Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Bathroom remodeling tips for lazy housekeepers?

lkplatow
9 years ago

We are at the planning stage of a bathroom remodel -- no major changes, just refreshing the worn-out finishes (tiles are falling off the wall, etc.). I have been to several tile stores and am utterly overwhelmed by the choices.

I am basically looking to select floor tile, countertop material, and shower wall (and possibly ceiling) tile. The bath has a walk in shower and separate soaking/jacuzzi tub right now. I am keeping the walk in shower but am debating whether to convert from a drop in tub that sits in a tub deck to an old-fashioned clawfoot tub - we have rarely used the jacuzzi feature so losing it is not a big deal.

But here's the rub -- so many of the tile choices are beautiful stunning marble and other natural stone....that the tile store guys tell me has to be sealed every 8 months and cleaned with a special cleaner and etc. etc. I am lazy and disorganized. I KNOW I will not keep up with cleaning as often as I should, let alone sealing something on a regular schedule. And changing my toothpaste to one that doesn't etch marble countertops - ha! I'm lucky if I can get my kids to wipe toothpaste globs out of the sink, let alone make sure nothing touches the marble countertops.

So I am looking to select finishes that make my life easier, not more complicated. At the same time, I would like a vintage look - some kind of mosaic (maybe hex? maybe basketweave) tile on the floor. Subway or something similar on the shower walls. With gray colored grout probably because I am too lazy to scrub white grout, LOL! But I am wondering if all the grout lines in the subway tile and mosaics will drive me nuts and if I wouldn't be better off selecting a larger tile with smaller and fewer seams.

Basically, I am looking for recommendations -- are there any surfaces you have in your bathroom that you find particularly easy (or hard) to clean? For example, I was considering slate for the shower floor, but the rough surface looks like it might be a nightmare to clean. I was also considering a black hex tile, but am wondering about our hard water and whether it will show spots -- that kind of thing.

Similarly I am wondering if I convert to a clawfoot tub -- I suddenly have a lot of exposed but hard-to-reach tile under the tub -- I am picturing a constant battle with dust bunnies and dog hair. But if I go with another jetted tub, am I going to have issues with gross stuff building up in the jets (one of the reasons we rarely use our current tub is because we have to disinfect it with bleach before using it cause stuff seems to build up inside the jets.)

And finally, there's the issue of shower walls. The trend nowadays seems to be for all glass shower walls. I KNOW I don't like that -- besides the obvious cleaning and water spot issues for a lazy housekeeper like me, it would drive me nuts to feel like I'm showering out in the open like that. Our current shower is totally closed in by tiled walls except for a small gap above the glass door, which I like because it gives privacy and contains the steam and heat in the shower. But I think the "closed-in" ness of the shower also has contributed to mildewed grout because there's no air circulation to dry things after the shower. Assuming I don't want to squeegie and towel dry all the tile after every shower, is there any advantage to opening up the shower -- say maybe having tile walls that only go 6 feet up instead of to the ceiling -- to get better circulation? I will lose the heat-containment which would be a bummer, but I would sacrifice it for better longevity of the shower and less grout upkeep.

So any tips for me? I thought about posting this on the bathrooms forum, but you guys always have the best info! Thanks!

This post was edited by lkplatow on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 10:04

Comments (34)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

#1 - your exhaust fan is your friend! Make a practice of turning it on as you step into the shower and leaving it on (with the shower door open) for 20 minutes after you are out.

#2 - larger tiles, = less grout lines and easier maintenance but you can't use really large tiles on a shower floor so those do have to be smaller.

#3 - good news is mottled colors show less hair, water spots or dirt of any kind. That's also the bad news because the mess is there even if you don't see it as much - eww.

#4 - porcelain tile is pretty much bullet proof, there's lots of variety in color and shape but its would be a challenge to make that into a vintage look.

#5 - obscure glass in a shower gives a sense of privacy and is easier to keep clean but it's not the look du jour. how far outside the up-to-the-minute look are you willing to go?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Some thoughts.

I love our corian countertop with integrated sinks. No seams, no rims, cleans like a dream and is much warmer and softer to the touch than granite or stone. We like it so much, we used it on our bench seat in our shower and on the shower surround.

