Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Would you use these 3 rugs together?

Sueb20
9 years ago

I'm going to have to post 3 pics separately. Now that I've been stuck at home for 3 days (stomach bug + Juno), I'm looking for a new rug for my front entry. The size I need is about 3x5. Two rugs are visible from the foyer: living room and dining room. I do have a fairly eclectic style and don't like things that are too matchy, but sometimes I get shy about mixing patterns.

First, the rug I saw on Etsy.

Comments (36)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is my living room rug.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is the dining room rug. (Both are flat weave rugs. I don't want a flat weave in the foyer.)

If you think the etsy rug is a miss, what would you suggest instead?

The foyer is pretty neutral: beige walls and terra cotta color tiles (very similar in color to the red oak flooring that is elsewhere). I do have a runner on the stairs...will post a pic in a while, but it's not a busy pattern.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes.

Persian style rugs always go together. A friend of mine has multiple Persian rugs all over his open-floor plan, rugs he's bought on travels - all different colors and patterns. It looks great. In fact, I thin Persians are the one style of rug where matching doesn't work at all. Makes them look cheaper, IMO, factory made, etc. It's the individuality of them that gives them their jois d'vivre.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would not use the Etsy rug. I don't think it is complementary to the other two.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I like it. I wouldn't put them right next to each other, but they're just in adjoining rooms. Go for it!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Exactly what Tibbrix said.

• amykath
    9 years ago

It's ok. If you LOVE. It, I think it could work.

Here is one from overstock that has some lovely colors.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

I like it Sue. It will look great on your terra cotta tiles. Put me in the mix and match Persian camp, particularly because they are not in the same room. Complimentary colors are the key and you have that.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Here's our mish mash of rugs: Bidgar in DR and on stairs, front hall rug is one we have had forever. This is storm central with boots and hats ready to go for round 5 of shoveling the front walk.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I wouldn't order the etsy rug either... i would want it to be more harmonious with the other rugs...
    i also would need to see the rug in person and see it with the other rugs before i could buy... really hard on line, imo!

• sophiesmummie
    9 years ago

Too many new colors, and too dissimilar a pattern on the proposed rug--a lot of activity on a relatively small size, I think. It would hide the inevitable entryway dirt, though.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I'd get the etsy one.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

akt, the rug you posted has similar colors to what I have there now and I just feel sort of 'meh' about it.

I may just order the etsy rug and if it doesn't work in the foyer, I can use it elsewhere. But first, a silly exercise I often use when I'm trying to decide -- I'm going to print out the rug pic and carry it around the area(s) in question. Maybe tape it to the front door and look at it for a while.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like this one too. Of course it's twice the price.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, it's me again. Just realizing the pic of my dining room rug is pretty misleading. Here it is IRL.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, had to get Photobucket involved.

DR rug.
    {{gwi:2136796}}

Snippet of LR rug.
    {{gwi:2136797}}

Runner on stairs, very close to where new rug will live.
    {{gwi:2136798}}

New potential rug.
    {{gwi:2136799}}

Orig. potential rug.
    {{gwi:2136800}}

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I prefer the new potential rug over the original potential rug. It looks great, according to the pics you posted, against the runner.

• selcier
    9 years ago

Oh! I really like potential rug #2 - the colors really go along with what you've already got.

• cran
    9 years ago

I love the new potential rug, but it is different than your others.. Your current rugs seem to have a lighter background and do well together. I think the new darker one may not go as well. But I do love it.

• bac717
    9 years ago

I LOVE the new potential rug. I think it's perfect with the existing rugs and the runner. Go for it!

• cran
    9 years ago

Here are some of mine with similar background colors.

• User
    9 years ago

Rug obsessive here with lots of mis-matched rugs from Iran. The second prospect works much more harmoniously in terms of both color and pattern. I also prefer the design, it looks more authentic to me.

But somehow I always like the more expensive ones - I've been trying to buy a runner for my kitchen for 6 months, and the more I look, the higher my price range seems to go....

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

They all go and the more diff the design the better. Similarity makes it like matchy - matchy furniture sets

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I really like the etsy one, but your 12:09 choice works better imho

• User
    9 years ago

I love your rugs. I really like both the new potential rugs. I think the second one looks a little more matchy with your existing ones. I don't think that's a bad thing. I think I prefer the first one though.

• Irish2
    9 years ago

I vote for your 2nd choice. IMHO it "plays well together".

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I LOVE potential #2! That is a beautiful rug. May I ask the name and manufacturer? I think it would look great in my foyer.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly, both rugs are antique (supposedly) rugs from etsy.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I agree with Tibbrix.
    I also think either of your choices with work with what you already have.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love potential 2, too!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Waaaah. Just double checked and it's just a bit too big. The right size is 3x5 or even a bit longer, but can't go wider than 3' and this rug is 3.5'. Darn. Okay, it wasn't meant to be. Continuing the search.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Well good luck - you are clearly on the right track. I think all 3 looked great together!

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

If you can dare to be more adventurous then layering these Persian rugs can also be tried at least in the living room. This will give a entire new look to your spaces.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

First Etsy choice goes better with stair runner, IMO, but she nce i like the second one better i would have chosen it had it not been too big. I think you should keep looking.

Nothing like a couple of days at home to make you notice its flaws......i just realized yesterday that our laundry room fan still has one of those awful 3 light fixtures attached to the fan. I actually hadnt realized it was there, depsite declaring war on those kind of fan lights years ago and erradicating them like pests from other rooms! (I guess I'm revealing how often I am in the laundry room, lol)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thanks Sue. Sorry potential #2 didn't work out for you. It would be too small for my foyer but it sure is a lovely rug!

• kevinmark
    9 years ago

The Persian styled rugs are always preferred by floor art lovers. However I don't see anything intricately carved medallions. Please don't mind it but yes I have seen some real gems that are reflected through traditional carvings of meandering vines patterns in vivid colours.