Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Den Update: Too much color?

localeater
10 years ago

We are updating our small den. We use this room for watching TV, and playing games. The room is also the home to our woodstove which in the winter is a big part of our home heating. This means we need to leave ample space around it because it throws out a lot of heat.
I am clutter phobic and really like neutral, calm color schemes. Our house is very open, but this room is sort of hidden away, behind a center brick chimney. The DH and DS's vote that this room should be fun and colorful. To this end they have selected and purchased two pieces, a very bright rug and a turquoise leather swivel chair. This is a lot for me to digest but I am being brave! I need your help to pull it all together, I need a paint color, window treatments, end table(s), coffee tables and lighting.
The room is pulled apart right now so please pardon the mess in the photos, this is the space

From Den

From Den

The TV will need to stay where it is as it is the only full wall
From Den

From Den

This is the rug and chair they have purchased
From Den

From Den

For a sofa, I could purchase or I could move the LR sofa into the den and purchase new for that room. This is the existing LR sofa-
From Den

My husband and I really like this sofa for the den,
From Den
the woman at the furniture store is suggesting doing it in a krypton fabric in a orangey rust color like the darkest orange from the rug. I worry that stylistically with the leather chair they selected it will be too much. And colorwise the rust couch and the blue chair could also be too much- maybe a more neutral sofa color. I would like any sofa to have a not too high back to minimize the window blockage.
Please share your thoughts

Comments (24)

• andee_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've never been comfortable with buying all new furniture for a room, especially if the pieces will be substantially different and they are expected to work together. My first question would be: do you want/need a new sofa for the LR? If so, I'd concentrate on getting that and move the existing sofa into the Den. Its color will work with the new rug and chair for now. (Or wait on deciding for a new Den sofa until you get the chair and rug in place.) The wood beams and trim area are an important color presence in the room and I'd be careful about choosing a sofa upholstery that is too close to it. Then you can start looking at paint samples and fabric and the smaller pieces. I think the rug and chair are fantastic!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Oh, I like the orangey rust with the turquoise chair. Notice that in the display picture of the chair it's sitting on an orangey-rust floor and it looks great.
    I think that with the rug the turquoise chair and that tufted sofa will look really nice. I'm also thinking it'll work well with the sea salt sort of color you already have on the walls.
    I think it would look rich and updated with the wood you have going on in there.
    You might also consider replacing the shade on the hanging drum pendant with one that has a bit of color.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

I really like the rug and chair! I would put them in the room, along with your LR sofa, and go from there. I would pull a blue color from the rug for the walls, since the wood in your room is from the orange family. Once in place you can decide whether or not you're happy with the sofa.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I think it's a really great space, and the chair and rug will go great in there. The beams are fantastic, and I also really like the chest the tv is sitting on.

I like the existing wall color, and I assume it's the same as the other part of the space, so I probably wouldn't change it. It's a calm, soothing color, too. Furniture really aren't "clutter" to me, but I'd avoid too many patterns when that's a concern.

I think the one panel curtain you have up there is blah, so that would be on my list to change. Maybe a double panel in darker rusty color to echo the color of the beams and the rug.

I'd also carefully consider the lighting, since that's a main tv watching space. Make sure it's dark enough in the daytime to watch the tv without glare, and have ambient light in the evening for atmosphere.

Also, if possible (money or convenience-wise) I'd think about putting a fan in the room, to help distribute the warmth from the wood burning stove to the rest of the house.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Love the chair and the rug too. But I think the wall color is wrong. I'm reading it as a light blue-grey. I know taking indoor pictures it may not be what the color actually is. One wall looks beigier. Anyhow, if the objects in the room are going to be colorful, I would want the walls to be near white like in the living room. Let those beautiful timbers pop. Also, can you steal the living room picture over the sofa for the den? Colors seems perfect! Not crazy about the look of the living room sofa with the direction the den is going. It's okay, but less than ideal IMO. I think the new sofa should relate somehow to the chair... either in color tone or material or style arms or something. Maybe a darker version of the chair? I recently got a light sofa and I am always nervous about spilling food or drinks on it. For a comfy den that gets a lot of use, a dark color is your friend!

• theclose
    10 years ago

I love the chair and the rug! Your DH and DS have great taste! I think your current lr couch would work, but I agree that an orangey rust color would look great too. I would read orangey rust as a neutral, so I don't think it would be too much color.

I also think you can go neutral on the walls, as wendyb stated, so that your fab furniture is the focal point. A nice creamy white. And that pic over the lr couch is great! Would look wonderful in the den.

• teacats
    10 years ago

First -- a BIG vote for the new orange sofa -- which will work well with the tones in the woodwork -- and the new rug and new chair.

Second -- consider moving the current artworks in the room -- and adding the colorful artwork that is now hanging above the old living room sofa.

Third -- consider adding a colorful small rounded lamp to sit at the far end of the TV cabinet (maybe an orange lamp?) to light up that far corner of the room .....

• igloochic
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous space to work with and your family has wonderful taste!

I too like the tufted sofa in a deeper tone. I'd also go with a soft tone on the walls, personally though not white but a really deep vanilla. Ralph Lauren had a color called parchment which is a vanilla on the yellow side that would be gorgeous. Even a very very very soft gold tone would work to bring in some color without competing with the other tones in the room.

I would change the window coverings for something more substantial or interesting. I'd also change out those rods for something heavier because they feel too small for me against those beams (which are wonderful). You could do something fun like driftwood rods (are you near a beach????) with a heavy tied burlap drape or a rich orange to flow with the sofa color in a heavy linen feel or go really bold and pull a print out that works well with the new rug (which is FAB). But make sure they're lined so they carry more weight than the current set up has going.

