Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redphoenix2k1_gw

Boring Dining Room Help!

redphoenix2k1
9 years ago

My inlaws brought up a dining room table that has been in storage for many years that my wife has been wanting since she was 16. I think its a very neat piece due to its robust nature, mill work and shape.

Currently it does not look right in our dining room, even though the wall below the chair rail is the same color as the accents on the chair. The chair upholstery, although not my favorite, I need to deal with it for the mean time.

Something is wrong here and I cannot put a finger on it.

Currently what I am thinking this room needs is an "architectural look" below the chair rail, painted starch white. Then either the above chair rail section stays the off white that it is or gets painted. The nautical themed stuff needs to go and some sort of new light fixture.

People of Garden Web, I need help, because as much as I like the furniture, I cannot stand the room!

Here is a link to the photo bucket for more pictures, excuse the mess, along with the furniture came about 20 other boxes of "childhood memories"...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room Pictures

Comments (49)

• ingeorgia
    9 years ago

The first thing would be to replace the light fixture. I would look for something a bit larger, black iron. I would also paint the top portion of the room a bit darker than it is now. The upholstery seems to go nicely with the green paint and I love that set !

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, very hefty piece of furniture! REally beautiful. The room is not 'heavy' enough for it, IMO.

First thing I'd do is work on the trim to beef it up. Get some really good moulding up there and around the window and the crown.

Then paint: I'd get rid of all white, including the ceiling and blinds.

Under the chair rail, I'd put some paintable wallpaper up to give the wall some texture, then paint over it.

Above the chair rail, I'd paint the wall the same color as below the chair rail, only 30 - 50% lighter. And I'd use a rich earth tone.

Finally, I'd replace the chandelier for a more traditional and robust chandy, maybe something like this, on a dimmer

Here is a link that might be useful: Rect. Chandy

• amykath
    9 years ago

Just a rough mock up for ideas.

I think you should loose the chair rail all together. I think it competes with the details of the table. I would paint the room one solid color. Add curtains and a shade. I just threw in a chandelier I thought was nice. Maybe you could use two round chandeliers since your table is so long. I think round would be nice since the room and table are both rectangular.

Hope it helps!

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

Embrace the Victorian style of the table and chairs: without going over the top with it, redo the room in Victorian style. In general terms, this means deeper colors, an elaborate window treatment, and perhaps low-light plants.

Right now the rest of the room looks like it's trying to be a mixture of contemporary and country, so you'll want to modify those elements.

A chair rail is not particularly Victorian, but wainscoting is, so I would consider putting in some form of dark wainscoting. This could be a paintable wallpaper such as Anaglypta, painted a deep color (even as dark as the wood of the table) with the chair rail painted to match. If the green you have below the chair rail works with the upholstery, consider using it above the rail instead.

I would not go with black iron for the light fixture - it would tend to be either American primitive or Mediterranean. You could consider a crystal chandelier, one that it not too overpowering, or a Tiffany-style pendant lamp.

The window would benefit from millwork, that is, a frame and a windowsill, and a fabric treatment instead of the blind. Heavy velvet doesn't feel right to me; I'd think about silk. Crewel, which would nudge things in an Arts-and-Crafts direction, is also possible.

The carpet isn't doing the chairs any favors. Adding an Oriental rug over it would be something to think about.

A Boston fern hanging in the window, if the conditions are favorable. A parlor palm in the corner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

This post was edited by okmoreh on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 9:31

• graywings123
    9 years ago

There are a few things that are discordant to my eyes - the chair rail with no molding around the window and the popcorn ceiling. And then there is the builder-grade chandelier.

I don't know how much work and/or expense you want to invest in this room - it looks like you are just moving in. A less expensive approach would be to paint both the chair rail and the wall above the chair rail the same color as below, change out the chandelier, and add fairly formal drapes and sheers to the window, thus covering the lack of molding, and adding a piece of large artwork to the long wall.

A larger investment would be to remove the popcorn from the ceiling, place molding around the window, drapes, chandelier, and fancy, elegant wallpaper above the chair rail.

That is a lovely table and chair set. To me, it drives the room to darker, richer tones.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The furniture looks very tuscan to me...so here's the direction I would go in....not this exactly, but pieces....

{{gwi:2136910}}

The fabric on the chairs looks great. I'd leave it.

Get rid of the chair rail entirely. It is too traditional, insubstantial, and it shortens the room when you need height. Instead, add a hefty crown molding and add substantial molding around the window. If you could leave it stained woodwork instead of paint, that'd be great.

