Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

What Are YOUR Design Inspirations For 2014?

User
10 years ago

After reading the Post on the WSJ outs and ins for 2014, i thought it would be interesting to see what design elements people are planning to use for 2014--- or would use if they had a project.

Mine would be velvet upholstery (especially yummy feeling mohair velvet), brick floors, ticking fabric, and fewer accessories. And neutral paint, if I can ever find one I like irl as opposed to in my head, lol.

What decor elements still appeal to you as timeless or what fresh ideas have caught your eye for 2014?

Comments (39)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm probably the reverse of this question as there are so many trends that I don't like...until they grow on me. I figure by the time I start to get accustomed to them and they seem acceptable, they must be on the way out. For example, I never liked ikat, and now I'm starting to see how it could be useful. I also never liked drum shades due to the images they evoked from the old smoky dried up things I remember from childhood. But now I'm starting to see interesting things done with them, so they must be on the way out...

So whether on trend or not, I don't have a clue...I'm usually ahead of my time or so far behind it's retro. IAC, I'm planning on wallpapering the wall in my BR. I also love jewel tones and have for decades, but now I find myself looking for brighter versions of them...still saturated, but not so light-sucking. The focus on ease and cozy hasn't changed...but paring down and simplifying is part of it too. The other part is to recreate my punch list of things to get done around here and then do it....like that little narrow strip under the deck door that never got painted, and the speakers in the DR that never got painted, and faux finishing the vent in the stone wall to match the wall, and getting those clouds up on the DR ceiling, and making drapes for the DR and finishing the window treatment in the master bath, and getting that chair reupholstered in the BR, and getting a table made for the bkfst nook and.........

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I am starting the renovation of a 50 year old house, so what I am working with will be things that are appropriate in a 50 year old, definitely modern, house.

I don't want to go the "Retro Renovation" route and recreate a time capsule, but I want it to look --sympathetic, I guess. The original bathrooms are long gone, and the examples I've seen were not pretty period bathrooms, so I have to make them "right, but better", and it's not that easy. Faucets are too big and too "antique" looking, color choices are disappearing. The kitchen is going to present the same problem. Door hardware is also going to be a problem.

So, I guess I am going to be inspired by some really basic things this year. 1x1 and 2x2 porcelain mosaic tile, 4x4 ceramic tile, colored fixtures, shaped concrete or paver tile, polished chrome, polished brass, teak and mahogany, *wall-to-wall carpet*, (again--hard to find, the appropriate stuff is super short velvet cut, if you don't want sculpted), floor to ceiling and wall to wall drapery.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Depending on $$$ availabilty, we may overhaul our FR this year. I'm thinking over wood flooring types, looking into paneling, DH wants to redo insulation, and we need to do something about furniture too. Inspiration is still circa late 90s Pottery Barn country house/Country Living -- that look is waaay out of style by now, right? It still suits where we live.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

We're building, and I'm finally getting the white kitchen I've always wanted. I first planned my white kitchen to go into the 3rd house I was renovating, a 1920's colonial, back in the 1980s. Got a divorce instead of the new kitchen. Life went on. 3 more houses later and I still pined for a white kitchen, but it wasn't appropriate for any of those houses. THIS house it's perfect for and I'm finally going to have it! Trendy, I hope not.

Design inspiration for this house
    - Low Country architecture that includes transom windows, ceiling fans and big porches.
    -the blues and greens of the watery colors we've seen while cruising. From the turquoises seen sailing into Bimini to the deepest darkest blue you can imagine in 2000 ft deep waters off the Bahama Bank to the foamy greens of the Keys and the greys off the northeastern coast.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Color, pattern, vintage, handmade, and ethnic are high on my list of important decor elements whether they are trendy or not and they seem to be this year.

I am still in the process of downsizing and editing my furniture and accessories as may list my property this year. So I am thinking ahead to which pieces I cannot live without as will likely make drastic changes to my decor before and after I move. I have an old chair I want to paint and reupholster and need to decide the color. Not an easy decision as there are several ways to go with a new color scheme. I also have an antique painted trunk I would like to use and that color also impacts the new scheme. I don't want my current scheme to influence the new one too much, hence my difficulty with making a decision.