Porcelain tile is the way to go. It comes in so many different patterns and styles that look like stone, marble, terra cotta, etc. It is very durable, very easy to clean and needs no sealing....though the grout may. This is a pic of porcelain tile:
    {{gwi:2136686}}

Going with a mosaic on the floor is a good idea as, the more grout, the less slippery the tile is. Look for the COF of the tile...coefficient of friction...which will help tell you how slippery the tile might be.

Re shower door, we have our surround up above "boob height" as I told the builder so that I feel more secure in the shower. Above that is glass. We also have a glass shower door with a pivoting transom up top. Our shower door both swings in and swings out. Out so you can reach the controls without getting wet, in so it will dry well and not be in the way. The transom is important as ours is a steam shower too, so it can be closed in for warmth and steaming, open for drying. I really prefer the glass shower door. But if you feel exposed (I really felt exposed at the bellagio even though I was alone!) no one says the glass has to be clear. It can be textured, which will be more obscuring of both you and the water spots.

Re the tub, we have a bain ultra air jet tub in our guest room, and it's very nice as it bubbles and moves the water well, but there are no jets to get icky. Instead, once you drain the tub, you hit a button and a blow dryer comes on for a certain amount of time which dries out the vents. Further, you can use bubble bath with an air jet, but not with a whirlpool.

Don't know if you are getting plumbing changed, but do check your cleaning supplies and determine how high the mop/broom/vacuum head is and have the plumber put the pipe to the toilet above that....ours is just about 1/2" too low, and every time I go to clean, I curse as I can't get the device under the pipe and have to get there and scrub by hand. So annoying!

If you don't have it already, I'd seriously consider getting a heating mat under your tile. There's nothing like walking on a warm floor instead of the cold tile if you live where there's any winter at all.

• springroz
    9 years ago

If you go with a larger tile, be sure it is rectified, so the grout lines can be tiny.

Consider solid surface shower walls.

I am a certified horrible housekeeper, with no staff, and I used a marble mosaic on the shower floor. It is way better than any other shower floors in previous houses!

I have the same issue with the whirlpool tub! I cannot help with the claw foot tub, as I have never had one. Mine would have to sit in the middle of the room, though, because I would hate standing on my head to clean behind it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Hire someone to come in once a week or every other week to do a thorough cleaning of the bathrooms!

And I'd definitely go for the claw foot tub if you like to take baths. To clean dust bunnies behind it, just get one of those extension wands for vacuums. These are also great for cleaning out lint traps in dryers and getting under refrigerators.

• crl_
    9 years ago

You might find this houzz idea book interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Design and Easy to Clean Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/design-an-easy-clean-bathroom-stsetivw-vs~2001491)

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

Your post caught my eye because I dislike housekeeping also. I have three kids. My last house was a custom. I seriously designed it so it would look as clean as possible even when it wasn't clean.

Like someone said above use mottled tiles. And then go with a a shade of grout that looks good with the grout, but isn't light colored. If you could get it to match the dirt outside, that is even better. Use tiles that are in more of a medium color range. Dark colors show every speck of dirt and so do light colors. I think white, black and gray can look stunning, but my preference is browns because it hides dirt.

I like the look of claw foot tubs, but at my house something would spill under there or someone would accidentally pee in the floor and I'd never be able to get it entirely clean under there so that would be a major drawback. I'd get rid of the jacuzzi tub. I hate having to clean those jets.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Grey grout, not white.

Skirted toilet.

Two things I thank myself for every day.

• lkplatow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! Please keep the feedback coming!

Springoz - please tell me about your marble mosaic on the shower floor -- the tile guy at the store made it sound like I would have to do nothing but clean it if I wanted it to stay looking nice. I don't mind a bit of patina (as I said, I am after a vintage look, and I have seen some stunning, worn-to-perfection marble mosaic floors in, say, the restrooms of old theatres....but I'm afraid that in my house, it would end up just looking nasty and stained instead of perfectly patina-ed.)

adellabedella -- "someone would accidentally pee on the floor" -- ha ha! Have you been hanging out with my kids and/or dogs?

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Not everything in my new bathroom is easy maintenance but a lot of my choices were made with easier cleaning in mind. I chose a porcelain wood look floor with dark grout because I’m sick of cleaning light colored floors. The vanity facets are single lever and sit close to the sinks because I’m sick of trying to get my hand between backsplash areas and tap to clean the back portions. The vanity soap dispensers are built in and refill from the top with the spout hanging over the sink so that should be less messy. The vanity area towels are paper and come from an enclosed wall mounted dispenser painted to match the wall color. The toilet is a smooth apron front with no side intestines to clean. Although I originally wanted a free standing tub, I lost that battle. Now I’m glad because I don’t want to clean under areas or skinny side areas around a tub. Plus, my new tub has arm rests inside which I like. The tub faucet is a fancy little number and will be harder to clean but the good part is that it has a hand shower for easier tub cleaning. I do have a glass shower door which will be maintenance. I also have a marble vanity top; it’s listed as quartzite on some sites and has color bands it. It’s not a big area so don’t think it will be a problem.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'll be so glad to get rid of the sliding glass shower doors when we remodel. We don't have room for a swinging door, so we may use a shower curtain mounted to the ceiling. The TRAX system actually mounts on the ceiling, and they also sell extra long shower curtains.

We're getting rid of the built-in shower seats. Mold traps.

Toto toilets come with a thing called Sanagloss inside the bowl. I call it Santa Claus and think of it as a gift to not have the build-up of hard water stains. They also make sinks with Santa Claus. Maybe old toothpaste would slide off.

We're using slab drawer fronts on our top drawers and a simple beaded door style. Easy wipe down. I would use slab on all the drawers if I was going with a contemporary style.

I would have to hire a housekeeper to do my kitchen and bathrooms if I were a bad housekeeper. I can handle dust bunnies but I can't handle unsanitary.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I love cast iron shower pans!! kohler has limited sizes, but you can be creative with benches, etc to widen or lengthen your shower... I do not want to have to clean any more tiled and grouted shower pans!!!
    had marble floor and shower in last couple of houses- the shower marble held up really well in our last house, but not so well in the previous one but i don't think the previous one was sealed... marble around the toilet became etched tho even with sealing, but we had large polished tiles, not small hex tiles...any etching is probably less noticeable with small honed tiles...
    I would definitely not put marble on the counter- there are lots and lots of pretty quartzes and granites...
    there was an enormous tub in our current master bath that we had removed and put in cabinets instead... great for storing underwear, socks, pj's, etc,etc. I love claw footed tubs, but wouldn't spend the $ unless you really love taking baths...
    2nd the skirted toilet!!!
    glass walls/doors are terrible if you have hard water, but not so bad if you have a water softener/soft water... it's best to squeegee glass after showering, but squeegeeing is better than cleaning, imo!!!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Use epoxy grout, it is a dream to keep clean. If you want another jetted tub, look at the Sanijet. I love mine and there is no plumbing for gunk to build up in. The jets are removable and can go in the DISHWASHER! But mine have never needed cleaning.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Get a high quality exhaust fan with a humidity sensor and auto on/off. This will/should solve any mold issues on the tile in your shower. If you really want easy clean, use Swanstone for the shower surround....like Annie's Corian....no worries about cleaning grout. And yes, a mid-range color whatever surface you choose.

If you don't take baths why not ditch the tub altogether and enlarge the shower? We had a tub/shower combo in our master and when we remodeled we opted for a shower only and widened it by about a foot. Nice, large shower and there is still a tub in the hall bath.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

This might seem antithetical to "lazy housekeeping", but we started this in our last house when it was on the market and we approved showings with a two hour notice.

Every time we take a shower we shake the shower curtain liner, dry off all the tile and the caulk line around the rim of the tub and dry the shower valve and faucets.

Yep, every time. But it takes about one minute, and we are drying off ourselves in the process.

The bathroom in the house for sale did not need to be scrubbed in two years. Not once, it was always clean. The caulk never discolored, there was never soap scum build up. So far, this has worked on the new bathroom as well.
    Of course everyone who uses the bathroom has to be on board with this.

From a remodeling standpoint I used coved tile at the floor and coved the vertical corners in the shower. Cove tile is not popular, I was the first person who ordered some of the pieces in three years, but from a practicality standpoint it's unbeatable: there is no "corner" in the corner.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Seconding the cast iron shower pan. Linoleum (not vinyl, true linoleum) on the floor. Both are vintage materials and easier to clean than tile.

Wall hung, skirted toilet.

Good ventilation

Shower curtain rather than glass--vintage and easier to clean

Have a place to store all your bathroom cleaning supplies in the bathroom. Keep duplicates in every bathroom.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

I appreciate this thread since I am in the middle of decision making for my MBR remodel.

I wanted to send AnnieDeighnaugh a question but not sure how to send you an email.

This may be helpful to ikplatow.

Annie, your pivoting shower door - any problems with leaking? Thank you.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I can answer the door question with my experience since we now have one that swings in and out-- we have no leaking, but I think we would if we had a shower head pointed in the direction of the door and the spray could reach the door with some force... but no leaking with our setup and just gentle shower splashes on the door...
    I wouldn't choose a double swing door ordinarily, but with our bathroom, the door into the bathroom is right next to the shower door...

• erinsean
    9 years ago

We redid our bathroom, putting in a tub surround and glass doors, plus ceramic tile on the floor. I kept the glass doors for about 5 years and that was it.....we now have a pretty white shower curtain with liner and bathroom even looks bigger. So much easier to clean and most of all, easier to get in and out of the tub to take a shower or soak in the tub. Love the ceramic tile...grout not so much but all looks clean and easy to keep that way.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We reno'd our master bath a year ago and also have a shower door that swings in and out. We had one on the old shower also. No leaking. Like busybee said, if you had a shower head pointed directly toward the door, it might as there is a small gap, but I can't imagine why you'd do that. I guess you need to consider how exposed your shower is to the bathroom door and what you want. I can't imagine having a 'closed-in' shower where mold could (and will) grow.

For cleaning, get a good squeegee and use after every shower. Yeah, do it, it takes just a minute or two. then about once every week or two, clean the glass with a magic eraser. If your water is hard, spray with white vinegar and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then use a scrubbie and rinse off.

As for re-sealing tile in your shower, my tile guy said there is a new spray you can re-seal with. Spray it on and then wipe off (after cleaning well of course). He said it's available at the big box stores. I need to do this.

I also recommend getting the best exhaust fan you can get. Pay attention to the amount of cfm's it removes. Use it every time you take a shower and leave it on for about 15-20 minutes after you shower.

Get warm tiles installed in your floors. Your piggies will love it. I'll never be without it.

We've had granite counters, but a lot of people are recommending quartz counters for the low maintenance and anti-bacterial properties. Worth a look. We also have had Corian in a kitchen and master bath. It scratches. Not so bad for a guest bath that is seldom used, but I hated it in the kitchen.

• User
    9 years ago

edited

This post was edited by lov_mkitchen on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 21:44

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I didn't read every other post, but wanted to mention that you can have a deck mounted soaking tub with no jets or anything. I love mine! I think clawfoot tubs are attractive, but I prefer the surround to have a place for my potions, brushes and lotions to sit.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I love this thread. I don't mind cleaning, but bathroom cleaning is my most hated household task.

This is probably because I was an idiot when we remodeled, and chose all white tile in the baths when we remodeled. With white grout in the shower. And fussy vintage looking toilets and faucets. And we have extremely hard water, even with a water softener. It looks terrible even when it's just been cleaned. The only thing I like is the handheld shower sprayer for cleaning.

Things I want next time: Walk in shower with no curtain or glass. Undermount sink, no silly pedestal sinks! Quartzite countertop. Maybe solid surface shower walls. A wall-mounted or skirted toilet would be awesome. Any tile would have some color/pattern, with mid-toned grout. As much storage as possible to contain all the bathroom junk. A stronger, quieter fan. Light fixtures that are easy to take down and clean.

I think hex tiles are a great choice, as long as they're not white. I love the look of free-standing tubs, but cleaning under them? Could be a deal breaker for me.

• razamatazzy
    9 years ago

If helps to use liquid soap over bar soap. I read about this here, tried it after my bath remodel and am amazed how it eliminates soap scum. No more scum on glass doors, plumbing fixtures and tile to scrub.

• springroz
    9 years ago

Lkplatow...my shower floor is 2x2 gray marble, generic from the tile store that our GC used. Sorry I don't have more info! I asked tile guy about sealing it, and he did not recommend it. I do not remember why. We have lived with it for three years. I scrub it with a toilet cleaning brush, but only once a week or so.

• springroz
    9 years ago

Lkplatow...my shower floor is 2x2 gray marble, generic from the tile store that our GC used. Sorry I don't have more info! I asked tile guy about sealing it, and he did not recommend it. I do not remember why. We have lived with it for three years. I scrub it with a toilet cleaning brush, but only once a week or so.

• springroz
    9 years ago

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I'm glad you asked this question because I'm planning to redo our master bathroom and like you I want to do it thoughtfully to avoid problems of upkeep.