Do you need the door in the dining room? If not, then eliminate it and turn it into a doorway instead, again with hefty molding.

Then either paint the walls in a deep warm color, or get a textured wall paper.
    {{gwi:2136911}}

Put a drape on the window with a substantial fabric....could be solid or print.

{{gwi:2136912}}

[Rustic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2111) by Phoenix General Contractors R.J. Gurley Custom Homes

Then add a "curly" metal chandelier over the table. (Bottom of chandy should be 30" above the table top.) Just make sure it isn't too high for the ceiling. Especially in a room like this where the style wants to be grand, but the room is less so.

{{gwi:2136913}}

The artwork should continue with the wood tones and the warm wall colors. Your room will be transformed and you will love the furniture even more when it looks to be in the right space.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The table is currently too heavy to compete with the lack of detail architecture in the room, so something should be done to beef up the room itself. That might be accomplished with more elaborate drapery. Or wainscot could be added to the room along with a chandelier that will coordinate better with the table and chairs.

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie. That first picture took my breath away. The room needs some tasteful drama. She caught it just right. JMHO

• redphoenix2k1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input so far. We are heading to a lighting place to get some ideas.

What about Wainscoting below the chair rail and some sort of red/earthy color paint above it? I agree with removing the doors, putting on hefty crown molding. What about ceiling tiles, since it has popcorn on it now? Just trying to look at all avenues.

Thanks!

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think the chair rail creates an odd division of space and it needs to be beefed up to handle that table. If you want to do waincostting I would take it up pretty high on the walls as shown in the mock up. It needs to be beefy (in height) to be able to compete well with the large beefy table and chairs.

• peegee
    9 years ago

What's going on in the rest of your house? Will the dining room changes be able to set the tone for the other spaces or at least blend in, or will this room be an anomaly? I also think a look similar to Annie's #1 supports your beautiful new furnishings.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Before you do anything, does this type of furniture blend well with what you have in the rest of the area around it because, if not, then beefing it up will make it look so out of place. There has to be some continuity. I can't see doing molding on one room and make it so different that the rest of the house is out of sync. You need to think clearly about this as , yes, you could make a lovely room but it may not work with what you have and stick out like a showcase, that's my only concern.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

I would want two light fixtures over that wonderful table. It is a pretty easy to DIY project to do that. But, the long rectangle one posted before would be my second choice. And, definitely some great drapes. I don't like chair rails in general, but the suggestion to paper and paint below the rail basically the same color sounds interesting.

Beautiful table - I am sure it will bring you many wonderful dining memories.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Yes, I'd like to know more about the house too....I think the easiest thing would be dramatic colors on the walls, change out light fixture, rich drapery, nice rug, big art.

But then I wonder because of your mention of architectural white...does your decorating style skew contemporary? I almost feel like this could go in a quite contemporary room if you really wanted to go there, but it would likely be more difficult?

{{gwi:2136914}}

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Tara Seawright

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I would definitely remove the chair rail first. You need to create height in the room to accommodate such heavy furniture. The current chair rail brings the ceiling down. That's where I would start. Then paint the walls a rich color, change out chandelier and add beefy drapes and I think you'll see an immediate improvement.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love the "Tea" color on the walls in Annie's first pic.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Here's a thought: If you have a family room, and living room isn't important, switch rooms...if the LR is larger. Would be especially nice if l.r. Has a fireplace. Otherwise, I agree with those who feel it would look strange for one room in the house to have upgraded architectural elements, while the remainder stays plain. If I'd just moved in, the first thing I'd do is eliminate the popcorn throughout. Then, add mouldings, etc.. as you are able, but evenly.
    Back to the set itself, the fabric is lovely, but adds to the heavy, Victorian or Tuscan feel. Lighten it with a fabric or leather/faux leather as in the robotropolis example. Also, mimic that extra large art piece, keeping it bright and behind glass for reflection. Oh, and curtains filling the back wall as aktillery suggests.

• redphoenix2k1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

We moved in 1.5 years ago but have not really set a theme. Our bedroom follows the darker wood color with earth tones and it works really well.

The great room which attaches to it does not have a set theme yet either ( this is the room I am standing in for the pictures when I am not in the dining room). The room with the double doors connected to it in the pictures is a living room/game, however it has a beautiful matching china cabinet and some other similar furniture pieces. Whatever theme that happens in the dining room will carry into the living room/game room.

To sum it up, we don't have a set style and now that we have started to collect furniture, it is time to start making things cohesive.

Basically I am hearing 2 things with the chair rail, but since it does split the room in half, it is not really a good thing. Although without removing it, the textured wall paper below it is very interesting.