The only new purchases I plan to make prior to moving are art, handmade, and vintage items I find that I feel I cannot live without and I won't know them until I see them. I usually find items I like, then find a way to incorporate them into my decor rather than looking for specific things. After I move and have chosen a new color scheme I will make decisions on new upholstered pieces to fit the new house. I am currently saving pictures of styles I like but the final decisions will depend on factors unknown at present.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh not much just need to figure out how to incorporate a contemporary/art nouveau dining room set in an open plan with a more modern slab door kitchen and an eclectic bunch of living room stuff as well as a blending in a Fred Fintstone fireplace. Easy Peasyâ¦NOT!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Well, I have to say that Lavender Lass is my design inspiration for this year. In "the pink room", so called because it's pink and we can't figure out a purpose, I'll bring up Dad's childhood enamel-topped kitchen table from the basement and a comfy chair, set them around the south-facing box-bay window seat, replace most of the plants with cushions and herbs, and be cozy in my "lady's room". All I need is a fireplace, but I have plenty of candles instead.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

No real projects planned other than replacing the screen porch furniture in our summer place this spring. Otherwise my goal is simplify, simplify, simplify! At the moment I have about 6 bags of stuff ready to be picked up by the VVA truck next week, and I've been adding to them daily. I am constantly battling with my love of tchotchkes, vacation mementos, framed photos, etc...with the desire to scale back these days.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I wish I could send our Handy Guy up to you for a few days.....he can take a punch list and have it finished to complete satisfaction quicker than you can cross the items off the list! I know what you mean about finally coming around to things when they're I their way out. I am like that with fashion, although I don't think I will ever like those "bootees" with dresses no matter how much time passes. With respect to colors, as I get older I can appreciate almost any combination as long as it is appropriate to the setting and style of the house, inside and out.

Ineffable, I totally empathize with your use of the term "sympathetic" as it relates to renovation. A lot of the recent retro style has been so overdone it is almost a caricature of the original. All the design elements and materials you mentioned are timeless IMO. The challenge for me is to use them in a way that does not make my house look like my mother's, iykwim. ( I spent several years living on a boat and can wax poetic about the magic properties of teak and brass!)

Awm, you've expressed my fears perfectly for our basement redo.....I know it's going to come all over Pottery barn, but I keep coming back to that look for this particular space. In fact, I wanted custom built ins for the daybed/sofas and found EXACTLY what I was looking for at PB. They've been ordered, so the die is cast.... But, as you say, when the look is truly suitable for a house, room or location, to me that is what takes it from "trendy" to "appropriate."

Glad you are getting your white kitchen, finally, mlweaving! I love my white kitchen and in a magazine of kitchen pictures my eyes are inevitably drawn to the white ones. Low country architecture has always been one of my favorite styles--- it's livable and elegant all at once. Your color scheme sounds perfect for the house and for you, AND not trendy or popular or recently trendy, either :-)

Luckygal I am looking forward to seeing how you both downsize the space and edit the look into something fresh. I love vintage and the care that goes into handmade objects.

It's interesting to hear these views and plans. I think every poster here is a freethinker with a very personal sense of style.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, jterrilyn--- YOU have the 2014 design challenge, lol! I can't wait to see how you integrate those elements into a cohesive whole. Btw, we have had a Fred Flintstone fireplace before, of large fieldstone with an enormous slab of redwood as a mantel. We renovated the house before we moved in.... I "stained" the rusty iron colors in the rock with a watered down putty colored paint, giving it a new, silvery grey appearance, and had the carpenter replace the mantel with a simple but hefty one of painted wood and large crown molding, then had them do paneling and picture molding above the fireplace and on the surrounding wall. It made a comprehensive change in the feel of the room, from 80's country to Cotswold cottage. So--- I know how hard fireplaces are to work around.

Bpathhome, this past year we redid our DD's room in pinks and greens, and used the most beautiful pale pink on her antique wicker desk and chair. I hadn't used the color in a long while and fell in love with it. There's something romantic about pink!

