Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something between BM Edgecomb and Titanium...

Posted by robotropolis (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 8:02

Hi all!

I'm looking for a warm, light, very neutral khaki grey for my first floor.

I had picked BM Titanium 2141-60 and thought it was perfect but now I'm worried -- it's seeming sweet blue grey, almost cool, when what I want is a very warm feel.
The pic below shows it with things representing my two tone cabs (pug is standing in for the black), natural maple and birch (floor and butcherblock), tiny Caesarstone sample (Alpine white) and backsplash tiles (Fauxroccan and big subway).

We first picked Edgecomb Grey as The One but in our blue Northern light it's pulling a bit tan/pink and we're not huge fans.

We have a neutral cream similar to BM Mayonnaise throughout now and it feels too yellow to me, so I think I like green undertones better than yellow.

So I'm going back to the paint store this morning for testers -- what should I put on the list? November Rain? Moonlight white? Athena?

Here are some others we tried:

Revere P -- too dark
Stonington -- too cold
Moonshine, grey owl -- too grey
Silken Pine, Horizon - omg so blue

Anything I should put on the list? Thanks very much for your help!

Here's a photo of the connecting rooms - the new kitchen is going behind the French doors (wall is down).

The beige furniture is gone but the curtains remain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something between BM Edgecomb and Titanium...

Is it wrong that I think the drywall color looks pretty good? Maybe I should just tell my contractor to stop mudding and leave it at that? ;)

(moonlight white and titanium strips to the right)

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 8:34

o

No help here on your paint selection, but I love your curtain panels. They are just my cup of tea!

o

Thanks anniecat! The fabric is Waverly-button blooms and I had the pinch pleats made up by someone on Etsy. Very happy with the whole enterprise.

Here is a link that might be useful: waverly button blooms at fabric dot com

o

Thanks Robo! It totally makes me smile from ear to ear. Great fabric.

o

I looked high and low for a fabric in this colorway. That was a couple of years ago. Tonic Living has some even better fabrics now!

Tempo mambo from p kaufman

And waverly has some AWESOME mod chinoiserie fabrics...to die for....this one has a similar colorway
Waverly lotus chintz

o

Ok, I tried BM Jute (paint store guy recommendation), which seemed pretty yellow, and French Canvas and Old Prairie. FC and OP may be the exact same color. I told the guy not to be surprised if he sees me back there before closing :P

o

Try BM Grant Beige, a warmer, "deeper" color that Edgecomb.

I've seen the backsplash tile before ... what is the name?

o

Robotropolis, just commiserating - we LOVED the color of the primer on our bedroom walls, and were almost disappointed when the actual paint went on!

o

Hi Chispa,

I got them on eBay from Israel, but there is a place in Florida that seems to have the same tile: just morocco dot com. I can't vouch for them at all but the tile seems similar. They are just printed ceramic so nothing too fancy.

Sjhockeyfan, I literally brought a piece of Sheetrock to the paint store today along with my other samples and the paint guy gently pushed it away! Haha! He wanted nothing to do with it!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 21:52

o

Ha, I guess they haven't yet come up with a color called "simply sheetrock"!

Thanks for the tile info. It is similar to one by New Ravenna Mosaics, which are pretty pricy.

o

Robotropolis, perhaps try BM Classic Gray. In my light, it reads a very light khaki gray. It's more khaki than Titanium (which I found to be too green/blue), and more gray than Jute. (And, yes, Edgecomb Gray reads pink in my light, as well.) Classic Gray is one of those colors that you just have to get up on the wall, because the little color strip doesn't do it justice. Good luck!

o

Thanks for the suggestion peony4! It's now on the list.

My current front runner is French Canvas. a light greeny off white. It kind of reminds me (perhaps erroneously) of an old plaster white. It's very close to the same -- uh, amount of darkness or lightness? -- as the cream that's there, but no or little yellow. So I think it's a good fit.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 8:41

o

Did you look at BM american white?

It almost looks like the sheet rock color...

o

Thanks Annie! That color looks like it could have some brown/pink undertones. I will check it out at the store!

While I have you all here, I have the following 9-foot-long painting hanging in my (12x12) (windowless) dining room. It takes up the whole wall facing kitchen

DR is open to the kitchen, but windowless. I was thinking of going cozy and warm, maybe paint the wall behind this painting something intense?

Not ready to choose a specific shade until I see how much light will now penetrate into DR from kitchen (i.e. till kitchen is done).

But if you were me, what color family would you be looking at?

Kitchen is black bases, white uppers, grey and maple.

Color families I have considered:

* Ochre
* Pumpkin
* Deep avocado
* Charcoal
* Black

I also have to work around a door in this wall -- all other doors on this floor will be painted white unless I specify otherwise.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 9:51

o

We went through so many samples trying to find a good gray type color. So many looked too blue/purple in the house. Ended up with Valspar Foggy Mirror. I have thought it looks like unfinished drywall at times.

o

I like blue and it would go great with the other colors.

o

A nice deep cobalt blue maybe? To go with my Xmas present to the husband?

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 11:47

o

Ugh! Despite what it said on website, paint store is closed today. But I think I'm pretty happy with my frontrunner, French Canvas. It and OP are very nearly identical.

Morning light - Titanium, French Canvas, Old Prairie (drywall in front of OP)

Afternoon light - FC left, OP right

FC is a little greener, OP is slightly greyer.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:56

o

If you decide to keep looking and the only problem with revere pewter was the darkness, you could try it cut fifty percent.

o

I'm not going to be any help, but I had to laugh about your drywall comment. I spent I don't know how long trying to find the exact colour of grey of the drywall when we redid the bathroom. It was perfect. We should send this to Ben Moore and tell them their next grey should be "drywall greige." We ended up with a colour that I think was called moonshine, I remember trying another one that had owl in it's name. I think the moonshine might be too light for you, but you might want to have a look.

o

Great idea! I just sent the suggestion to Ben Moore. I told them they should release an industrial chic line with drywall greige as the star and the whole thing inspired by the building blocks of construction like raw pine and marine blue steel. They probably won't hire me based on a rando email to their 'contact us' account however ;)

I'm set for French canvas and should be seeing the results today. My flooring came in (that was a nailbiter after the blizzard last week) and cabs are ordered. Happy lady right here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here