Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallymo2015

Slipcovers for dining room chairs---seat only

sallymo2015
12 years ago

I finally decided to tryout some simple slipcovers for my own home. While I've sewn window treatments and various pillows for years I haven't tackled the slipcover territory. I made an ottoman slipcover this weekend that turned out OK, and I had several pictures to look at for inspiration. Now, I'm not finding the pictures of the slipcovered dining chairs I saw on here last year sometime. I've searched some of the blogs and still coming up with no pics. Does anyone remember the person/pictures of the dining room with the seats done in a muslin type fabric (could have been a dropcloth)?

My chairs are the typical queen anne style---padded seat, and I don't care about covering the wooden back, but would like to add a pleated skirt portion to the seat.

Comments (10)

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Hey Sallymo! Hope somebody has pics. That sounds like what I wanted to do to our QA style DR chairs too.

• woodsy_1
    12 years ago

Are these the ones you saw? Of course they'd have to be adapted to fit around the back splat, but that shouldn't be too difficult. The instructions are in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I think it was Miss Mustard Seed's slipcovers you remember. She made them from dropcloths.
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Mustard Seed

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

If it was here that you saw them, try a search for "oyster slipcover."

• sallymo2015
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey thanks everyone.
    Nini, those are lovely, and very well done. Your chairs are very similar to mine. I like the button detail in the back (or it appears there are buttons there).
    Woodsy, those are awesome, too. Not what I had looked at, but I like their style. More button detail, and something I had thought about to keep them from looking too feminine. I'm anxious to read about these.
    I guess the Miss Mustard Seed style is what stuck in my mind, deeinohio, I even searched her site, but obviously not good enough. Thank you for pointing me in that direction.
    I will do that search, franksmom. I like to see everything that is out there, and I know someone on the forum did some for her dining room, first time, and they looked great. They were similar to Miss Mustard Seed's slipcovers.

I'm paring down, every year more and more. I think the lighter color over part of the wood on the chairs will give a fresh look in my dining room. I even pulled the fringe off my drapes, unfortunately, I had fabric glued it on---yrs ago---and it doesn't look so great. The overall look is what I wanted, less fuss, but now to find a simple, flat gimp or ribbon to cover the mess.

Since posting on the forum, I've had a chance to look at my home in a new way, and my "epiphany" was removing all fake ivy, bushes, and still have a few flowery things to go. I do like my fake orchid in a pot, it looks real!

• Letty Point
    12 years ago

It might have been juddgirl2 and her Rachel Ashwell slipcovers.

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

I have always admired the slips on Mary Carol's DR chairs. Scroll down on her blog and you will see a picture of them in her DR decorated for Christmas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nell Hill's

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

My side chairs have oyster linen slips on the seat only. I love the slips because they're so easy to clean in the washer and dryer - no ironing required. They're just feminine enough with the corner pleats.

I don't have access to pics right now but if you search my name and either rachel ashwell or restoration hardware table the post should show up.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind but this is a picture of my chairs. Couldn't find the original post.