Bolder artwork would be nice. Even if you just grab a couple of rolls of a great patterned wallpaper that you can cut and frame as art would be a good idea. Something that fills the space above the tv (love that table by the way) and then flank the window on the far wall.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I agree: don't make too many changes at once. I would bring in the new rug and chair and then "shop" your own home for pieces to put in there. I think swapping the sofas and the art from LR to den and vice versa would work. It seems like the den will be the colorful room and the LR will be the one with subdued tones. I think it will look wonderful. I love your beams and I really like the wall color. You could go darker, but again, I would wait and see how it all comes together. It's hard to wait, I know, but it could prevent you from making costly mistakes. Been there, done that.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I second geokid. What;s the rush? I like that your DH and DS have an opinion on how they would like the space.
    i"m like you though, I would prefer neutrals, but you wouldn't know it by looking at my house!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I love how rustic and modern can come together nicely when they do it on HGTV or Pottery Barn. Your timber frame screams rustic and the new pieces contrast nicely. Maybe wrought iron would work for your hardware choice to bring the rustic in to tone down the splashes of modern.

Window treatments will definitely define the space strongly -- being large and the vertical element they are most visible.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I love the new rug and chair!! What a gorgeous room it is going to be. And I agree win what has been said about not rushing into a decision about either a new sofa OR paint. Even though it will be easier to paint the walls before you put too much in there, I think I would try the old sofa for a week or two and see how you like it. I am not crazy about it, truthfully, as I think it is a tad on the dull side for the direction your room is going. And I think the lines of the newer sofa would be better. I actually think the rust tones would complement the chair nicely too or maybe a tweed in a soft gold that would pick up the gold in the rug. It should be comfy whatever you choose, so I wouldn't worry too much about blocking the window.

The existing paint color you have just might work. Also a soft, pale gold as igloo chic suggested would soften the look. Then add some turquoise and rustic accessories...lamps, vases, etc and you are done. Also love the TV cabinet.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I prefer to keep big ticket items like sofas more neutral, and jazz them up with pillows and throws...this way if you redecorate the sofa is still good. If you go orange, it will be more limited. I'd go forest green or gold....

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I love the rug, chair and sofa you picked out. Agree with outside that your LR sofa is a bit too muted. I would paint the walls a soft tan/gold...use that deep shade of tan in the rug as guide but you could do a lighter version...maybe rust panels with beefier wood rods. Turquoise accents around the room...a throw, lamp, etc...you could do a rustic coffee or end tables to tie in with the wood ceiling and mix things up a bit. It's going to look great!

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all, for your comments and feedback. As many of you advised I will hold off on the sofa decision until the chair and rug have arrived. And your support makes me feel like I can do it.
    I will wait on the wall color too. Though the existing color may work, I have never actually liked it, it's a bit too cool for me. Most of the other rooms on the first floor are a warm white.
    For tables and lighting, I had been thinking of putting a table at the right end of the sofa in the corner where there is currently a hanging lamp, I would like to replace the hanging lamp which was always just 'temporary' either with another or with a table lamp.
    For the window treatments, I was thinking of roman shades. I feel this pillow could be the inspiration for them

From Den

I think I will go very slowly and try to focus on one element at a time.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

agree with the comments to change the window treatments. I'm not a fan of the one panel look, or actually of curtains in general. Perhaps neat roll up shades, can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot. The orange and turquoise will work well together.

• User
    10 years ago

I don't see a plan for how the pieces already purchased will contribute to your overall vision for the room. I think it's an expensive mistake to start redecorating a room with no idea how it will end up. and the reason so many people remain dissatisfied with a project when it is finished.....just my 1 cent.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

OK who let DS and DH go shopping?!! I think you do have a lot of color but fortunately your home has such lovely bones that you'll pull it off :)

I don't think I'd add any more blue but do like the orange. Here's a quick photoshop of some of the elements.

(How did your dining table light turn out? Please post a picture!).

Best,

oldbat2be

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 9:16

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

And even more color for the room!

Thought - how comfy is the orange sofa and is it too formal for a den (meaning, will you mind shoes on it, food spilled on, etc).

(I've become rather strident about our new 'family room' sofas - somehow, the room became far more formal than I'd originally planned).

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Green walls:

Edited to add that I think your sofa should be fabric of some sort vs. more leather. (My two cents...)

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 9:21

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow- OB2B thank you.
    The sofa is very comfy and we will definitely do it in fabric, not leather. Actually the orangey fabric we looked at is a Crypton fabric so very durable for family room.
    RE the males going shopping, I was physically present, I just got told to 'deal'. I do really like the choices they made, I just find them a little scary. Of course I also got reminded that I got pretty much all my decisions honored everywhere else in the house so I am 'dealing'.
    I will definitely not be adding more blue to the room,and had been leaning toward a sage/olive green or a warm white. Once the rug and chair are here I will paint out samples of those two colors.
    KSWL I appreciate your concern about my lack of a plan. Honestly I don't have a 'vision' for the room unless it is to have a more comfortable space, comfortable in terms of seating. It's not going to be a 'public' space it is our den where we veg, and snuggle.

• decordummy_gw
    10 years ago

Love the mockups that oldbat2be did with the three different wall colours.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I think it’s too much color with the orange sofa. At a certain point it stops looking artsy cool and goes into the circus category. I really love the rug and think it’s perfect for balancing out the strong color of the fantastic ceiling. To me a sofa in one of these colors would look really nice, plus if you need to replace the area rug down the road you have more options.

Not this style but this color with warm colored cool pillows.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Updating this thread to show the arrival of the chair, rug and couch.

From GW Photos
    From GW Photos