Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Something between BM Edgecomb and Titanium...

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi all!

I'm looking for a warm, light, very neutral khaki grey for my first floor.

I had picked BM Titanium 2141-60 and thought it was perfect but now I'm worried -- it's seeming sweet blue grey, almost cool, when what I want is a very warm feel.
The pic below shows it with things representing my two tone cabs (pug is standing in for the black), natural maple and birch (floor and butcherblock), tiny Caesarstone sample (Alpine white) and backsplash tiles (Fauxroccan and big subway).

We first picked Edgecomb Grey as The One but in our blue Northern light it's pulling a bit tan/pink and we're not huge fans.

We have a neutral cream similar to BM Mayonnaise throughout now and it feels too yellow to me, so I think I like green undertones better than yellow.

So I'm going back to the paint store this morning for testers -- what should I put on the list? November Rain? Moonlight white? Athena?

Here are some others we tried:

Revere P -- too dark
Stonington -- too cold
Moonshine, grey owl -- too grey
Silken Pine, Horizon - omg so blue

Anything I should put on the list? Thanks very much for your help!

Here's a photo of the connecting rooms - the new kitchen is going behind the French doors (wall is down).

The beige furniture is gone but the curtains remain

Comments (30)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is it wrong that I think the drywall color looks pretty good? Maybe I should just tell my contractor to stop mudding and leave it at that? ;)

(moonlight white and titanium strips to the right)

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 8:34

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    10 years ago

No help here on your paint selection, but I love your curtain panels. They are just my cup of tea!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks anniecat! The fabric is Waverly-button blooms and I had the pinch pleats made up by someone on Etsy. Very happy with the whole enterprise.

Here is a link that might be useful: waverly button blooms at fabric dot com

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    10 years ago

Thanks Robo! It totally makes me smile from ear to ear. Great fabric.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked high and low for a fabric in this colorway. That was a couple of years ago. Tonic Living has some even better fabrics now!

Tempo mambo from p kaufman

And waverly has some AWESOME mod chinoiserie fabrics...to die for....this one has a similar colorway
    Waverly lotus chintz

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I tried BM Jute (paint store guy recommendation), which seemed pretty yellow, and French Canvas and Old Prairie. FC and OP may be the exact same color. I told the guy not to be surprised if he sees me back there before closing :P

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Robotropolis, just commiserating - we LOVED the color of the primer on our bedroom walls, and were almost disappointed when the actual paint went on!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Chispa,

I got them on eBay from Israel, but there is a place in Florida that seems to have the same tile: just morocco dot com. I can't vouch for them at all but the tile seems similar. They are just printed ceramic so nothing too fancy.

Sjhockeyfan, I literally brought a piece of Sheetrock to the paint store today along with my other samples and the paint guy gently pushed it away! Haha! He wanted nothing to do with it!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 21:52

• chispa
    10 years ago

Ha, I guess they haven't yet come up with a color called "simply sheetrock"!

Thanks for the tile info. It is similar to one by New Ravenna Mosaics, which are pretty pricy.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Robotropolis, perhaps try BM Classic Gray. In my light, it reads a very light khaki gray. It's more khaki than Titanium (which I found to be too green/blue), and more gray than Jute. (And, yes, Edgecomb Gray reads pink in my light, as well.) Classic Gray is one of those colors that you just have to get up on the wall, because the little color strip doesn't do it justice. Good luck!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion peony4! It's now on the list.

My current front runner is French Canvas. a light greeny off white. It kind of reminds me (perhaps erroneously) of an old plaster white. It's very close to the same -- uh, amount of darkness or lightness? -- as the cream that's there, but no or little yellow. So I think it's a good fit.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 8:41

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Did you look at BM american white?

It almost looks like the sheet rock color...

{{gwi:1542730}}

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie! That color looks like it could have some brown/pink undertones. I will check it out at the store!

While I have you all here, I have the following 9-foot-long painting hanging in my (12x12) (windowless) dining room. It takes up the whole wall facing kitchen

DR is open to the kitchen, but windowless. I was thinking of going cozy and warm, maybe paint the wall behind this painting something intense?

Not ready to choose a specific shade until I see how much light will now penetrate into DR from kitchen (i.e. till kitchen is done).

But if you were me, what color family would you be looking at?

Kitchen is black bases, white uppers, grey and maple.

Color families I have considered:

* Ochre
    * Pumpkin
    * Deep avocado
    * Charcoal
    * Black

I also have to work around a door in this wall -- all other doors on this floor will be painted white unless I specify otherwise.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 9:51

• done_again_2
    10 years ago

We went through so many samples trying to find a good gray type color. So many looked too blue/purple in the house. Ended up with Valspar Foggy Mirror. I have thought it looks like unfinished drywall at times.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I like blue and it would go great with the other colors.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A nice deep cobalt blue maybe? To go with my Xmas present to the husband?

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 11:47

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh! Despite what it said on website, paint store is closed today. But I think I'm pretty happy with my frontrunner, French Canvas. It and OP are very nearly identical.

Morning light - Titanium, French Canvas, Old Prairie (drywall in front of OP)

Afternoon light - FC left, OP right

FC is a little greener, OP is slightly greyer.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:56

• crl_
    10 years ago

If you decide to keep looking and the only problem with revere pewter was the darkness, you could try it cut fifty percent.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I'm not going to be any help, but I had to laugh about your drywall comment. I spent I don't know how long trying to find the exact colour of grey of the drywall when we redid the bathroom. It was perfect. We should send this to Ben Moore and tell them their next grey should be "drywall greige." We ended up with a colour that I think was called moonshine, I remember trying another one that had owl in it's name. I think the moonshine might be too light for you, but you might want to have a look.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great idea! I just sent the suggestion to Ben Moore. I told them they should release an industrial chic line with drywall greige as the star and the whole thing inspired by the building blocks of construction like raw pine and marine blue steel. They probably won't hire me based on a rando email to their 'contact us' account however ;)

I'm set for French canvas and should be seeing the results today. My flooring came in (that was a nailbiter after the blizzard last week) and cabs are ordered. Happy lady right here!

• Kathy Stuart
    5 years ago
    How come I can’t see pictures on post?
  • EmmaNJ
    4 years ago

Hi! going through similar colors right now! French Canvas, Titanium, November Rain, and Seapearl are what I am hoping to sample. I have Stingray in a bedroom and BM website says Seapearl is a shade lighter so thought that may be nice option for all the hallways and foyer. I have Edgecomb Gray and found it so pink, to the point where I may have to change the warm lightbulbs and see if that helps! Any final result pics of the French Canvas? Thank you!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Are we the same person!? I painted my cottage seapearl and my bedroom edgecomb (which yes reads a bit taupish)!! Hahaha. I like the French canvas, it’s a very neutral off white. Seapearl has a touch more personality. Here it is with - very white trim.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s French canvas with oxford white trim and a bunch of blue paint samples.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another shot. My light is very cool because it is winter in Nova Scotia.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For me titanium is a light greenish blue so it depends if you like that look. I ended up painting my rec room that color. And horizon is the bluest.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are some more (pro) shots of the seapearl and the last is ballet white which is a surprisingly charming light sandy beige.

• EmmaNJ
    4 years ago

Thanks!! it really is so funny that we had the same colors (and opinions!) on our minds!! pictures look great. Really like the French Canvas!

robo (z6a) thanked EmmaNJ
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would say the seapearl is a tad more lively and the French canvas is more greyed out. Both very neutral.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES