Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busybme

Crown on Vaulted Ceilings?

busybme
14 years ago

I have several rooms in my home with vaulted or cathedral ceilings. My trim carpenter says that the corner angles are very difficult/time consuming to do and suggests that we use corner blocks instead of 'mitering' the crown itself.

We have used these corner blocks in other rooms but, now that we are working on the public and more formal areas of the house, I really would prefer not to. For some reason, I think that they give sort of a whimsical look to the trim, and that is not what I am going for.

How have you guys handled crown in rooms with wierd angles? I would love to see pictures! Thanks.

Sandy

Comments (18)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I would lean towards not using crown molding in a room with a vaulted ceiling.

• busybme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why do you say that, graywings? Do you not like the look of crown on that type of ceiling?

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I like how crown molding dresses up and divides the walls from the ceiling in a traditional setting. A vaulted ceiling has its own architectural interest and doesn't need to be dressed up. With exceptions, it seems an inappropriate use of the molding.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

We have cathedral ceilings but with cedar beams, so no crown. Like Graywings, I prefer the look of vaulted ceilings on their own. To add crown would separate the areas and isn't what was intended.

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

I agree. We have a cathedral ceiling, no crown. I think with a vaulted ceiling, crown would only serve to draw attention to the asymmetry.
    Dee

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

I've been doing a lot of research on Cape Cod interiors and have noticed that a lot of them don't have crown. The do have odd ceiing angles due to the way the roof and windows are built. The ones with crown don't seen to look as modern. I guess it just depends on the look you are after. I think you have to look at one room at a time and try to imagine where the crown would go and what would happen at weird angles.

• busybme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

We took a second look at the crown vs. no crown option and have decided to proceed with the crown. My trim carpenter took a bit of time this morning and has figured out how to do the corners without a block, so that is good for me.

I will post pictures once he gets some of it up and you all can vote on whether I have made a decorating error or not! : )

Sandy

• parma42
    14 years ago

I think it depends what your vaults are like.

If they're plain Jane, like mine, they could use some embellishing.
    In the model of our living room, they did stained crown. The rather barren pic is from when we had just moved in. Excuse the temporary CL seating.

In any case, a trim carpenter's job is to miter corners.

Sorry, resized pic but it didn't seem to take.

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy....We've lived in our current home in California for ten years and happily just added crown and repainted the living/dining/foyer area. For some odd reason, builders here don't add crown like you see in more traditional homes elsewhere in the country. They also seem to be afraid of color and tend to paint most rooms different shades of white. We have the dreaded vaulted ceilings with some very unattractive angles also....builders call them dramatic and I call them cold and drafty. Anyway, I wanted moulding for ten years and it now seems to complete the room for me....
    {{gwi:1542910}}

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Cathedral ceilings here in the middle of the house (great room, dining room, etc.) and no crown.

tina

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

vaulted slanted ceiling here in my family room, with dark stained beams already. I think crown in the places we COULD put it would look a bit odd and a bit of an overkill. Why not dress up or go wider with your casings or baseboards?

• cheryl217
    14 years ago

I have a small dining room, three steps down from the kitchen...my brother remodeled for me and even though I couldn't find even one picture with molding on a cathedral ceiling, he managed to do it...what little space was between the boards he filled in with wood putty and painted...

• nhb22
    14 years ago

I guess I'll be the odd "lady" out and admit to having crown on vaulted ceilings at our previous home. Wouldn't have had it any other way. :)

In the formal living room, we used the corner blocks capped with a traditional rosette (the same one we used on the fireplace.) Don't know if you can see in this photo, but along the walls, we had a "ledge" of molding built.

For the sunroom, we used the traditional corner blocks (with the same rosette's,) and also the mitered crown.

One suggestion if you didn't go with the crown, is to build up other architectural details to your room. We did so to our windows - even though we also had the crown - because we felt the wall was lacking substance because of the high ceilings.

begoniagirl - Your new molding looks wonderful, as does your walls.

• straitlover
    14 years ago

I went to the local home show a year or so ago. One of the booths was selling ths kit for doing all those complicated crown molding cuts. It wasn't cheap, but your carpenter might be interested in buying it to use on yours and other jobs. I don't remember the name, but I will do a Google search and post if I find it.

• straitlover
    14 years ago

I found it. It is called the Cut n Crown. I've never used it nor have any interest/dealings with the company. I just saw it at the show, and it looked neat/useful. If you're interested in seeing, just put .com after the name (don't know if I can post a link since it wasn't specifically asked for and don't want to get in trouble!).

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

Shoot, I'll link everything......Is this a no-no ??

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cutncrown.com/

• nhb22
    14 years ago

That could be something my new son-in-law could use for adding molding to his new home. I cannot find a price?

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Prices are under products and accessories.