "feel"? Warm? Cozy? Light? Bright?

2)What is your inspiration piece? The fabrics that we can see on the sofa? The artwork that is hung above the sofa? What is the exact tones in the floor tiles?

3)Please take some more photos around the whole room -- and perhaps one of the floor tiles .....

• dirtyshoes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops...my mistake...it is Valspar.

Up until a week ago, the color in the room was Toast. I like a little more color, so I ordered the fabric (the one that's on the sofa) to make some pillow slips. After painting the room, I took the fabric out to see if it still would be doable. The wall color actually looked less shocking after laying out the fabric.

The trim and ceiling are white.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

For some reason that color gives me a southwestern vibe. I just don't think its the right color for your furnishings.

• seww
    9 years ago

Repaint and don't give it any more thought!
    Sue

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

I vote for repainting. I once had my husband spend an entire weekend painting our living room and dining room. Large areas too. Hated it immediately. The light in my house just made the color look off, especially at night with lights on. Repainted it and loved it.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What other plans do you have for the room? I would pick fabrics, area rugs, accessories (whatever your plans are for the room) independent of the paint colour. Pick a colour palette that you like and enjoy. If it works with the paint colour then great - if not, repaint.

The current paint colour is an anomaly - it's hanging out by itself so don't tie yourself to it by trying to make it work if you're unsure.

This post was edited by blfenton on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 15:11

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put a glaze on it, anything brownish over it will just muddy it, and touching up is extremely difficult to do with glaze, you'd probably end up repainting the room, which is what I think you ought to do it if you want to love that room. You'd have at least 'liked' the paint by now if it was going to grow on you.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

With the fabric that's draped over the sofa, it looks like retro 70s. I would repaint it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The lighting in the photo is not good, so here is the wall color. I don't think it goes with the prints you have laid out.
    {{gwi:2137007}}

Not sure if I'd call it a paprika or a turmeric or maybe a mustard. I think the color can be grand, but, given it's depth, it needs to be dealt with in a sophisticated way...I don't think those prints will do it for you.

Here are some design seeds that may inspire you...

{{gwi:2137008}}

{{gwi:2137009}}

Here are similar colors in rooms....

{{gwi:2137010}}

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Ashburn Interior Designers & Decorators Paula Grace Designs, Inc.

{{gwi:2137011}}

[Mediterranean Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2109)

You may want to keep it as an accent color on one wall and neutralize the rest....

{{gwi:2137012}}

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Asheville Home Builders Deltec Homes

{{gwi:2137013}}

[Midcentury Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2115) by Portland Closet & Home Storage Designers Tara Bussema - Neat Organization and Design

The fabrics you select will also have an impact on the mood the color creates...

{{gwi:2137018}}

Lots of ways to play with the color for sure....

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Everyone's taste is different-- but that looks like a very bold color in your pic-- almost like cantaloupe. If you were going for a gold color, I think I'd repaint in a different color.

• User
    9 years ago

dirty,
    I would repaint that.
    That color isn't working at all, and your hardwood floors have a gold cast to them. They are light golden floors, dark brown furniture, so go light blue, light neutral green, mabey a light vanilla color on the walls since you like bold fabrics for your furniture.
    I would go light. Not bright. Does that make sense?
    Any color that would go with your floors, since your floors have a golden cast to them.
    Go buy a gallon of Kiltz latex primer for the wall, paint the primer on a good portion of it.
    Then go buy some paint samples from a paint store, and put them on the wall. Live with the samples a couple of days.
    Which one do you like better?
    Best way to do it.
    Painting is alot of work. It's a pain to not like the color after all that work, so this way you will save yourself alot of aggravation.

• dirtyshoes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input.

I'm convinced it has to be repainted. It'll have to wait for a few days though. I was standing on a pub chair and fell off yesterday. So I'm scraped, bruised and sore. At least I'll have time to research a new color.

Annie, thank you for all the information. I actually like the wall colors in the inspiration pictures. I wish I knew what the colors were. Interesting blue color on the first seed strip. I'm watching HGTV and the couple in CT (my home- state) looked at a home that had the same color as mine and the blue in the game room. The blue was the top half of the wall. I would have never thought to pair them.

If anyone has any suggestions on paint color, I would love to hear them.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

You could look at SW Restrained Gold or Mannered Gold. Google image search the colors to see lots of pics.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Could you turn on all of your lamps and lighting? That would help us see the true color.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you want to repaint, and use that pretty blue & green fabric on the coffee table, then I'd go with a soft gold like BM Pearl Harbor. If you want something a little deeper, then BM Wilmington Tan. Remember that the paint on the wall will look different in the room lighting than on a paint chip and it will seem more intense once the whole room is that color.

{{gwi:2137019}}

{{gwi:2137020}}

• party_music50
    9 years ago

dirtyshoes, I recently grabbed some Valspar color samples and just noticed the back of the card says they have a color guarantee: "If you don't like your color get another free. Restrictions apply. See valsparpaint.com/guarantee for details."

Here is a link that might be useful: Valspar guarantee

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Repaint and cut your losses. There's no fixing it.

Also those fabrics don't coordinate with the furniture you have already selected for your room. They might be more appropriate for a patio, but not the living room. Start over.

• Vith
    9 years ago

I did my bathroom a Tuscan color, I ended up finding the color BM Golden Tan, its not too yellow and not bold. Maybe you would like that more.

• dirtyshoes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like that Wilmington tan, Annie.

Party, thank you for that information. Now I have to find a suitable color in Valspar if I'm going to get the credit. I have a sample of Sherwin Williams Gold Vessel that I really like. I wonder what Valspar's equivalent would be.

Beverly, I actually did make a couple of pillow slips for the patio with that material. I have a few yards of other material that are earmarked for the living room. A couple of them look similar to ones that Annie posted.

Vith, I loooove the BM Golden Tan, but wonder what would it's cousin be in Valspar. If I can't find one, than Golden Tan it'll be. I'll have to check and see if Home Depot or another hardware store carries BM.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Valspar's Almond Oil is very close to BM Golden Tan.

Valspar's Mojave Sunset is very close to SW Gold Vessel

The gold vessel has more red in it than does the golden tan....it almost looks more pink to me.

• Vith
    9 years ago

I usually get BM paint color matched at Home Depot. They actually have formulas in their computer for many of the BM paint, but if they dont have the formula they can color match it off of the swatch, you would just have to get the swatch. If you only need a small amount of a BM paint, their samples are a decent size in eggshell.

I like to find nice colors at BM and then buy Behr paint at HD. BM does a good job of toning down colors so they arent overpowering. If BM didnt charge 50-70 bucks for a gallon of paint I would definitely get the paint there but their prices are a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I would prefer to support the small business carrying BM but I wont do double price per gallon.

BM starter paint is 40/gallon and they dont have satin as an option which is what I like to use for the durability and it is not too shiny. Next step up in BM is 50/gallon. Next step up is 70/gallon.

At HD, Behr premium plus is 25/gallon, premium plus ultra is 35/gallon, marquee is 45/gallon. I usually get premium plus in Satin and have not had problems, and its half the price of BM and zero VOC. If its kitchen or bathroom paint I bump up to ultra. They actually have paint for a bit less at Menards in Dutch boy and Pittsburgh paint which I have used and holds up well, but I have had trouble getting them to do good color matches so I tend to get paint at HD.

Not being a spokesperson or anything, just some pricing I have found / experience I have had.

This post was edited by Vith on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 9:59

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Well its okay that the colour is a bit dynamic and full of energy but after a year or two you will get bored with it. Pastel colours or light neutrals like ivory can always remain in fashion.