Sueb, have you developed a plan for getting rid of stuff, or are you winging it? I did finally get rid of all the stuff in my "decorative accessories graveyard," but for what's out now in our living spaces I don't know how to start. For example, pictures--- do you look at a group of four or five and select two to keep out? How about throws? I tried to go throw-free on all sofas, but invariably someone would then grab one from a bedroom or even drag out a full sized blanket to lounge in. One per room? Hide them under the seat cushion when not in use? I need a rubric or checklist or somebody to tell me which things should be removed as mere clutter and which to leave to add the character that is an accessory's job. Maybe you should ask that in your column and bring back the good answers :-). Are you still writing it?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

This year I'll be hiring a maid, thanks to many on this forum that have them and convinced me it's the way to go. Hubby approves so once I find the right one I'll actually have time to bring my design ideas of the last dozen years to fruition.

I don't follow trends and love a mix of styles so one by one I'll finally be bringing the rooms of our home to the visions that have been in head far too long. Many of my ideas have evolved and some totally tossed and renewed, but alas they will happen.

It would take too long and be too wordy to describe them here so I'll wait and share them as they happen, but will give you an idea of what I'm working with and want to achieve. Our home is a Queen Anne Victorian Revival with the interior leans toward the end of the that era and the beginning of Craftsman style. It's furnished with many periods of furniture from the last century and a few from this one. My mixture of styles are very eclectic and rather strange so I've named it MEE standing for My Eccentric Eclecticism.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 16:40

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

My only project this year is to recover the living room furniture. I will be choosing neutral fabrics again, trendy or not, as I enjoy changing decor accents and pillows with the seasons. I would love to use a luxurious fabric like mohair velvet, but my room faces west and the sun destroys delicate fabrics and fades all fabrics, so I must have a blend that includes some man-made fiber.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Kswl, do you have pictures of the Fred Flintstone fireplace makeover? I would LOVE to see. IâÂÂm about to order a mantle. I got a notice in my email from Hayneedle .com on a sale. In case anyone is looking there is a decent selection at a very low price.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Our project for this year is to update the basement.....once we clear out 30 years of junk! Do you think I can just set a bomb off down there and put us both out of our misery?!!!

We started to clean out this summer and then never got back to it. I think it's going to take a few elimination rounds to weed through everything and get it down to the bare minimum, including kid stuff they don't have room for.

DH finished it off inexpensively in 90-91 as a play space for the kids. It's pretty standard..drop ceiling, cream-colored beadboard paneling, carpet. I think we are going to replace the slider with French doors. Will update the ceiling..even if it's just new tiles. Will probably just paint the paneling....just don't want to go through the trouble and expense of dry walling everything since we will probably sell in a few years. New carpet of course. And maybe tile in the area by the French doors. Will also change the lighting from fluorescent to recessed( DH talked me into fluorescent since it was easier for him to do...since he was doing all the work I didn't protest, even though I didn't want it even back then). The space will become an exercise space. I know I will seek everyone's expert opinions here once it's cleared out!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

After about 18 months of renovations, I'm just working through a punch list of items (paint the laundry room) and decor items (LR wall, hutch, FR console, new barstools) while avoiding the temptation/cost to redo the MBath/closet or update the backyard (a lousy patio stone install, aging pergola and cracked brick retaining wall).

My inspirations there are turning to geometric wallpapers, chinoiserie/bamboo furniture accents, small amounts of shiny stuff, small amounts of bolder colors, velvets, silks and a neutral base.

A more immediate priority will be to update the kitchen/baths in a second home, potentially with an eye for resale or rental. It's a city loft, so my design inspirations are turning quite modern (and on a small budget) or what is considered modern in 2014. I'm looking at relief tiles and who knows what... (wood washes? walnut? back painted glass?)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jterrilyn, I am sorry I don't have a picture of that fireplace. I was a very frazzled mom of 3 trying to oversee the renovation, it was early in our home owning history when I had more ideas and energy than money :-)
    The carpenter who built the mantel was not especially great, and it was a very simple straight across mantel built up enough for the crown to have something to nail onto, if that makes sense. But it was very nicely sanded and painted and I find that in itself makes things look "better" than they really are.

• queenofmycastle0221
    10 years ago

How funny! I was texting with the housekeeper last night and asked her to work an extra day the week the tile is being put in the foyer and bathroom. I promised my remodeling was going to slow down this year. I don't know what I would do without her coming every Thursday.

That being said, I want to paint the living room which may be more of an undertaking than I can do on my own. It has the cathedral ceilings and my husband is terrified of heights. It is currently SW Blonde and I think I want it the neutral SW Bittersweet Stem to match the kitchen. The rest of my focus should be outside. I would like to stain the concrete patio and do a tile on the front "stoop", I can't even call it a porch. I started adding mulch in the fall to the front flower beds and hope to add more color.

