Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

Another way to hang WT's

brutuses
15 years ago

I advised a poster the other day on what I thought would look best when hanging her curtains. Sorry, I can't remember your name. You're the one with the beautiful yellow bedroom that you wanted to incorporate blue into. I had suggested the blind be brought up to cover the empty space between the top of the curtain and the blind. Anyway, a photo of what I was trying to explain came to me in a newsletter and I wanted to post it for you to see. Here is the before and after.

Comments (14)

• awm03
    15 years ago

Thanks for the picture Brutuses. It's a great example of how to transform those awkward & graceless picture windows.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

That's exactly what I have in my LR, now I'm doing the same in my DR.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

I wonder where that hits wrt the sides of the windows -- I have some blinds I'd love to do that with, but they're already cut to fit inside the windows. I wonder if I could just bring them up...nah now that I think about it they'd have to be in front of the sides of the windows (as in longer than the inside measurement) because they'd need that width to sit correctly on the window.

Why didn't you post this about 6 months ago?! :)

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

What an amazing difference! I never would have thought of that. I don't have windows like that but if I did I would already be searching for blinds.

15 years ago

Mine are the rice paper blinds from Target. I don't use them so I tucked the cords up and behind them so they're out of site. I just bought 2 more yesterday for my DR, on clearance for $16 each.

• pinkpowertools
    15 years ago

I really like the way that looks too. I never would have thought of that. You learn something new everytime you log on ;)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Brutuses, That was me, with the yellow bedroom. I understood what you meant, but my only problem is that I have sheers underneath my drapes, and with 9' ceilings, the sheers would look strange covering that much expanse of wall if they were hung much higher than they presently are. I can't lengthen the drapes any more to raise them up to hang at ceiling height, and do want to keep these drapes in the room. If I were to remove the sheers and put blinds underneath the drapes, it would present a problem with all the windows and door on the porch side wall, since I don't want blinds covering the windows and french door on that side on the right of the photo. My alternative idea was to raise the sheers up to the same height as the drapes, and make long cornices that come down to cover just the top sections of the window treatments, instead. I just don't think blinds would add to the ambiance of this room, but do like the effect they have on the room you've shown.

{{gwi:1544849}}

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

wow, I love that transformation on that huge picture window. Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the idea. I have a picture window at my summer getaway... might have to try that trick out!! :o)

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Great idea. It looks so rich.

I'm have the same dilemna Flyleft has. My blinds are mounted on the inside of our front window. Hmmmmm. New drapes will be ordered soon.

• pinkpowertools
    15 years ago

Nanny2a- I think you should move the sheers up to the same height as the drapes. I think that will look better visually. It will give the windows some height. And you won't have to use a different window treatment.

I love your room. It looks very inviting- cute doggie!

• debbimc
    15 years ago

Nanny--is the dog a cairn terrier--I have three little sweeties...mine love to hang out in the yard & get dirty as all...&then come in & jump on the furniture--love the room --yellow looks sooo good

15 years ago

Here are mine...

{{gwi:1544850}}

Hard to get a picture with the sun & snow.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Brutuses, great treatment for an ugly picture window!

I hate my picture window. Does anyone have a picture of how to treat a picture window when you have Victorian decor?

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Do you have to move the rod out from the blinds? It appears the blinds are pushing against the blinds in the first photo.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz