Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Sherwin Wms paint- did I buy the wrong stuff?

ratherbesewing
9 years ago

I purchased a gallon of Sherwin Williams "Superpaint"in a latex semi gloss. I am painting millwork/trim. The color I chose is great (that's a first), but I am having a problem with the way this paint feels when dry. To me, it feels alike a flat or chalky finish- not silky smooth like I think it should be for a semi gloss. BTW, I light sanded in between coats. Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot to add--it's latex paint.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I happen to have a pro painter working in my house now. I wanted to buy some of the color of the trim that I use in my entire house, while they are having their 30% off coupon sale. It was originally mixed in SuperPaint. He told me that the formula has changed and recommended that I get their Cashmere in a 'medium' sheen level.

That doesn't help you at this point, but it's interesting that I just inquired about the same paint earlier this week.

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is very disappointing 3dogsand unfortunately, I am the pro painter in this house! I thought I made it clear to the paint guy what finish I was looking for. My 1st experience with Sherwin Williams. At this point, I think I might have it color matched at a big box.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I had the same issue with their paint. It comes off if I rub against it or try to clean...semi gloss. Figured it was a bad mix with so much written about what great paint it is. I love the color though and haven't gone to wanting to repaint.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I use the ProClassic latex for all my trim work here in the house. I don't have any problems with that. It is pretty durable.

I've used the Cashmere for our LR and BR walls.

Maybe do a shout-out to Faron. I think he works with SW paints at his job.

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OP here. Just returned from S Williams store. I told him my problem and they recommended the Pro Classic and I have started again. Did I mention I have 13 doors/doorways plus wainscotting to paint? It will be time to mulch by the time this project is done!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Good to hear. I'll think you'll be very happy with the Pro Classic. When I did our LR and hall, it wasn't quite that much trim and doors as your house, but I also had crown moulding. Still, I figure I am not going to paint again for several years, so I do take my time and do a careful job. The white is very bright!

• Xclusive
    9 years ago

I used Pro Classic as well for coffered ceiling, wainscot and columns and love it. I hadn't had any problems at all.

• Xclusive
    9 years ago

I used Pro Classic as well for coffered ceiling, wainscot and columns and love it. I hadn't had any problems at all.

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Somehow I forgot to mention the crown molding which has a dental component plus a 2 story entry. This ProClassic is going on SO much better. Yay!