I am so excited for a great year!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I found my design style quite a number of years ago ~ Lynn's Style ~ and it's still making me happy today. It's called "Southwestern-Eclectic-But-Only-What-Appeals-To-Me (LOL): brick floors, cream colored exposed adobe walls, lots of white/cream with black and other SW accent colors, Oriental rugs, any painting or piece of art that makes me happy.

Along those parameters, my design goals for 2014 will be (1) to get my 2 living room sofas reupholstered. They're now in a cream linen blend and I'd like to keep them in that same color and fabric. And (2) Do a bit of redecorating in my guest room. I sold the day bed and trundle right before Christmas, buying a queen-size aero-bed from Frontgate to use when company comes. I now need to move things around and possibly buy a few new things for in there, as I use it for my study/workroom/den most of the time now. But, it's decorated with horse art and Western-type furniture, which I'll be keeping. So, no drastic changes there either. I know, "Boring!", but it makes me happy and I think it looks great.
    Lynn

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Kwsl, my system for a while has been asking myself questions like: do I love it? is it meaningful in some way (a great travel memento, something made by my kids, etc)? is it useful? Versus: is it some dopey thing I picked up at Home Goods because I was in the mood one day? Nothing against Home Goods but I have wound up with so many silly things that I thought were cute at the time or suited my mood at the moment, only to be tossed during one of my purges. And I do still have some of those things, but not as many as I used to. For example, I'm sitting in my living room at the moment (cozy while it's snowing like crazy outside) and I see:
    - one throw on my lap, yeah, from TJ Maxx, but it's adorable and warm.
    - handmade glass vase given to me by a friend.
    - glass boxes full of shells and rocks gathered on vacations.
    - candle given to me by a friend.
    - tray purchased on vacation on Amelia Island.
    - little stack of antique books purchased at an amazing bookstore near Amherst, MA.
    - handmade pottery container from an art show.
    - all original artwork on the walls.

And so on. Most of it is meaningful to me/us in some way. My coffee table is mostly bare, and there is plenty of room on end tables to place a drink, snack, and book. While I still feel like I have a lot of "stuff," it's not too cluttery, but if I'm not careful, I could easily get there!

In the last week, I have cleaned out several kitchen cabinets and all the lower cabinets in the built-ins in my bedroom. I feel so cleansed...LOL.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Still working on turning my patio into an outdoor room. It's your basic patio with cement slab, ceiling fan, and not much else, but I did have a flagstone extension added. I don't want screens since I'm planning to let my 2 cars have access, but know cats and screens sometimes don't mix. Will also be removing the fan and adding a similar light fixture.

Here's my inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor room

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

lol....that's CATS, not cars!

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

Site-finished red oak floors (June 2014) and a leather sofa (June 2014). Been waiting/saving for years to get to this point in finances, etc. CAN'T WAIT.

On a side note... anyone have any experience with Smith Brothers of Berne (Indiana) leather sofas? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Bpathome- Your pink room sounds wonderful! I'm glad you're going to do something that will make you happy in the space :)

I'm going with my interpretation of 'fairy tale' style. Actually kind of a rustic/romantic look, with woodland elements. Lots of leaf and fern prints on the windows and area rug or two...then dark berry/purple, burgandy and gold for accents. I really like it and there's enough green, gold and wood that my husband likes it too. {{gwi:1542160}}From Snow White album

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Justgotabme, enjoy having cleaning help! As I've posted before, it's a luxury I won't be without as long as my finances allow...and I'd give up a lot of other nonessentials to keep walking into a lovely and immaculately clean house every other Tuesday :).

My inspiration sounds silly, but it is to create one of those houses where everything is in order, clean and well maintained so you can appreciate the decorating and the style. Within the past few years I have been so very fortunate to have completed all the big projects for my home. But we have the curse of the not-quite-done and the needs-some-touch-up everywhere. Yesterday for example I spent the afternoon priming and painting the cement borders that had been bare since the new impact windows were installed, ahem, last February. Today I'm going to feather in some joint compound to start the patch job in my hallway for the peeling paint section that has been there for, ahem, a couple of years. I told my husband I need him to nail up the sections of crown molding where my son did a quick-n-dirty job installing them in the bedrooms, ahem, SEVERAL years ago. I can't caulk, prime and paint until that's done. Then there is the master bathroom door which has been propped in the garage waiting to be stripped and repainted since, ahem, I remodeled the room in 2007 (oh the shame).

