Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vall622_gw

help with country french cottage look

vall622
11 years ago

hi want to redo change style of my kitchen dining room and living room to french country cottage..biggest problem is my windows are bare and need treatments. love this fabric
http://besthomedecorators.com/de/de-printemps-french-country-rooster-london-valance-if-the-scalloped.html

for dining kitchen area..but wanted a more floral for living room area

http://www.housefabric.com/Red-Natural-Promotional-C657.aspx

Is that possible..also if my sofa is white slipcovered and one chair is getting slipcovered. should i go with a white background in window treatments?

thanks for any advice..And I will be taking down the wallpaper!..Any other decorating advice will be greatly appreciated. I am so interior design challenged

Comments (24)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Beautiful home. If those were my windows I'd add checked curtains(panels) in a heartbeat, and have lace cafe curtains going halfway up. Plaids and checks are the epitome of french country. They're the icing on a french country cake. lol

Look at the link below to give you an idea. You can use different size checks.

Here is a link that might be useful: French country checks

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Look into toile, nothing is more French. No valances, though, in any fabric. And rooster fabric is not only dated, it was never a staple of the doyennes of French country decorating (Charles Faudree, the Pierres, etc.).

I would cover both chairs in the same fabric, preferably a check, as suggested above, or a toile (my fave). Then I would turn my attention to the artwork and photos on the walls--- that is the most pressing issue I see in the photos above.

After you get the wall color and upholstery settled, then look for a rug. I would not focus on curtains first; since you don't have them now you obviously don't need them for light control or privacy. Adding curtains before doing anything else will just jumble up an already confusing mix.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Another thing, take "cottage" out of your look. There's a difference between french country cottage and french country. Your house isn't cottage.

I agree with KSWL, do both chairs in the same fabric. I would leave the living room walls alone though, the yellow is a great backdrop to french country decor.

K, I'm going to add some lace cafe curtains, and they have little roosters in them. lol. But they won't be noticeable unless one stands up close.

And every good french country kitchen needs either a rooster statue or rooster lamp. :)

• tinam61
    11 years ago

You do have some cottage elements there. Here's a google search of french country cottage images:

http://www.google.com/search?q=french+country+cottage+decor&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=usH-UOrKDZO08ATbpoDICQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1055

There is also a blog called french country cottage. You might try searching or I will look for the addy.

I agree with KSWL about the roosters. I personally would go for toile over checks. But that's just me.

Hope the link helps!

tina

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I was looking at Charles Faudree room's and here is a link to one of my favorte window treatments. I've seen similar in black and white check.

I see absolutely no "cottage" in her home. I like the non-cottage french country the best. The colors are richer, IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charles Faudree

• luckygal
    11 years ago

There are a lot of variations between authentic French country one might actually see in France and the Americanized version of French country so you'll have to decide which you like. There is no right or wrong, it's just that there are many choices.

Here's "authentic French country style". There are a lot of links on that blog that show many pics of French houses.

"This blog has a lot of pics of French style." Not necessarily 'country' style but the more pics you look at of French style the easier it will be to decide what you like.

Lots of practical ideas here: "French country decor guide."

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Here is the blog I mentioned:

http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

I hope that helps. Another blogger who decorates somewhat french country is savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com.

I think your white slipcovers will help bring cottage into the mix. Can't wait to see what you do!

tina

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

What does French Country mean to you, and why do you like it? That will help shape the suggestions.

It could be zinc topped tables and old books and bentwood chairs and striped napkins.

Or it could be toile du Jouy and lace and gilt mirrors.

See what I mean?

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Or toile and zinc tables and rabbit bookends! :-)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

There are many variations of what is considered 'French style' here in the US. I guess it's become what interior designers/decorators should be calling Americanized French. Lots of pretty pictures that can offer some great ideas here.

Here is a link that might be useful: here........

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Kswl, I love rabbits! Animals play a large part in french country decorating.

I wonder what happened to the OP?

• vall622
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm here. I guess french country to me started from the cottage look that I was originally after. After getting a white slipcovered sofa I thought about all that white. I saw those rooster toile waverly curtains and the other waverly red and yellow fabrics and fell in love. I have a rustic dining room table, farm sink and pot rack so I think I was always heading in that direction. I just want every room live able. I love all the ideas and I am going to start with curtains for my living room. Kind of like in my inspirational photo. I might try making them myself with those ring clips. Maybe a layer of floral and a layer if checks.

Thanks for all the great advice!!

• vall622
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my inspiration for living room.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Love you inspiration pic! How that you have the visual, you're halfway there. Well, you know what I mean.........

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I think those fabrics would go really well in your space.I think next you will want a patterned rug, and more basketry of some sort.

• vall622
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now if I can only find that fabric.

• sumac
    11 years ago

I think the dinning chairs need to be changed before anything else. Then go from there. I agree with everything above and need to go back and check all the links because I too am trying for a french country look. I think. Good luck and have fun.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

The white slip-covered sofa is perfect to have with the other patterns you'll be adding. I can't wait to see how your room's progress!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Here is one of my favorite places to kill an afternoon. Perhaps you will find some inspiration in the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chateau Domingue

• vall622
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree about the dining room chairs. Unfortunately I just got set last year. The chairs didn't come in ladder back.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

vall622, check out craigslist. I found four french style latter back chairs for $75 a few years ago~i'm in Austin. You can sell what you have or keep them(basement/garage/attic)as extras for company.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Coming late to this to say that your inspiration picture is, I believe, one that I saved for a few years. Mine was in Country Living Magazine. I tossed it out as I began to go with a more muted , sophisticated, or quiet look for our family room, adding color with accent pilows. Then I got red slipcovers for the sofa during the winter months, reverting to the beige upholstery in March. Well, this Christmas we set up a long bar for a party, and decorated it in red plaids and checks. I fell in love.....again! Seeing your/my inspiration picture has me almost ready to commit to my original desire for this cheerful French Country look. Liking change has always made me fearful of prints, but you have about convinced me to just stop worrying and go for it. And if I cared much about trends, color is surely about to make a big comeback. So thank you, Val! Good luck with your livingroom, and please post pics of your progress!
    Marti

• cottagewithroses
    11 years ago

Your fabrics are lovely, but what about a soft yellow/gold for the walls? That would be french country and bring another warm color into your space. And it would work well with your dining chairs.

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional