Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Dark Woodwork: Need Wall Paint Suggestions

Rudebekia
9 years ago

100 year old Craftsman with an abundance of very dark stained oak trim, including built ins and box beam ceilings. Not much natural light. I'm looking to sell this house and want to paint the walls a neutral. Can anyone recommend an off white or another neutral that would add just a bit of warmth against the woodwork--ie. not a stark white? I need to play this one pretty "safe." Thanks.

Comments (17)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If the house doesn't get a lot of natural light, I think you want a neutral that has at least a little depth to it, otherwise it will look blah. SW Alpaca

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 9:15

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Marita40. I dont have gorgeous woodwork. I do have dark woodwork in a house that does not get much natural light :( Below is a link to the colors I tried..... Maybe it will help you. I tried about 30 colors before I found the right one.

Here is a link that might be useful: off white/cream saga :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

People who are looking at at 100 year old craftsman are not looking for a lot of natural light.

We used colors from the SW a/c palette linked above in a 1925 (slightly craftsman) house. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't say they absolutely love the colors. The house does not get a lot of light and has natural woodwork.

Pick colors that enhance the woodwork and the character of the house because that is what someone is buying.

• crl_
    9 years ago

What does your real estate agent suggest? I think that local knowledge about what sells is invaluable. If he or she is suggesting pale neutral, I would go with that. And some agents may even be able to suggest a couple of color options. I know the selling agent for our house chose the paint colors--it was an estate selling.

Maybe try Benj. Moore Antique Parchment?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Valspar's "Pina Colada", mixed at half-strength, is a pure very pale creamy yellow.

It's holding the tone nicely with varied lighting - has not shown a tendency to turn greenish or grey. Worst it does in early pre-dawn is look off-white.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My realtor suggested neutral colors. I do like the SW colors (have used some of them in other houses). But the only deep toned one I'd consider for the living room/dining room is Hubbard Squash and it is simply too dark and too orange for the situation at hand. I might try one of the off whites. Antique Parchment sounds good.

The key is not to compete with the woodwork. Don't worry, I am not painting it!

Am doing "ok" jmc01. Taking it day by day. Appreciate you asking!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Marita, the Antique Parchment is actually Ben Moore. It is also under the name BM Putnam Ivory. I've got it in my dining room . In sunlight, it can look very orange, but in artificial light or no direct light, it's very nice and would look very nice with dark woodwork.

A warm SW white to try might be Maison Blanche, although I do think light colors do better in brighter rooms.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix. I'm familiar with Putnam Ivory and will re-look at it.

I just painted the hallway SW Napery and am liking it. A warm ivory with yellow tones. It seems to set off the dark woodwork well. I may just use it throughout the downstairs.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We used squash on the ceiling of the dining and living room. At first it was AHHH but once the wall colors, Ruskin green and roycroft adobe were up it was perfect.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

What are you doing for ceiling colors?

All ours are Buckram Binding and it does well with our dark woods. Our living room is Hubbard Squash and the LR windows face west. It's great.

Our last house on Lex. Pkwy So. (Just south of Grand Ave) had 1 Portrait Tone bedroom, 1 Studio Green bedroom, Rembrandt Ruby and Strawberry Thief wallpaper in the DR. House sold in 9 days. The rest of the house used other of the AC colors.

Glad you're hanging in there!

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd like to find a lighter, less orange-y version of Hubbard Squash. Maybe SW Blonde. (?) Something that's a quiet gold-toned warm color. That will work with the woodwork and with my rugs and furniture.

Buckram Binding might work well for the ceilings. I do tend to paint ceilings the same as the wall color (esp. if the wall color is fairly light).

Don't get me wrong--I do like the SW A & C colors quite a bit. Just unsure here.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

that Napery is beautiful.

I've found the best way to get a good gold is to actually go with tans. Golds can read very green.

I love the BM Lenox Tan with my pine ceilings, floors, beams. Here is a pic of it. Look at the dark wood frame of the picture on the wall to get an idea of how it looks with dark woodwork. It's VERY warm and glowing in artificial light.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will look at that color Tibbrix. I am looking for a not too dark "golden tan" I think.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Also look at BM Bridgewater Tan and Marble Canyon Tan

Bridgewater Tan

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 11:11

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Marble Canyon Tan

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I have dark woodwork, dark home in the woods. I have BM Shaker Beige in most of the house. I recently removed wallpaper and painted foyer one shade darker which is Lenox Tan.