Decluttering is on the list too. I'm so tired of random things tucked in closets and drawers, or sitting on surfaces just because I haven't taken the time to either decide they should stay or get them outta here.

Anyway, the inspiration for me is coming home, or inviting friends to, a house clean, uncluttered and with everything in order and in good repair. I know how much I appreciate and notice it in others' homes, so this is the year I make it happen for my space!

Ann

• busybee3
    10 years ago

a new home will be my design inspiration for this year--- will need the motivation tho too! as always, will try to adapt as much as possible from one house to the other, which is never easy...

but, as ann says above, i really would love living in a more uncluttered, organized environment, so that is something i will really strive for this year.... but it's also such a daunting way of life for me!! :(

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Kees, I do not have experience with their leather sofas, but I purchased a sofa and two chairs 4 years ago that are Smith Brothers. I love them - look brand new, especially the sofa. My husband uses the chairs mostly and has squished the arms a bit - but that is his fault; he is really not kind to furniture. I would buy again anytime. I had looked and looked and while components may be from overseas, at least it is manufactured here - and delivery was very fast.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Busybee, following up on my post and your thoughts--it's daunting for me too. I spend sooooooo much time noticing/fretting/feeling guilty about working on things that, when finally tackled, aren't really all that arduous!

Yesterday's project is a perfect example. I've been looking at those strips of unfinished window concrete for almost a year. When I finally got out my primer and paint and methodically went around to the windows that needed to be done, it ended up being just an afternoon's worth of work. And that included hauling out the materials, removing the blinds and drapes from each window, priming/painting, cleaning up the materials and putting the blinds and drapes back up. I guarantee I have wasted FAR more than the 3.5 hours it took to do the job in thinking about how I really needed to get on it! I guess that is what I'm really trying to address; the mental aspect of making myself do all the little or not so little fixes around here.

Anyway, in a contemplative mood this morning I guess. I better log off and go get the joint compound now to start on that wall project :).

Ann

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'm following along the Apartment Therapy "January Cure; Get Organized."
    Right now, my list is overwhelmingly long.
    Declutter
    Repair/Fix
    Pick one or two projects (bedroom? office? kitchen? basement?)

Here is a link that might be useful: January Cure

• igloochic
    10 years ago

My projects are so many and time is so low...that I'm not going to be inspired past the last two years inspirations LOL

But honestly, given we are in a home that kind of requires a certain style, my inspirations are provided by the house. It's a big square victorian mcmansion that requires rich tones, dark woods and pieces with history. Heavy pieces...no dainty lace or flowers...velvets, gold, silver, geometrics and worn leather. Layered with pieces that are both useful and attractive. Easy right? LOL And everything, that means everything, is on display as the victorians weren't big closet people heh heh

I'm trying to quit bringing in the "will make do" stuff and saving for the quality items that we will keep for years. In four years I've had three desks in the library and none of them really worked, so they were never used. We were incredibly fortunate to find a wooten at a beyond cheap price (it's a desk I've always wanted even prior to this house) and it's amazing how a good piece just WORKS!

I'm also inspired by the leaking roof, walls and damp basement, but that's a different type of inspiration.....

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That combination of lgreen, purple and berry in your picture is lovely, Lavender!

I agree with the inspirational nature of clean and organized, that seems to be a unifying principle in these thoughts and comments. Regardless of what we have, want, or plan to get, it is far more enjoyable if it's well organized. The past three weeks our vacationing son has been cleaning out our storage basement (my decorative accessories graveyard, lol) and the local thrift shop that supports our women's shelter has a new "boutique" annex that is stocked with the five full size pickup trucks of stuff he has taken there and all the stuff everyone else has donated after Christmas.... Houses all over town are getting cleared out. In one way it's embarrassing to think we've accumulated that much stuff we no longer need or use, but I am grateful it will go to good use--- in someone else's home looking lovely (if slightly outdated) and whose sale will benefit women in my own community.

