Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
massagerocks_gw

is this normal? Ballard Designs

massagerocks
10 years ago

i have limited experience with online catalog ordering. Back in November I fell in love with a small chandelier from Ballards that was perfect for the room I'm re-doing. I ordered about 8 rug swatches and the light. There was no indication when I placed my order that the light was backorder. My swatches came, but no light. No explanation invoice in the box. I've never received any emails from Ballards except promotional ones! Nothing ever regarding my order. I did check all my em boxes. I looked up my order online and the shipping date for the light was listed as 2/24/14, a full 3 months away. I've sent several emails to customer service, but have never received a reply. I'm HOH and do not use the phone. Is this standard practice? Dont places usually indicate something is on backorder or at least notify you of such at the time of order? The light still consistently appears in the many catalogs I've received since then as if its readily available.

Comments (12)

• zen4d
    10 years ago

It is unusual that they wouldn't tell you it's on back order. Can you have someone call on your behalf and ask for an update on the status? By they way, have you checked Lamps Plus? They usually have everyone's lamps at a discounted price.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I think that's terrible -- and not normal. they must have a customer service email and/or Contact Us page. I would cancel the order and look elsewhere. That 2/24 date could be just a big guess too and might be bumped again.

It is probably delayed from the manufacturer. Ballards is just a middle man. When I was in the market for lights recently, I was amazed that whatever I saw in pricey catalogs or brick and mortar stores, was also available at Amazon at better prices if you know the model number. You could still run into inventory issues, but they will not let the order go through if it is out of stock. I think most of amazon's lighting is through their secondary market, but some of it was directly through Amazon too.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

The same thing happened to us when we placed out order for a piece of furniture. I called them and they said I could cancel my order or wait.

When we finally received our order, I was not impressed with the quality at all. I own my share of PB and Crate and Barrel stuff, so I was surprised with my Ballards experience at all levels.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I had a similar experience the first time I ordered a fixture. I guess someone ahead of me ordered the last one and we had a back order. I can't remember now if I got the first back order in the order confirmation or a later email, but it wasn't noted inthe item description at the time. It was later. The expected shipping date was extended, and extended again. And again, and I cancelled the order and figured I'd find something else. We didn't, so I ordered again -- and again, it was back ordered and I kept looking while we waited. The shipping time kept getting pushed back, but just about the time I was ready to give up and cancel, it shipped. The fixture arrived with two well-packed parts damaged, so it was apparently shipped to them that way. We returned it and waited on a third back order. The date got pushed back and when it arrived, the wood finish was darker than the photo or the earlier fixture and there was exposed wiring at the frame opening. We returned it, and having spent the better part of a year trying to get that fixture, gave up.

Ballard accepted the returns and we did have notice of all but the first back order when we looked at the item description. My problem was not with their service but with the inventory control and the manufacturer's quality control. I also had quality issues with a table top order so I am not nearly as likely to try ordering from them in the future. I wondered if my experience was that unusual too.

• User
    10 years ago

I had a much better experience with Ballard lately. I ordered a banquette during their big November sale. It did take about a week longer than they originally indicated but they informed me via email. And then when I called to reconfirm, they followed up by phone and email. I got a call from the shippers the day after it formally shipped; they were all ready to deliver it the next day. I'm really happy with the quality; it's more comfortable than I expected, and my family actually likes it too. The only issue is that I ordered in the one Sunbrella neutral color that I didn't have a swatch for, and the actual color is probably a we bit lighter than I expected. But in the end, I think that was a plus, and it looks great with the cabinet and countertop samples that I've been planning around.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I've ordered furniture (counter stools, banquette) and some other items (garden stool, fabric, chandelier shades) and have had no issues. I agree though, you should get an email with a confirmed shipping date and an update when there is a significant change.

I believe most of these places, amazon included, have much of their merchandise direct shipped from the manufacturer. The manufacturer will even use their labels and boxes. They may still warehouse and inventory some items, but for others, it is a "drop ship". And even where they have a local inventory hub, the stock is not likely very high.