I definitely will second that suggestion - no bar soap, only liquid - both hand and shower gels.

I too would love a clawfoot tub but not in this bathroom. My tub area is a defined area sandwiched between three walls - no way to get access easily around the tub to clean from different angles. Beautiful but not practical. I can't wait to rip out that horrible whirlpool brand whirlpool tub which not only is a disgusting mess to clean the jets, but also turned yellow instead of remaining white.

I haven't had any problems with my glass doors/wall in my shower and I suspect it's because the shower is large enough that the water normally doesn't hit the glass during a shower - I only have to deal with some mild steam condensation which is easy to wipe down.

I often wonder about those with bathrooms where the shower has no door - what do you do about the steam - that steam carries fine particles of soap and shower debris and deposits them on the walls - at least if you have some closure on the shower itself, most of that gets deposited inside the shower which is a pain to clean - but much easier to clean a small shower area than all the walls of the bathroom?

I love the look of the vessel sinks plunked down on top of the vanity top, but I think they are more difficult to keep clean than an undermount sink - I have no experience, just my guess. I hope maybe others with experience can comment.

I will be looked to minimize sharp angles - so I'll opt for an oval rounded sink etc.

I'm also looking to minimize nooks and crannies in places where I wipe often - so simple straight lines on faucets is a plus.

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

This is our bath - no one ever sees it so I'm far more concerned about ease of cleaning than looks.

And it is easy to clean! The counter, jacuzzi surround and shower are from the Onyx Collection. Doorless shower is great.
    I occasionally spray down the shower with a vinegar/water mix and then wipe with a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. The counters just get wiped down with damp cloth and Gel Gloss when I get the ambition.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Every time we take a shower we shake the shower curtain liner, dry off all the tile and the caulk line around the rim of the tub and dry the shower valve and faucets.

Yep, every time. But it takes about one minute, and we are drying off ourselves in the process.

Pal, exactly what I do, although I use a squeegee on the tile and tub rim. So fast and easy. Seven months later and I haven't had to clean the shower/tub other than that.

When we moved into this house with its glass shower doors I thought I'd arrived. My recent remodel has a plain, single white-on-white fabric curtain and I love everything about it.

I don't have house help of any kind (and I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't). Other rooms are harder to keep clean, but my guest bath is not one of them.

• LE
    9 years ago

These are the things I thought of before I read other responses. Shower walls: either solid surface (we have Swanstone in one bath, but haven't used it yet as the door isn't on), or whatever tile you like plus epoxy grout. Good ventilation. Quartz vanity top, undermount sink, slab doors and drawer fronts. Drop in soaker tub if you want a tub and use it. Skirted toilet (best invention!). Glass walls that are "frosted" but use liquid soap and squeegee them anyway, that is a huge saver of time in the long run. I am on board with the school of Prevention on this issue. Just keep the room from getting dirty by making the surfaces easy to get at and you'll never have to spend an inordinate amount of time addressing it. Oh yeah, and no black tile if you have hard water.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

I am another one with marble on the shower floor. It's a basketweave with a light grey (silver?) grout. We squeegee the glass and the floor every time. It only takes a minute and it really cuts down on the amount of cleaning that is required on a weekly basis.

I also like an undermount sink. It's easier to wipe down the counter. When we had a drop in it was tedious to get around the edge of the bowl.

And micro fiber cloths and Baarkeeper's friend. I just started using it a couple of weeks ago. In my DD's bathroom, the "chem lab", there was a weird orange spot on the tub that I scrubbed at for years to no avail. One swipe with Barkeeper's Friend and it was gone.

• bpath
    9 years ago

My parents put marble vanities in their bathroom in 1971. It's kind of "mottled", the cleaning ladies have never been careful about what cleaners they use, and while it doesn't look like the day it went in, the patina is fine.

But I like my shiny, light Corian, with integrated sinks. Easy to clean.

With plenty of convenient storage for the way you really use your bathroom, and think as carefully about that as we do about our kitchen storage, you could be able to keep the counters clear for easy wiping up.

Towels close to the sink so you don't drip across the floor.

Ceramic tile. Coved base tile (do they still make that?). Wwall-hung commode. In my shower, I wish the floor went up the sides a bit instead of having a caulked corner on the floor.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I asked about sealing the tile floor in my last house. I was told it was a bad idea because it would make the floor more slippery when wet.