I may go ahead and take out a leaf and 2 chairs (pending I can find places to hide everything) to make the room not seem so cramped.

Thank you everyone for the ideas, it has really helped me.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Dining rooms are often more formal spaces and the room to "put on the dog" so I have no problem with trimming it out more substantially than other rooms...though you may like it enough to keep it going.

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

Agree with removing chair rail. The centerpiece is the dining set.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I generally dislike the faded-elegance furniture from the 1990s. However on this set, I am not in complete hate with the upholstery, which seems to have just the right amount of faded and glory (from the photo). A set like this can be a lot of fun, but trying to make it too baronial or stodgy, as they did 15 years ago, would be a mistake, I think.

Nothing but the floor is working in this room. The circular wall collage is eating up it's space and really wants more elbow room. I am not a fan of clocks in a room, like a dining room, where you might expect to enjoy a leisurely dinner that escapes the constraints of time.

In any choices you make, I would encourage you to go a wee bit fanciful, What I might describe as a restrained mad hatters tea party. I am not saying go silly and all stage set, but if you are choosing between one wrought iron light fixture and another -I'd encourage you to think of the one that is a more exuberant or stylish and reject the one that is more baronial. The colors on the walls that AnnieDeighnaugh shows (ochre, olive) are heaver and a good direction. I also like the lighter flooring in her first example. But the textured walls (Venetian plaster) and Persian carpet might date the table too much (1992 called and they want their table back!). The room robotropolis shows has the right mix of fanciful and fancy.

I am blown away by beverly27's mock up. I have seen that type of tall wainscot done quite inexpensively on recent diy shows. It can be done more expensively with a plane cap (or no cap) and no extra cove molding. I also like the height she shows for it and the darker wall above, but I don't know if I would go white or off white below.

My first impression is the same as Tibbrix, the room isn't heavy enough. This could be a good room for plush curtains.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Install Tall WAINSCOTING

This post was edited by Lilylore on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 4:22

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the chair rail, but I'd strip it and stain itâ¦or get a new one and just stain it, if you want a chair rail. Some moulding under the chair rail..or, as I suggested, paintable wallpaper, would be very nice in there.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Love the style and room robo posted.

I think you need to decide on a style, find an inspiration room - that works with the whole house- and go from there before deciding on individual elements like chair rails.
    Consider the room a blank slate except for the furniture, which I like.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Let's see:

a)Yes -- to a strong-lined dark iron chandelier -- it would really change the feel of the whole room

b)Yes -- a vote to remove the chair rail -- and go for the DIY tall flat-board moldings with stronger top moldings -- with a simple creamy white to cover the new paneling, walls and ceiling.

I've included a link to a paneling DYI project -- just click on the photo -- follow the link to the blog posting ....

c)Yes -- remove the door --

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Panelling inspiration photo

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Here's the final link for the project.

How To: The Paneled Wall by Decor Chick
    Here is the link that might be useful: DIY: Wall Paneling Step by Step.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think that DR is too small for paneling.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I like the first pic posted by AnnieD because the colours seem right with the table.

Beverly: I think your suggestion of heavy drapery is probably a better option than the paneling, no? I would think that paneling would have to be a darker colour to match the table, and then you're stuck with a whole bunch of dark paneling in your dining room (that likely doesn't match with the rest of the house).

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps if the OP just wanted to paint the full walls (with or without the chair rail -- and a vote here to take away the chair rail) -- maybe this deep rich tone would work with the fabric?

Yes -- curtains would look wonderful too! :)

Also check out Benjamin Moore Roxbury Caramel (HC-42)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Autumn Gold 2152-30

• lilylore
    9 years ago

As a kind of experiment I slapped some paint on beverly27's mock up.I am unsure how to add the graduated tints in my photo editor, I use it more like a coloring book, filling in colors.

I wanted to see how a reverse coloring would look in this room, going from a light color rug, say like one in the robotropolis example up to the dark color in bev's mock up. This is obviously just a crude sketch to get a feeling for the tonalities. I wasn't sure if the dark part on the floor was the actual flooring and the rest was carpet?

I added curtains from a medium tone color I picked up from the upholstery, I think a more reddish brown would work better but I didn't want to use the ruby color of the pillow. The paneled wall color could probably be a shade or two lighter, even. I did that color first and wanted to leave enough tone difference for the carpet, but when I colored in the floor, I saw that the wall could go lighter in this kind of scheme, but I didn't want to go back and recolor it. And the curtains could be darker: Just an idea to share.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 17:05

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Tandoori

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, but I really don't like the high wainscoting. It simply doesn't go with the style of furniture at all, imho. And I'm not liking the pale wall color either. The furniture and fabric really need some coordinating color with body, otherwise it sticks out too much.

Apologizing in advance for my poor mock up skills...using keynote on the mac...

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 17:49

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie. I don't know whether wainscoting goes with the style of the furniture because the style of the furniture seems up for debate. But to my eye, the high wainscoting doesn't go with the style of the house if the ceiling and window are indications of the house style.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Like buttah

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

another

• still_lynnski
    9 years ago

When someone invents a DIY treatment for popcorn ceilings that doesn't involve pulling it all down, they will make a bloody fortune. Textured stencils, maybe? Melanie Royals, are you listening?

This room will be gorgeous with the changes everyone has suggested, but looking up will always be a downer.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So why not put the paintable wallpaper up over the popcorn ceiling and paint it?

• peegee
    9 years ago

I like Tibbrix's 2nd if you want to go the chair rail route, or again with Annie's eye for the ochre-like plain deeper tone walls.
    I feel paneling does not in any way enhance what you have and adds a cluttered effect which competes with the tall chairs. The lovely substantial set is crying out for balance from deeper toned walls.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I would get rid of the chair rail and a big no to the wainscoting. I agree that a deep wall color is in order and a beautiful drapery in a deep color.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

When we redid our house a few years ago, the contractors just covered up the popcorn ceiling with gyprock. Yes you will lose whatever height depending on the thickness of the gyprock used but it's a whole lot easier than taking it down. Where I live there is also the fear of asbestos in the popcorn ceiling.

Your dining room table and chairs are gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the room.

ok my 2cents worth seeing as how there is a lot of contradictory advice I'll throw in mine as well.

As I said your table is beautiful with the edging detail and the banding on the table top and there is a pattern on the table top itself with the way the stain flows. Your chairs also have a lot of detail on the backs and the upholstery so with that in mind I think that the chair rail and any wainscotting are detail overkill, will take over the room and take away from what your wife loves about the table.

My suggestion is to take off the chair rail, beef up the baseboards a bit to help support the strength of the table, get a simple but curvy chandelier to enhance the curves of the table edge detail and the chairs.

As for painting the room find a colour that complements the room and Then get drapes in a tone on tone stripe in a silk or linen that add to the richness of the table. I would look at colours that complement the room and chair upholstery but at the same time is a colour that you and your wife really like. It sounds like the chairs may be reupholstered at some point and if it's sooner rather than later then having used a colour that you already like will save you from having to repaint or buy new drapes.

Oh, and remove the doors.

This post was edited by blfenton on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 14:10

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think it depends on the popcorn...sometimes they can spray it with water and just scrape it off...if you're lucky that is.

• redphoenix2k1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the awesome ideas. We have a lot to think about and play with. I will keep you guys and gals posted!

• Belleandjune
    9 years ago

Yes I am completely agree with you as you are thinking that you have to do some architectural work in your dinning room.

You can also make some changes with paints and wooden works. Maybe that can improve your dinning room beauty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative Cachepots and Planters

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

spam

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Spammer with poor spelling. Shocking. Dinning, ugh,

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

As you have a big window from where great amount of sunlight is engulfing the room so light fixture can be removed from there. Instead three or four LED bulbs can make the room look classic. One more thin an Aubusson rug under the dining table will make the ambience look grand and captivating.

• massagerocks
    9 years ago

our rooms lack architectural detail. When we moved in my husband installed chair rail molding in everywhere. We liked it when we had sparse furnishings. But now that we have a house full of furniture (advice: have a general Plan or style in mind so your house ends up cohesive as you said)....some of our rooms are too small for the chair rail..its distracting and adds clutter.
    I'm not a designer, but to my eye, your room appears narrow and the highwainscotting idea adds to that and makes the room look even narrower. I think the room is too small for chair molding as well, and w/o a crown molding the chair rail looks lost. The darker color paints look great, but keep in mind the lighting the room receives if the room is visible to you during the daytime.

• cran
    9 years ago

I know for sure that that dining room won't be boring after all the wonderful suggestions. Our dining is small but opens to other rooms with the high wainscoting it reminded of some of the mock ups

• cran
    9 years ago

not sure why the pic is upside down I think if I post it again it will be the same. Any advise please?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Are you posting from your phone? (When I click on it, it is correct).

You can edit your post replacing the photo.
    If you have photo on your desktop, it will be right orientation.