I've had a similar problem with a small console table I ordered from another large site -- the ship date was pushed back twice. .

This post was edited by gooster on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 13:39

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

This has become more of an issue with so many online storefronts offering product through other resources. And we don't usually know which product is from where. Amazon has gone to so many now (along with individuals), I have become hesitant on a number of items. And try to cancel an order...they are so darn quick that once you hit order it is on it's way....in most cases. They want that sale and there is no going back, small print says too bad, it's yours.

Many other known large stores we have shopped at on land are merged online too.

I wonder if the outside resources are given the responsibility of the emails via the primary sellers' email and they just don't do it. This is a simple example, but ordered parts for an appliance from Sears and no confirmation emails of any type. The order did get here in 2 days with no shipping costs, but only to receive one item and the order slip inside showing the other two were no longer available, What the heck am I going to do with one part that needs 3 to work? The package showed it was shipped from an outside parts supplier I'm familiar with. After calling other places I found they are available, just not from them.

A lot of the ordering is becoming less customer oriented with what they call "Lights Out" warehousing. All robotic with few humans involved. I don't think a human even reads the order from start to finish in these arenas.

Have ordered from Ballard and no problems, but didn't involve furniture. It would be difficult to stick with an order that continues to be backordered once found and wanted.
    Disappointed to know Ballard may be using outside resources too. At least that is what it sounds like. Maybe these "stores' will find they need to rethink their strategy. Saving on warehousing may be a saving for us, definitely for them, but the service goes downhill. And if you knew the outside source, the price of the item would most likely be less.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Just went to the Better Business Bureau website and was a little surprised at the rating for Ballards. They're catalog presence is so impressive but it looks like there have been some complaints regarding their service and products

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB - Ballard Designs

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had someone call for me yesterday. Explained that there was no indication when I placed the order that it was backordered, that I never received a confirmation email, and that I never received a reply to my 4 email inquiries. The person confirmed shipping date of 2/27 (order was placed 11/14/13), the person apologized, but gave no explanations. This is called Customer Service? What's sad is that so many very nice furniture and lighting stores in my area have closed down, too much competition from online vendors. So where does that leave us?

• patricianat
    10 years ago

When we outsourced America, we outsourced customer service, because that is what made America great, businesses caring about their customers.

When the manufacturing went abroad, so did the caring and customer service. People in business today are middle men selling and hawking for cheap (and many times child) third-world labor.

• baba45
    7 years ago

I have used Ballard Designs for years. We are building a new home and I have used it more than usual this year. I have received as many as three duplicates of orders, had them shipped to the wrong address, had the order "lost". Cancelled items have been shipped after cancellation. Customer service will tell you anything but it takes several phone calls to straighten out the mistake. Very Frustrating!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Sixteen years ago, I ordered the "perfect" mirror from the catalog. Not told it was back-ordered but it didn't come. Called - back-ordered but assured that I would "really and truly" receive the item. Back-order date came and went - no mirror. Called - back-order date had been moved forward a further 3 months. Date came, no mirror. Called again and they apologized but said it would not be coming at all. SIX MONTHS I waited for a mirror that they surely knew might never come!!!! They sent me a $25 gift certificate to "make it up" to me.

A month later, we were on Amelia Island celebrating my husband's 60th Bday. We had a couple of hours to kill before our flight so we went to the Plantation Shop on Amelia. In a back room where all the odds and ends were on sale, there on the floor under a table was THE MIRROR! I was ecstatic - and it was $100 less than from Ballard (distinctive enough that I absolutely knew it was the same mirror - carved wood with birds). So, wrapped in bubble wrap, if flew back with me to Manchester NH and on in the car to Maine and later back in the car to KY. A very well-traveled mirror, but it's perfect in my powder room. Last order I've ever placed at Ballard other than one for a doormat to use my gift certificate.