Our long time housekeeper has finally retired :-( We've been making do with her granddaughter, who is NOT a long term solution. So I am now faced with finding another person who can do the same job, or at least attempt it. I am biting my tongue looking at all the cobwebs and fingerprints.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Igloo, isn't your home a real Vic? If so I can't see it being a McMansion.
    Is this the type of desk you are referring too that I linked to below?

kswl, I hope you find someone to clean that's as good as your retired housekeeper. I have my first interview set up for a housekeeper on Monday.

Here is a link that might be useful: wooton desk

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Just posting this as I just found it on an open tab on my desktop that I hadn't clicked the submit button earlier.

Thank you Ann. I just found there's a small cleaning service just down the highway and around the corner from me. That was my biggest fear of not finding anyone close enough to mind coming out in the country to clean. My guess is this young lady is about four miles away as she lives on the edge of the little town we live outside of. I've sent her a message and am waiting to hear from her. Hopefully I can find others in the area to interview too.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 1:17

• Oakley
    10 years ago

This year I plan on sprucing up the front porch. I'm not happy with the outdoor rug I bought, so I want a brighter color. New pillows for the furniture, and I need new topiaries.

Inside I plan to finally get the DR and kitchen window coverings I want. I just need to quit changing my mind! lol

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

And in the two steps forward, three back department-I got inspired yesterday and caulked, primed and double top coated the crown molding in my bathroom. Was feeling pretty darn good right up till the painter's tape I put along the edge of the molding ripped several large chunks of paint off the bathroom wall. And OF COURSE the paint was a color that was bought just for that room, and any remaining paint I could use to touch up has disappeared somewhere in the vast maw of long-forgotten and rusted paint cans somewhere in the garage. Unless I threw it out.

So, another job to do: feather in the peeled areas with joint compound, try to sand it smooth (which may be a challenge since it is new drywall, not rough textured plaster like most of my house) and then repaint the entire room.

Oh well...life and organizing and upkeep is a journey! Maybe today I'll concentrate on helping my local Goodwill create a boutique wing with some of our discards too :).

Ann

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Running, DS said the last load he took contained all the topiary forms I have used in the past on the porch--- a large wire teapot, bear and spiral--- and he said they were literally sold to someone as they were coming off the truck.

".....the vast maw of long-forgotten and rusted paint cans somewhere in the garage...."

I just spit out my coffee at this, laughing, for once I think I can say I know EXACTLY what someone means, lol!

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

I join everyone else in a resolve to remove all the unneeded items in my "accessories graveyard" (thanks, kswl!)

We are building a small lakehouse, which will serve as a second home. I have promised DH that I will get rid of any items not usable in the new place.

I already have a motto of everything in its place upstairs; however, I have a warehouse of lamps, rugs, vases, pillows, etc. stored in the basement, DH's domain. It drives him crazy.

We previously had a weekend log cabin, and one of its beauties was there was not one item in it not serving a purpose. It is very emotionally freeing.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

It's nice to know we are all in good company when it comes to our decor stashes and the need to pair down by donating the extras.
    Ann, I'm so sorry about your paint mishap. I hate when things like that happen, but happen they do...

• igloochic
    10 years ago

justgotta...Yes it's like the one in the fourth photo and folded up looks like the 8th photo. It's an amazing piece of furniture I never thought I'd own so I'm tickled pink with it. That said it's against a 1940's pink wall (found under the insipid white wallpaper) that needs to be tackled so perhaps making it's home prettier may inspire me LOL

Heh heh yes it's a real victorian, but in other ways fits the "mcmansion" idea. They built to within inches of the lot end on all sides just cuz they could :p Mind you, builder basic was plaster and lath as well as bricks 18" deep to hold the house up, so perhaps we don't fit that category, but they way they crammed it on the lot and totally blocked the views of two very pretty little vics behind us does remind me of the mcmansion theory. In the days of turrets and fabulous roof lines they built a box, a huge square box which was considered "modern thinking" back in 1890.

I must be careful saying this cuz I don't want Mr. James to haunt me LOL It's a pretty box Mr. James :p really heh heh

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Wow that is gorgeous Igloo. I've never seen or heard of them before. Quite a prize find for sure.
    That is odd that your home was built to the lot line. Most Vics sat on larger lots. Well then again, thinking of our trip to San Francisco, that wasn't always true. Guess I'm used to the Midwest where they were typically built on larger lots.