Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

I thought I had found the perfect dishes

msrose
15 years ago

I saw these dishes in a ad and fell in love with them, so I went to Dillards to check them out and the dinner plates were so small. Does anyone know of anything similar that has a normal size plate. The only color I don't want is blue.

Johnson Brother Old Britain Castles

{{gwi:1543493}}

Laurie

Comments (15)

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Laurie, those are just beautiful. I love transferware and have lots of it. Spode makes some really good ones in red, as well as in brown/multi (their Woodland patterns). They also have a couple of "castle" patterns that come in red (as well as the more popular blue.) Just tried to go on their website and it wasn't coming up. I bought most of my Spode by mail directly from their factory outlet in the UK, where they sell seconds for a fraction of the price. Hope they still do that now that things have changed (they have switched a lot, unfortunately, to manufacture in China.)

Here's the last email address I had for them
    shop@spode.co.uk

My neice has gotten a lot of her spode on ebay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spode website that may not work anymore

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

IDK... the dinner plates you show are 10".
    That seems plenty large enough for me.

"Does anyone know of anything similar that has a normal size plate."
    What size are you looking for? What do you consider 'normal'?

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

luann, I think I've seen those Johnson Bros plates and they did seem a bit diminutive for some reason, though not sure why.

The Spode plates seem normal to me.
    Spode also has one that Williams-Sonoma carried a couple Christmases ago, it is oversized (continental size?) I got them for a song from Spode factory store, but think they are now discontinued. They have red transferware around the edges with something that looks like berries, etc., and a white center.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

"The Spode plates seem normal to me."
    The Spode Camilla Pink plates are 10.5"... not much difference.

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really don't know what the normal size is, so I just did a google search and found some range from 10 1/2 - 11 1/8.
    I just know that these looked really small in person.

bigdoglover - Thanks! The website seems to be working now. I didn't see the castle pattern in the red though. The pattern I like the best is the blue one, but I'm just not a blue person. The Camilla pink is pretty.

Laurie

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

never mind, I found the red castle ones on ebay. It says they are 10 3/8.

Laurie

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Laurie, the plates you originally found are probably their luncheon plates. I have a set of (very old) Johnson Bros. in their Malaga pattern with the scalloped edges, and have both the dinner and luncheon plates with it. The luncheon plates are about that size. Another place to find more of this Old Britain Castles set is on the Goodwill auction site. I see pieces on there a lot.
    Lynn

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lynn - That would be great if they came in a bigger size. I'll look around and see what I can find.

I came across a set at Penneys that looks just like these except the brand is Wedgewood instead of Johnson Brothers. The plate is listed as 10.5" which really isn't that much different, but I'm just curious to know if someone is imitating these or if Wedgewood is a branch of Johnson Brothers.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Penney's dishes

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay, it looks like I found the luncheon plate and it's 9". Drats!

Laurie

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Also look for 'Buffet plates' or 'Chargers' to get some larger sizes.

And I heartily second the Ebay recommendation!

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Sometimes a plate will just *seem* small for whatever reason -- maybe the way the lip of it is configured, or the scallops dipping in might be making it seem so. You can only go by how something feels. If you get something from ebay and that pattern is sight unseen, you might want to just get one to start with. I third ebay. Got a lot of mine there too... was on a regular transferware binge there for awhile! Those gorgeous plates can be addictive. One thing that is so wonderful about them, is that you can mix and match patterns and colors, like toiles.

• harriethomeowner
    15 years ago

There was a set of dishes I was about to order from someplace, but then I checked the size and they were too big to fit in our cabinets! I think they were 12", and our cabinets are exactly 12" deep. I think "normal" is between 10 1/2 and 11".

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Go to T.J.Maxx or Marshalls I have seen those dishes by Johnson Brothers or Spode. The plates are very large. I am not sure of the exact pattern ( castle) but I bet you can find them or something close. They sell for $12.99 a plate. I have girlfriends that have bought them, they were blue. But I have seen them in Pink many times.

Good Luck.....Jane

• claireanne
    15 years ago

I have the Johnson Bros plate (the one on the right side)in your picture and it measures 10". This plate is a little smaller than my white Johnson Bros, but I really like its delicate appearance. Good suggestion re TJ Maxx and Marshalls, Home Goods, maybe too. I really think the price is quite a bit lower though, no more than $5.99. I saw several of these plates there very recently, I'll check out the price...I'm in So. Ca.

Claire

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I went to Marshalls today and they didn't have the plates, but they did have the bowls which were only $2.99. They were more shallow than the ones we have now, so I'm thinking I need to try and fall out of love with these dishes. On another note, I just bought this book that has similar bowls in a brown color that would be great if they happen to be bigger, but I haven't come across any like this yet.

Laurie

{{gwi:1543497}}